May 23, 2017 02:12AM
IMG_5228.JPG

Barnes US Patent Knife .... approx 85 %

Keep watching!

Gary
Re: Copper Mining!
May 23, 2017 05:21AM
Gary,

You never seem to run out of original ideas.

Have you ever considered making an assisted open with the lever on the back when the knife is folded?

Lon
May 23, 2017 03:14PM
Hi Lon,

Yes. Thanks.

I made several hundred of them about 30 years ago.

In fact, this is one too. The lever projects a bit forward from the 11 o'clock position of the bolster area when closed. A flip of the thumb opens the blades. The lever flips around and lays half buried along the top edge. Very slick. Out of the way. This one is a bit more raised with serrations as a visual feature. Most were smooth and polished.

The ones you see today stick up out of the top of the knife when closed and then pass thru the knife to stick out of the bottom when open. 30 some years ago, I decided to keep my lever design more - out of the way. Same concept. Makes a handy one handed folder.

Thks Lon,
Gary
May 23, 2017 03:29PM
Hi Lon,

Your comment regarding me always having new ideas. Ha. Yeah - it can be a pain in the buttstock.

This week, while working, the back room boys in my brain invented a dual lever opening folder. Neither lever obtrusive, but slick members of the blade. They look like quillions when closed. One will flip the blade open, the other will drag the blade out by just flicking the quillion along your pant leg.

I rarely have time to make them. But I do usually stop and record them. What am I gonna do? They don't stop. I guess somebody will buy a box of unique prototype designs one day. I can hear the auctioneer. "Common now. Somebody bid a dolla ... looking for a dolla dolla dolla. Fiddy cent. Now give me fiddy cent.
May 23, 2017 06:51AM
I like it Gary .
What are the little serration's on the top of the blade ? A little thumb stop ?

Thanks
Kurt
May 23, 2017 03:19PM
Hi Kurt,

It's part of the lever opening feature I've always used. This one has serrations for a sort of visual punch.

Thanks
Gary
May 23, 2017 08:28PM
Hey Gary,
I like it winking smiley
Jeff
May 24, 2017 12:59AM
Gary,

I do like this knife concept. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Julio.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021