Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Knife Making - Forged in Fire

Knife Making - Forged in Fire
July 22, 2017 04:34AM
Recently got into the History show " Forged in Fire". Some of it is interesting while another aspect you know is strictly for tv. It is interesting how guys with simple tools are winning the episode over guys with expensive tools and supposedly 15-20 years behind them.

Gary if you have seen the show, how does it compare to what you do? Do you forged blades at all? I know you use Damascus blades and assume you make them yourself.

Thought I would post this and hopefully hear from a few.

Pedro
July 22, 2017 05:41AM
Gary,

Good time to showoff the forge with the custom cast front.

I would like to make some blades some day. When I get all of my other projects done, I'll give it a whirl.

Lon
July 22, 2017 01:15PM
Hi Pedro,

Yes. I forge. Currently, the setting up of my forging shop isn't finished. But it's very much on my mind.

The Damascus blades I use are my production from the Maryland Forge. I have a supply laid back as I worked on other blades.

When you make Damascus, you make a "billet" of the material. It is sufficient to make several blades. Generally I'd use the energy to forge out a billet of Damascus, and then forge/stretch off several blades from it. Those blades are not just cut from flat bar stock Damascus, they are hammered to shape. That "compresses" the layers to the edge, and yields different characteristics then if it were ground from Damascus bar stock.

I used soft coal fired forges for years. Burned up a couple. Then moved to a gas fired Forge. I built my self designed power hammer around "80/81". I've seen a couple segments of the show. What I saw of the particular individuals that day was heavy on the TV part.

Be glad to answer any questions.... thanks!
July 23, 2017 03:51AM
Gary,

Thanks for the reply. Much of the show I find is drama but you do learn a few things. The pressure of a time limit really hurts a few individuals as they want to focus on aesthetics rather than the qualifications given to them.

On season 2 now I think 2nd episode. One guy said he had made over 22,000 blades in his life. Yet he failed to get the correct heat treat on the blade. Of course the contestants are given criteria that isn't generally practical like using a crowbar, lawn mower blade, axles and mystery materials and having to use their own judgement.

Most bladessmiths I would assume start with known material as they understand the characteristics of it.

I hope you get your forge setup! Love to see the self made power hammer. Show like this really make a guy want to try it but I got enough on the go!

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021