Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

target plane Preview: 97 Southwestern Bowie SOLD, SOLD, SOLD .....,. ADDITIONAL PICS!!! "festive"

target plane Preview: 97 Southwestern Bowie SOLD, SOLD, SOLD .....,. ADDITIONAL PICS!!! "festive"
July 28, 2017 01:16AM
Guys,

When I've been quiet, it's because I'm working intensively on one thing.

I had tried to make the show this weekend with another fine Toothpick like Kurts. It wasn't to be. The Damascus Blade didn't cooperate. No matter. I moved on to make this blade; and made it a bit thicker, wider, longer, and traditional Bowie shape.

It's going to be a GREAT knife.

I'm in the process of carving the other side. I wanted to show you what I'm doing. This will be 10 1/2" Blade open.

Common guys. This was met to stay in the Family here. Check your couch cushions. Truck glove box. That bandaid box in the garage .....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2017 12:28AM by barnespneumatic.
IMG_6481.JPG
IMG_6482.JPG
IMG_6483.JPG
IMG_6484.JPG
Re: target plane Preview: 97 Southwestern Bowie boing
July 28, 2017 02:32AM
Holy smoke Gary
That's a pretty awesome knife . To bad about the blade but looked what came of it .
Sweeeeeet excited

Thanks
Kurt
July 28, 2017 05:25AM
Gary,

Homerun! Beautiful.

Lon
July 28, 2017 06:20PM
I've been drawing and carving ..... and carving.

IMG_6493.JPG

Critique?
July 28, 2017 08:57PM
Gary
It looks amazing . I looks like your going for symmetry . It appears that you still have some pencil lines to engrave yet .
I would think for a pattern type mosaic you would need it but for scenery , exact symmetry would be required. Either way it's amazing
I really liked the southwest style eagle you put in the handle of the other scale .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2017 09:04PM by kurt wag.
July 28, 2017 10:43PM
I'm darkening the final pass on both now. Oh - I loved that Inlaid Eagle too. That was Coral. I have some more. I also have ideas ... neat stuff

I love this knife so far. More detail in the first side and the second side is done now.

The sides are always "Complementary". To my mind - "two originals beats one original and a copy". Copies can be strained. Thumbs up

Gary

Pic soon .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2017 12:45AM by barnespneumatic.
July 28, 2017 10:48PM
IMG_6498.JPG

Cleaning and darkening final pass now.

Gary
July 28, 2017 11:33PM
CLEANED - POLISHED - BACKGROUND DARKENED

IMG_6507.JPG

IMG_6508.JPG

I REALLY LIKE THIS.

Height Carbon Stainless Steel.

Gary
July 29, 2017 12:34AM
Hi Everyone.

Great News. I was contacted via our PM System.

THIS FINE 97 SOUTHWESTERN BOWIE IS NOW SOLD

Thank God. That's very helpful.

Gary
July 29, 2017 12:48AM
What do you guys see in the second side. You realize the two bolsters are different because of the button release. But, what do you note in the carving/scenery?

Thanks Guys

Gary
Re: target plane Preview: 97 Southwestern Bowie SOLD, SOLD, SOLD .....,. ADDITIONAL PICS!!! "festive"
July 29, 2017 02:57AM
Coyote howling at a full moon on a mesa, cactus, wagon wheel laying against a rock, steer skull..........

Lon
Re: target plane Preview: 97 Southwestern Bowie SOLD, SOLD, SOLD .....,. ADDITIONAL PICS!!! "festive"
July 29, 2017 02:37PM
Good list Lon. Good eye.
July 29, 2017 01:25PM
Gary
I see all that Lon mentioned and also a couple of agave plants / tumble weeds . I really like the way you joined the pattern from the natural materials on the scales into the metal work engraving. I'm not sure what it's called but the blockey pattern adds a lot . Is that a Native American/ southwest design ? I've never really been west passed Colorado but have seen the pattern on blankets and such . I love it .

Thanks
Kurt
July 29, 2017 02:20PM
That's great. Just one more detail I put in there. I'll wait a bit. Hint. Related to that broken wagon wheel.

Good job guys. It was enjoyable to carve.

One more thing to consider. With the design, you have a palette of two items. Chrome and stark black. You make the eye see a picture from those. And, when you create a scene, you must create "distance" into a flat piece of metal. Enjoyable

Gary
July 29, 2017 02:35PM
Thks Kurt,

These are things I've pulled from my experiences. I like to drag one format into the next and use various methods. The mirror of the woven pattern into a frame fro the scene seemed like "the thing to do at the time". Ha. Glad you noticed and liked it.

Gary
July 29, 2017 10:03PM
Gary
I've looked at the wagon wheel and I see something that might be a snake but my wife says an animal. I'm sure glad someone snatched that one up quick . It's truly a masterpiece .
Can you explain the Damascus issues ? Did it delaminate or were the inclusions too deep to grind out ? Maybe you just ground it too thin after being caught in the grinder zone chasing the pattern. I've fixed a lot of the issues I've mentioned with a welder before but NEVER on Damascus steel or a knife blade . It was really hard to tell anything was there after grinding and sanding.Maybe the temper would be affected from the heat . Hmmm

Thanks
Kurt
July 30, 2017 02:42AM
Hi Kurt,

The blade just wasn't up to the knife Kurt. I've quit on many Damascus blades thru the years. Never a happy topic. Ha.

But it gave me the chance and drive to make the Work you've judged a masterpiece. Thank you.

The extra feature I carved into the design is subtle. It's the Wagon Trail leading back between the Mesa an the far Cactus. Multiple cuts of Wagon tracks. Not just one lonely set. It's related to the Busted Wagon Wheel, since the busted wooden part was just abandoned while the iron tire was taken.

Gotta have a complete story.

Gary
July 30, 2017 04:04PM
Up above I. The thread, there are pics of the blade. If you have wondered why there are lines and crosses in the blade .... it's the reflection of the suspended ceiling support grid above the workbench

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021