Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Stone setting and picture taking

Stone setting and picture taking
June 28, 2017 02:37PM
Hope you don't mind me showing a couple stones i just set. The pendant is a Tourmaline from Thailand that i picked up from a gem dealer years ago. The second is a CZ.... just wanted to check my steadiness before i try on a real one. I've not been very successful in taking pictures of these items and was thinking i should get a microscope with attached camera. Anyone know how micro photography works?
DSC06556 (640x480).jpg
DSC06555 (640x480).jpg
June 28, 2017 04:40PM
Thanks Steve,

Find out the focal length of your camera. I've had a few that would focus in to 1/2" from the subject.

The alternative is a massive pic file that you can crop out your pic from.

I think Macro photography is gonna do it without going to micro.

Thanks for posting!

Gary
June 28, 2017 08:46PM
Steve,

Funny you ask. I've been using a $20 USB pseudo microscope camera to take gun video and pictures.

I made a mount from an old dial caliper base and just fuss with the light until I'm satisfied.

The video, is a video adjusting the "focus" but it really moves a fixed focus.

Lon

Ruger 10/22 sear
 photo OEM_Engagement_b_zps55burqxl.jpg

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2017 08:50PM by Bigbore.
MicroMnt2.jpg
June 28, 2017 08:56PM
Thanks for the response Gary and Lon. I see some neat ideas there Lon. I have some similar fixtures that i may adapt.
I'll be looking at usb cameras soon.
June 29, 2017 02:07AM
BTW,

Jim and Gary gave good advice about the tripod and macro setting on the camera. It looks to my untrained eye that the camera can take very sharp pictures, you just have to get the lighting right and make sure the subject is in focus, not the lint. ;?)

Try light from the side, your photos look like the light is directly behind you.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 02:08AM by Bigbore.
June 29, 2017 12:06AM
Get a cheap tripod . . . keeps you from trying to hold it steady and will yield instantly sharper images.

Lenses . . . flat field macro is best for what you're trying to do. Something in the 100mm to 200mm range will help you stay out of your way (i.e., not block the light). Lighting it properly is most of the battle.

Penny shot with Phase One IQ 180 medium format digital back (80 megapixels) and Schneider 120mm Apo Digitar Macro lens, downscaled with no sharpness added:

penny_Flat_Macro.jpg

Same shot, small section crop, 100% original size (with some JPEG compression added to get it small enough to post here):

penny_Flat_Macro_100_percent.jpg

-- Jim
June 29, 2017 12:30AM
Hi Jim,

Nice Penny! Ha!

What kind of head gear optics could I get that would give me a nice crisp ten inch working focal length. I have the often seen cheap plastic lense item.

Thanks. Gary

IMG_6032.JPG
June 29, 2017 01:56AM
Gary,

This is what I use for fine work"

Lon
DSC_0358.jpg
June 29, 2017 02:06PM
Love that! Where can i get one.. Ha. My younger days i could do alot of work with the naked eye and 5x. Now it's cheaters, 5x,10x head gear like Gary uses and a stereozoom.
DSC06560 (640x480).jpg
June 29, 2017 03:36PM
Old school is all I got too!
Hands free

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_0404.JPG
June 29, 2017 04:35PM
Does that clamp go on your eyebrow or nose Kurt? Ha.

Yeah, that rig Lon showed is good, but I don't have a Beaverskin Hat!

Fun to get old. I remember when I was about 30, I could focus at about 2 1/2" with my naked eye. Must have broke something..,, ha

Gary
June 29, 2017 01:51AM
Man, look who fell out of the sky.

"80 megapixels with no sharpness added", that's a joke right? LOL!

Lon
June 29, 2017 02:42AM
I'm gonna say no. Not a joke Lon.

Jim owns THE LAST WORD in photography.

You are in the presence ....

bowing

Gary
June 29, 2017 11:03AM
No joke . . . we have a 100 megapixel back too. At that point the lenses start having a harder time keeping up with all that resolution, especially in the corners, so now the manufacturers are going back and designing new glass to take advantage of all of those pixels.

[www.phaseone.com]

Hope you guys are doing great. I've been busy, but in a good way. Getting to do mostly the stuff I want to do / am interested in more days than not.

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 11:08AM by admin.
June 29, 2017 11:12AM
Oh, I believe you. I just found it amusing that at 80 megapixels you commented that you didn't even need to sharpen it up. You could probably zoom into that photo and see individual molecules at that resolution.

Lon
June 29, 2017 12:29PM
Indeed, when we shoot for a certain Federal client, they give us specs based on the size of the smallest resolvable detail as measured in microns. nerd

Back on topic . . .

macro_splat.jpg

-- Jim
June 30, 2017 03:48AM
Steve,

Here is another example of my home studio equipment:whistling

My rig & a bullet( .22 RF).

My old Canon just won't die(probably will tomorrow now that I mentioned it). Macro setting, I simulated the frame that indicates the subject the camera will focus on. I salvaged the mount/base from an old IP WiFi camera that I had and it comes in VERY handy for still shots and video. One "click" "Smart Adjust" with my Adobe Photoshop Elements(lite version of Photoshop) and some additional light added with hand held flashlight. Took two tries.

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 04:00AM by Bigbore.
Rig.jpg
Bullet.jpg
July 06, 2017 03:58PM
Thanks Lon, You gave me an idea. I have an old Bulova microscope, pictured. I can lay the camera on top and these are the images of a 2.4mm wheel with, can you believe 320 teeth. Hard to believe that they could cut those and it was from about 50 years ago. Still, i believe a trade secret. From an accutron 218 btw. Not sure how to get closer to see the teeth though?
DSC06564 (640x480).jpg
DSC06566 (640x480).jpg
July 06, 2017 04:58PM
Hi Steve,

It's a depth perception issue at that magnification. The camera is focusing on your background pattern.

Use an absolutely plain background. White paper? Will better transfer light into the pic too.

That's with an auto focus. With a manual focus, you could see the teeth if adjusted correctly

Gary
July 08, 2017 09:53PM
Steve
That is amazing even for 50 yrs ago all them teeth AND it's only a part of something bigger . There is a whole world out there most don't get to see. I've had this stereoscope for years and it takes a good time to just get in focus but when you do don't touch anything. I'm not even sure what type it is but it's made in England!
I can't even imaging working on stuff that small ( watches) but there's a nitch for a lot of guys that like it !

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021