Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Co2 vs Hpa

Co2 vs Hpa
June 14, 2017 10:25AM
So I was wondering why you are not suppose to use oil of any kind on hpa guns but it's recommended on Co2 ?
For years Crosman has given a oil package and tell you to put a drip on the cartridge before piercing. All of my air tools take oil right in the intake side and some even have oilers .
I just recently picked up an Old airgun HPA that leaks when charging. I know the best thing is to take it apart and clean it but ..... I would be oiling all the seals as I change them and install new .
Smaller psi air compressors have dryers on them and so do most of the good scuba / airgun compressors .
Would a drop or two of a very good thin viscosity REALLY hurt inside an air gun while filling ?
Maybe it has to do with the a hydraulic effect at such high psi .
Maybe it has to do with the dirt that would follow the air as it enters the chamber .
Hmmmm
Anyone really know why ? Please advise .

Thanks
Kurt
Re: Co2 vs Hpa
June 14, 2017 12:48PM
Hi Kurt,

It's the diesel effect. Of course, your shop tools are running at 90 psi or 160 psi. Oil won't diesel at those pressures.

And, I think any stray drop of oil would resist igniting in a large chamber like the reservoir. In a spring piston gun, the air inside is rapidly compressed in front of its piston. Compressed into a tiny chamber/pathway. It reaches the heat required to ignite.

When you shoot lubed slugs, oil must migrates all thru the chamber/valve while the valve is open and breech pressure is building - before the slug slips its rest.

Thanks Kurt!!!

Gary
June 14, 2017 01:39PM
)Ahh the old diesel effect . I've heard of old timers using kerosene & diesel fuel in springers. It works for awhile haha . I've picked up a couple of Old air rifles that were so loose they'd rattle. They were very valuable but destroyed beyond repair. Yay ok so I DID buy one or 2 thinking I could fix them . I learned my lesson.
Thanks Gary I love this web sight .bowing

{:~()>

Thanks
Kurt
June 14, 2017 10:15PM
Thks Kurt,

I'm glad you like it.

Some well made commercial compressors are qualified to produce "breathable " air (with the proper filters). Many are not.

They will want to trap moisture though, do they don't introduce moisture into the gun to rust internally.

Remember too, any PCP will runthe same on pure Nitrogen. Breathable atmosphere is 78% Nitrogen. It's very dry as well.

Gary

Left for Med treatment after answering you this am. We just got back. Very busy day.
June 16, 2017 02:30AM
Read through the posts. All good information. I think CO2 tanks produce about 800 psi? I do think you want to avoid any oil at high pressure due to automization making it easier to ignite if a source was close. I could be wrong but seems I read it somewhere. I know you definitely never want oxygen used.

Would the oil for Crosman guns be to keep gasket/o-rings from hardening over time and keep tank sealed?

Pedro
June 16, 2017 09:36AM
Thanks guys
I would NEVER use pure oxygen but being that all types of rubber seals need lubricant to maintain their integrity I would think a drop or two run thru ANY airgun would be good for all the reasons mentioned. My father repaired clocks and watches and I have some very nice oils I've used in the past on my airguns . I'm of course not worried about a fire but the explosion inside the valve wouldn't be good IF it were to happen.
I have seen on some of those outdoor shows where they light a fire with a piston by friction and NO oil is used .Its just dry and they hit it with their hand to cycle it ..

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021