Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gee Whiz!! EVERY 20 YEARS!!!!

Gee Whiz!! EVERY 20 YEARS!!!!
April 23, 2017 08:53PM
IMG_4474.JPG

I have to do maintenance on my home build grinder!!!!

Runs in carbide grit day in day out. And there goes a bearing every 15-20 years!!!! Do they think I have nuthin' else to do?!!!!

Haha. GEEHSCH!!!!!

This time I lathe turned the drive wheel true. Re-covered the drive wheel. Installed a new drive shaft. The original machine was built using bronze pillow block hardware bearings. The grit got between the shaft and bronze Hub - scoured out the steel. I relocated the shaft end for end probably 30 years ago - put ball bearing blocks on it ... and it ran for about 15 more years. One bearing started knocking a bit. The one with torque on it. Quick fix to get back to work was - swap bearings left for right. That had the better one on the drive wheel. Grind for another 10 years or so with the tapping bearing. Today, everything was a horrible mess. But still making knives last night!!!

Well, the knock got worse. The drive wheel was hopping. Wheel covering was nearly gone. FINE!!!!! FINE!!! I HEAR YOU .... haha. NAG NAG NAG .....

So, a few hours later .... let's get another 15-20 years of grinding! Happy Now??!! ;?) hahaha. (DONT REACH FOR AN EMOJI!!!)

Let's GRIND!!!!

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2017 09:02PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Gee Whiz!! EVERY 20 YEARS!!!!
May 02, 2017 06:14PM
Is that the same (very long) belt for the vertical and horizontal portions, or two different belts?
May 02, 2017 10:26PM
2" by 72" belt Sean. Wraps around.
May 04, 2017 03:26PM
That means that at least one wheel runs on the abrasive side of the belt. Does that one wear out first?
May 05, 2017 01:21PM
You are a sleuth Sean. Yep. That's the "outside the box" I thought up over 40 years ago.

The wheel runs "with" the abrasive. If everything is aligned, there's nearly no wear. I've just renewed that wheel surface for the third time in 40 years. And the last wear was totally premature from a misalignment made by a quick small wheel bearing replacement that threw that wheel off axis.

In fact, funny how one thing leads to another. Yeah ... funny .... haha .... huh Sean. Well the tracking wheel has a crown to it that allows the steering of the belt. I had been having trouble with some belts tracking. They'd have a slow wander to one side. Correct it and it would wander to the other side. Run into the machine, etc. I determined that the crown must be worn. I took it apart and tecrowned the wheel. Perfect. Doesn't take much. That one runs on the smooth side of the belt, but after 398,000 miles or so ... haha, it wore the metal crown.

Sean, I'd have to list the "belt grinder" in most lists of mankind's top ten tools.

Gary
May 18, 2017 10:38PM
It's on my "most wanted" list. Right after a shop. crying
May 19, 2017 01:24AM
Do they make prefab sheds as a cottage industry up there? Here, you can buy anything from a dog house to a two car traffic grade garage at several places in town, and around.

You could really enjoy a one car size shed. And you could hear that pretty quick and easy. Get somebody to spray foam it (hard foam) and you could heat it with a candle.

Then get your belt grinder.

Good to see ya.
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021