Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SOON TO RELEASE!!' bullhorn "Sherpa" SOLD SOLD SOLD... bullhorn

SOON TO RELEASE!!' bullhorn "Sherpa" SOLD SOLD SOLD... bullhorn
August 21, 2017 01:12AM
It's the "Sherpa" that carry the packs, set up camps, handle the tough behind the scene labor. It seems like a great name for a Companion Knife to wear old as you use it daily.

It takes a lot of work to scale designs and make them pleasant to use. This is my "Saddleback Lock" design.

This is a carbon tool steel back spring with Stainless tool steel blade. Walnut case.

This "Sherpa" is $375us. Plus $15 for the Postman. USPS PRIORITY. (The knife was reworked. It was stripped of its lacquer finish and Gun Stock oil was applied. The blade was changed out for a hand forged pattern welded Damascus blade. The blade now rides on polished custom washers. It was sold for $625us).

Drop your marker here!

Thanks very much! I'm going to try to make a steady supply of these.
Enjoy,
Gary

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2017 11:31PM by barnespneumatic.
IMG_6794.JPG
IMG_6795.JPG
IMG_6801.JPG
IMG_6802.JPG
IMG_6799.JPG
IMG_6803.JPG
IMG_6806.JPG
Re: "Sherpa" FOR SALE ..... bullhorn
August 21, 2017 02:14AM
thumbs up Terrific looking knife.
Re: bullhorn "Sherpa" FOR SALE ..... bullhorn
August 21, 2017 02:00PM
This knife has a very thin blade. Those are really great for daily use. Many years back, I made a folder for a lecture I gave at a Bladesmithing Seminar weekend. I made a saddle back folder from a recycled commercial band saw blade. That stock was thinner yet then this blade. I used that knife heavily, for maybe 15 years. It's the only one of my knives I've kept. Kelly loves this design of my knives. She forbid me to sell that one. Ha.

This was carefully planned. All the stuff people say they like. Let's consider:

1) walnut WOOD.
2) Stainless blade
3) unique locking design
4) nice CLICK
5) extremely light weight
6) relatively modest cost considering
7) individually hand carved sides
8) pocket sized
9) smooth all over - no snags for pocket carry
10) Unique. You can go to the heart of knife collecting, and
nobody is gonna have this style
11) Old World Charm
12) Recommended by Kelly

Now that's a fine list of features. There are a LOT of steps in one of these knives. That is an absolute minimum pricing scale.

Thanks very much,
Gary
August 21, 2017 03:56PM
Beautiful work Gary,
I love that blade shape and edge geometry. Thanks for sharing!
Later,
Jeff
August 24, 2017 12:31AM
I'd really really really appreciate a bit of comment on this knife design. I appreciate Pedro and Jeff. Thanks guys.

What I'd like to hear now is opinions:

1). What do you think of the materials? (Now, it could be that ya'll just passed out at the sight of Walnut .... hadn't thought of that ....
2). How about the size?
3). Blade shape?
4). Handle shape?
5). You like that bit of incised carving?
6). What do you think of the price/work?
7). What would it take to make it appealing to purchase?

Pick a question or answer all. I'd love it if you would, please.

I honestly thought the knife would sell in five minutes or less. I have now tried over and over to strike that key thing that would just be a consistent background producer. Pocket Cases, Coins, Pendants, Cuff Bracelets, Endless pocket knife designs for wide wide price spreads. Honest to God, I know you guys just "haffta" understand
the critical need for that steady product. Similar pieces made to patterns and accumulated during odd hours. And, I'm sure somebody in the back is rolling eyes and saying "how about ..... Airguns?" Golden idea! They average about a month each. I'm trying to get to where I can take the ones in storage, with three weeks of work already in them; and finish them for you. But, there has to be income from an item I can work on when I'm tired. When I have a headache. When I just hurt. When I just opened the shop in the morning. When it's 45 minutes before I close at night. And the products I've tried have all been .... "prototype, make the patterns and jigs, tool up, smooth out the process kinks, and then take far too long because it's new or I'm rusty with the given process". Then, I've finally made one. Yayyyyy!!!! It took far too long. I then tried too hard to market it, and at the finish, I made about $3.50/hour .... and there's no clamor for more. "Hey Gary, when are you going to make some more hunting cases???"

So; I ask again for comments. Are we trying here class .... haha (can't risk an emoji - they dump my posts often). I'd pick a big old smiling guy - harmless - just really asking friends for help. Just LOOK at that faceeeee.......

Finally; I thought this knife was just darned near perfect in every way. Hardly a ticket to wealth, but a "helper". I was worried if I'd set myself up for not being able to do them for that price.

So; how about that list of questions??? Please.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2017 12:42AM by barnespneumatic.
August 24, 2017 06:05AM
Gary,

It looks to me like it hits the gentleman's carry niche really well.

Questions 1-6, spot on. The only thing I could suggest to guild the lily is, I haven't see any knives that don't have some type of opening assist. thumbnail-open seems to be a thing of the past.

Lon
August 24, 2017 01:08PM
Thank you Lon,

Good idea. Can do.

Gary
August 28, 2017 06:55PM
This knife is under priced ....
IMG_6933.JPG
IMG_6934.JPG
IMG_6935.JPG
IMG_6938.JPG
Re: HOLD HOLD HOLD bullhorn "Sherpa" FOR SALE ..... bullhorn
September 27, 2017 11:12PM
This little knife is finally coming back .... to be for sale .... with a Damascus Steel Woodgrain Blade from BPN. The blade has been shaped, surface ground, fitted, and hardened. I'm now finish grinding, sharpening, and etching.

Really fine and unique knife now.

Gary
Re: SOON TO RELEASE!!' bullhorn "Sherpa" FOR SALE ..... bullhorn
September 28, 2017 02:05AM
Gary,

I like the pattern of the carving. Reminds me of my Appaloosa.nowthatIthink
I haven't said no yet....

Scott
September 28, 2017 11:09PM
Gary,
This was a fine design with the old blade and will be even nicer with damascus steel I'm sure. I love the saddle back design and if it had been ready in January, it would have been gone.. but I love the one I purchased later.

Karl
September 29, 2017 02:26AM
Thks Karl,

I think the blade is nearly done. Bluing of background oxidation is setting in tonight. Hope to have it tomorrow. I had a Gary incident which I worked thru. No harm to product .... just absorbed 3-4 extra hours.

Morning.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021