Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: grinning smiley Last Shop Hours before the show ..., ANOTHER TOOTHPICK! grinning smiley

grinning smiley Last Shop Hours before the show ..., ANOTHER TOOTHPICK! grinning smiley
July 21, 2017 02:54AM
IMG_6386.JPG

It's a different knife. Same pattern Mosaic.

The last hours into work to be displayed and sold.

You guys seemed to like Kurt's, so I've been grinding thru hours to make this very similar piece.

Blade is not yet heat treated. I may tweak the profile a bit. Nice clean Damascus. Probably from about 86.

Gary

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2017 06:52PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Last Shop Hours before the show ..., ANOTHER TOOTHPICK!
July 21, 2017 06:50PM
IMG_6389.JPG

I've heat treated the blade. This is NOT yet etched. Just hardened and the oxide scale scraped off.

I'm trying to figure what I actually did here, back in the late 80's. I had thought it was maybe 86. Might be more 88. It's revealed itself to be a composite blade of looks like three different bars of Damascus. But, not with a complex pattern in mind. Looks neat. Very contrast-ey. We shall see.

It's supposed to be going to a show. I spoke to the Gent last night. I'm very sad to hear my Dealer Friend's Wife, has been found to have a really serious illness. Pray for Mary please.

Thanks,
Gary
Re: grinning smiley Last Shop Hours before the show ..., ANOTHER TOOTHPICK! grinning smiley
July 21, 2017 08:51PM
Gary
That is a very cool looking Damascus piece o Billet blade . I love the layers flowing down the taper and the spine has a kinda decoration. The one black dot in the middle of the blade looks like a star .

Thanks
Kurt
July 21, 2017 09:12PM
Hi Kurt,

Yeah, does look like a star.

Those spots will be gone. They are part of "carbon run" that takes place when the steels hit critical temperature. Some of the carbon leaches out of the higher carbon steels, is absorbed some by the lower carbon steels. It bleeds over the surface too. Busy place as the steels are changing molecular structures.

Gary
July 21, 2017 09:17PM
IMG_6393.JPG

In the process of sanding now ....
July 22, 2017 05:44PM
IMG_6396.JPG

After heat treating, sanding, and polishing.

Now to the acid etch.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021