Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fire at work

Fire at work
June 02, 2017 03:28AM
Wednesday morning I rolled into work as many were coming out. Fire alarm was going!

Turns out our silo had caught fire near the top. Our guys tried to put it out but had to call local fire department. We lost about an hour production but thankfully it wasn't to serious.

One our the maintenance staff got a great picture. Our plant is approximately 13 acres under roof.

IMG_3550.jpg

As we had to evacuate certain areas the local online news photographer was taking pictures. Look who made it onto the site... yours truly!

IMG_3551.jpg

A few people recognized me, haha.

We have had a number of false alarms and small fires so it has become a bit of a joke that when you hear sirens there heading to our facility!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Pedro
Re: Fire at work
June 02, 2017 06:02AM
Exciting. We've had a few of those days in my career.

Lon
June 02, 2017 01:22PM
Hi Pedro,

Your coworker had a long lens from a third story window. Yeah, I don't think that's a phone pic.

Hey, do you run all metal dust ducts in the factory. I saw a shop pic with pvc the other day, and thought I'd read that can cause a static charge to build and cause a dust explosion. What do you know on the subject.

Glad it got contained quickly.

Gary
June 02, 2017 09:57PM
Howdy Pedro
Wow you guys got lucky it was put out quick AND smart enough to call the professionals ! Sometimes people just keep trying and trying to get it them selves .The picture of you looks like they're hauling you off in hand cuffs with your hands together and the guys in blue next to you .

13 acres is a lot of property . Does the silo hold saw dust for recycling? Any way glad nobody got hurt or anything.

Thanks
Kurt
June 02, 2017 10:40PM
Hi Kurt,

I didn't want to say it ..... but that's exactly what I thought. The guy behind Pedro gets turned into a military look, by a peek of car bumper behind his thigh. Looks like fatigue pants or holster. His boots, cropped hair, and grey/blue shirt finish the look. Pedro's hands were holding something in a "cuffed" position. Haha. We've all seen waaaaay too many movies!

Gary
June 03, 2017 04:08AM
Gary, when do you have time to watch movies?

As mentioned guy is one our machinist. He general sports a military type hair cut and wears camo. Our maintenance guys wear gray shirts. He wouldn't mind seeing me in handcuffs as he jokes about things like that a lot.

Pedro
June 03, 2017 02:35PM
Ha. Movies. You are right. No movies. The hour of DVR TV shows during the dinner/entertainment/try to decompress/cycle

Guess we all have the "perp-walk" engrained in our collective memory.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. Kurt STARTED it .... haha.
June 03, 2017 04:05AM
Handcuffs, hmmm no. Actually had two dimes in my hand that I saw on the concrete. Coworkers saw them and wanted to see who would pick them up. Since no one did I grabbed them and immediately the jokes started about being "cheap", "penny pincher" etc. I don't care though it's still money even if only $0.20. The guy behind me is one of our machinist. He strategically placed himself so camera would get him!

Silo holds saw dust which in turn is burned in boilers used both to heat the facility in winter and provide heat for ovens to cure paint.
June 03, 2017 01:46PM
Pedro
I meant no disrespect but hey I've picked up pennies and will always do it . I'd pick up dimes all day if I could . We've had guys at work superglue them to the cement floor and set back and watch .
One of the more cruel things I caught a guy doing was he'd position the crane hook in a perfect line between the time clock ( center of shop ) and the exit door . He would also place it at head level. Of course guys are so focused on leaving work they would run right into the hook on the crane . I never knew why " Joe " waited till 5 min after the rush to leave . He would sit there and watch and laugh .

That when I implemented the rule of ALL cranes must be returned to center of shop above head level when done making pick . It was a funny thing to do but I'm sure he'd felt really bad to get a hook in the eye of a coworker !

Ps: It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye .google eyes

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021