Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Great day at the Range with the 308 Hawk

Great day at the Range with the 308 Hawk
May 16, 2017 03:10PM
We made it out to the range yesterday and had a good day shooting! Got my best group ever! Thats a 7/16" hole !!
Bob's Best Ever Group.JPG

And a real nice 2 nd group !
Bob's 2nd best group.JPG

Jana couldn't let me have all the glory so she wanted to take a turn.
Jana Shooting.JPG

Here's her best group of the day!
Jana's Group.JPG

We were shooting the bullets that I had cast myself, seems to work good!
Had the 308 Hawk being fed 2500 psi through a regulator, approx 730 fps give or take 5 fps.
Anyway great day, 70 F sun shining and only a 5 mph breeze.

Haven't figured out how to size the picts smaller , I was just happy to get them below 200 k images!

She will shoot if you do your end of the business ! wow

Thanks for taking a look.
Bob
May 16, 2017 03:19PM
Hi Bob,

Great Shooting!!!

Real Nice Holes There!!!

I'm really thrilled to see you enjoying the rifle. Thanks so much for posting!!!

Gary
May 16, 2017 04:16PM
That's some fine shooting by Both of you. Can't wait to get up there & have a go myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 04:23PM by hornblower.
May 16, 2017 06:29PM
Hello Bob,

You have you gear dialed in. Great groups! It must be satisfying to see the slugs flying so straight. Thanks for sharing you pictures with us.

Julio
May 16, 2017 09:39PM
Way to go Bob .
I've only poured a hand full of my own bullets and it's a great feeling. I'm no stranger to lead just never did slugs before . It was a great weekend for shooting but I'm just to busy . Maybe Memorial Day weekend .
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
Kurt
May 17, 2017 12:53AM
Checking back. Just to make sure it really was there! Haha. laughing

Really fine shooting. Great targets.

We done talk about it much, but we have ALL chosen a very technical and difficult sport here. SHOOTING.

Have you thought of how very small a flaw in just any one of a dozen areas, can totally ruin our results?

I'll just name a few odd ones that can make a MONSTROUS difference. Here's one: Concrete shooting benches. Guns BOUNCE off of them. I have been near total dispare chasing evil spirits thru one horrible target after another. Thinking back thru each part of the equation. Checking and rechecking slugs until I'd nearly polished them smooth. Trying this slug. That slug. This pressure. Altering my trigger work. Knowing darned well all of those parts of the equation were correct.

When ...., finally...... a faint bell began to chime waaaaaaay off in the fog. Huhhhh?? ...... the ..... whatttt? bullhorn THE BENCH DUMMY!!!!!

Oh. The bench. AHHHHH!!!!! CRAPPPP!!!!! A FAH REAKING CONCRETE BENCH!!!!!!

I gather my stuff and move to the splintery end of the range. Set up. Calm down. Post targets. Try again. 1 1/2" shotgun pattern becomes a cloverleaf. Just like that.

Gotta work. But, when you get targets like these, they are trophies. Because they are NOT accidental. They prove that an entire string of Stars Aligned to produce those targets. That's what attracts us. The Engineers. The Machinists. Surgeons. Airline Pilots. Nerds. Gary's.

Takes time and effort.
It's sure been great to see my work show it's ability.

Gary
May 17, 2017 01:06AM
Oh .... forgot.

It's not hard enough to pick a sport where ONLY excellence is EXPECTED. Nothing short of SUPERIOR is acceptable. No ....we've chosen to try it WITH FLIPPING AIRGUNS!!!! Not only that. HANDMADE Airguns. HANDMADE BARRELS. HANDMADE BULLETS. Even HOMEMADE HANDMADE bullets. Not just made by the same obvious professional builder who made the gun, but we had him make us abullet mold. So WE can TRY CASTING AT HOME!

WHAT could go wrong???!

And yet, the targets above exist. They DID IT!!! With a handmade AIR gun (made in a small shop by one old guy) and Homemade bullets. Piece of cake.

Hahaha. Oh, I'd use my homemade emoji of riotous laughter if I didn't fear loosingbthe while post!!! Hahaha

Gary
May 17, 2017 08:51PM
You are correct in all issues of trying to get a one hole target from 3 bullets, the stars have to align and everything has to go perfectly!! I really don't think I can beat that target but were going to try and equal it! Thanks for the extremely accurate airgun and bullet mold, the rest is up to me to make it happen and mother nature to settle down to allow it.

Oh yea, I know how exceptional that single hole with three bullets in it really is!!wow

Thanks Bob
May 20, 2017 12:58AM
Looks like a great range session!

Scott
June 07, 2017 01:10PM
This needs some more Eyes.

Hey, don't forget. While ya'll are waiting for me to make more stuff, I'm hoping to enjoy a couple more posts like this one. Big Thumb's Up.

Gary
June 08, 2017 04:55AM
Nice!

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021