Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Time Consuming Details ......

Time Consuming Details ......
May 01, 2017 11:24PM
IMG_4613.JPG

It's things like stuffing the leaves through those vine coils, and not breaking the stems .... stunned

It's nerve racking .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2017 11:57PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Time Consuming Details ......
May 02, 2017 07:12AM
Wow Gary
I often wonder if your pics are allowed more definition than the rest of us . The close ups are really clear and that there is really going to POP electrified when you get the dark background done ! Well done .
I'm excited for Julio .bowing

Thanks
Kurt
May 02, 2017 03:09PM
Hi Kurt.

Thanks. No, I get the same 200k limit per pic set by the forum.

I edit some pics to bring out the detail.

I never enhance them beyond what they look like in person.

This exact pic is from another 97. Another twenty hours laying on the bench. Ha.

Some behind the scenes here: I've worn out several air turbine tools. This one is a veteran and really beyond retirement. The turbine's Chuck is worn. And so it's imperative that the tool burr is secure. Can't have it skating across finished work. And so, the smallest dab of the right adhesive makes the difference. But then, it's an art unto itself. Too much and pulling the bit/burr is fun.

The small detail requires small bits. And, they don't take any abuse. Snap like pretzel sticks if shocked. Cut hardened tool steel with the "correct touch".

Well, I had one particular burr that was cutting well on Julio's knife. I had no more than "thought" a bit of praise for the bit when SNAP. Awhhhhh. That was .... sad. So I pull the stub and prepare a fresh one. A dab of secret sauce. Insert. Begin. Cutting, cutting ...... cutting ............... ........... cutting ............. hummm. Don't say it .... just act like it's normal. Cutting ........ cutting ....... ahhhh .......... cutting ......... seasons change ....... cutting. Ok. I really need to change this to do another type of cut. I hadn't wanted to disturb it cause it was working sooo well. And these tiny ines often break when pulled if anything slips. I go to pull it. It's tight. Nutz. It cuts sooo well.

My eye falls on the other carving project. It's at the point where this bit is required. Hummm. Guess I "could" carve that a while til this bit snaps or dulls. Then pull the stub. Makes sense. Cutting................. cutting............... cutting................ah ............. cutting.................. I've never been on such a run with one of these bits. Either this is one of those 100 mpg carburetors that wasn't suppose to leave the factory ....... or ....... I just really got into the groove ......... cutting ...... cutting..........

And so ......... I sat there carving, so long that my beard begin to cover the work I was trying to see, Kurt. And thus, we have both Julio's parts and this four bolster 97 that's been a "go to" project when I needed to clear my mind .... or sit and work (thus resting my back), or ........ use up aburr that is really cutting well and lasting beyond all reason.

So that explains where this pic comes from. (Oh, also - the light direction, angles, composition, cropping .... make the pics have more punch. ;?)

Gary
May 04, 2017 03:31PM
It's a good photo, really brings out the fine detail.

Know what you mean about the bits though...just think about how well something is going, let alone discuss it aloud, and it's jinxed.

At least, that's the way it goes with my roof patch. Help!
May 05, 2017 05:06AM
Fine tool bits ahhh can be troublesome think I have one or two left in my stash, ha... I have trouble with an 1/8 end mill sometimes! I'm sure the ones used to engrave are many times smaller! This picture really does make everything stand out... there is so much detail and time devoted to these engravings... it's almost as if there is a much deeper meaning to this artwork.... I see some spirals some circles some leaves hmmmm....interesting! I like it..

Matt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021