Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Maintenance Man wears Gucci Loafers!

Maintenance Man wears Gucci Loafers!
August 09, 2017 07:07PM
How the mighty have fallen. Well, limped around anyway.

As the CEO of BARNES GALACTIC, I was slumming in the shop last night .... making a special piloted cutter on my largest machine lathe ..... when ..... SCREEEACHHHH!!!!!!!size] GRIND!!!!! SCRAAAAPEEEE!!!!!

HOLY RUINED BALL BEARINGS!!!!! WHAT WAS THAT!!!!????

What a noise. It was like a plane crashing into a wood chipper.

And when I tracked it down, with shaking hand .... I found a brass rod had fallen thru the guard grill on the lathe motor's fan, and broken the cheesy plastic fan into pieces ... which then continued to "blend" inside the housing. Lovely.

And so ALL I had to do was to move EVERYTHING in the shop to gain access between the back to back machine lathes, prompting cleaning of the inaccessible area, and then take the motor cover off. Removing the engine from a 1957 356-A Porsche is child's play by comparison.

I'm fixing the fan, etc.

My left foot has a bunch of ailments. It's here too. Not being a bit of help.

The new special project is right on schedule!!!

Gary
August 10, 2017 06:30AM
Man I hate it when that happens . Do you hafta get a new pair of Gucci loafers ?

Thanks
Kurt
August 10, 2017 02:05PM
Yes Kurt, I do. But those were nearly six month old anyway .....

"festive"
August 10, 2017 12:13PM
Dude,
When did you get a 1957 356-A Porsche??? (Yeah, I know that's NOT what you said smiling smiley
I'll give you $5,000.00 for it! Hahaha. How can you be schooled in rare collector cars TOO???
Sorry about the foot and the frustration.
Hang in there,
Jeff
August 10, 2017 02:01PM
Jeff,

Now, you know that we both REALLY want a Daily Driver 1964 356-C. With the Roller Bearing Crankshaft. As you know, the C had gone through all the refinements of the entire 356 Series and had creature comforts too. We are both "Creatures" now Jeff, we need the refinements. With the intro of the 911 in 63, all that development was shelved.

Now, we COULD get a 912 which, as you know was the new 911 body with the highly refined 356-C's 4 cyclinder engine. A hybrid of the previous and the contemporary models.

Ah Jeff, what a world it would be, if each man could enjoy those fine and worthy things that they appreciate!
August 10, 2017 07:39PM
Well, in my younger days when things were good, I happened to own a 57 356A in Silver. She was a beauty and i remember cruising down the highway at about 85 with that flat 4 wailing away when suddenly the engine died. I was able to cruise off the highway 2 miles to a safe area. The car had not much rolling resistance. What it did have was a mechanical fuel pump that let me down. A pin had worked it's way loose and the only way to get it back in was a complete disassembly of the pump. I miss that car!
August 11, 2017 01:55AM
Amazing Steve.

In 1979, I managed to buy a faded Dark Red 1957 356-A. Bought it from a Military guy who had had the thing all over with him. Mostly in China. I retain the Chinese License Plate.

The guy figured it had about 250,000 miles on it. It was tight as a drum.

Gary
August 11, 2017 04:50PM
Wow, Lot of miles and i bet some interesting places that cars been too. Wonder if it's still around? I have a friend who has a 58 coupe 1600 super in red with a bursch exhaust. They are quite livable in modern traffic, unless some inattentive driver rear ends you. The 6 volt lights are not that bright. Oh..... i could go on but.....
August 12, 2017 12:56PM
Hey Guys,
It's nice to have dreams, nicer to have memories. Thanks for the tales!
Later,
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021