Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maintence - why I get the big bucks ....

Maintence - why I get the big bucks ....
September 20, 2017 11:53PM
IMG_7333.JPG

Must replace wirn out bearings and busted journals on power hammer.

These are the "Replacements". These journals are nearly 11" long. 1 7/16" shaft. I bought these as salvage probably 35 years ago. Good thing I had them. Price those out. Phewweee.... The ones on the Power Hammer now are damaged. The hammer had a run away once due to me foolishly applying some belt dressing to the flat belts. The run away damaged the top bearings. But these are much heavier units then the hammer ran for 25 years. So; win win, once I get them on the top shaft. I have to now press these stubs out.

IMG_7335.JPG

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2017 12:28AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Maintence - why I get the big bucks ....
September 21, 2017 04:08AM
There ya go. I got the bearings, locks, and journal/bearing carriers ready for the hammer top shaft.

The bearing itself is about $109.00 and the bearing and carrier $250 new or about $160 used. Since mine were in very good shape, I felt that was the way to go.

Gary
IMG_7343.JPG
IMG_7346.JPG
IMG_7345.JPG
September 21, 2017 04:15AM
IMG_7342.JPG
September 21, 2017 05:16PM
Gary,

Great that you had these pillow blocks around. Another reason no to through away "old stuff" as it takes up space. the new philosophy at many manufactures is "Lean", through out what is not used.

New bearings and that power hammer should run another 25-35 years!

Keep us posted, we wanted to see the hammer producing!

Pedro
September 21, 2017 05:34PM
THANK YOU Pedro. I really appreciate the interest.

Yes, I'm gonna keep my eye out for anoth old set so, in 35 years, I can swap them out again!

I knew they'd be pricy, but $500/set was even more than I guessed.

I've always put as much stuff on wheels/casters as possible. Boy, I found a deal at TSC a few days ago. 3" sintered iron wheels on ball bearing 360 swivels. $4.95 each !!!????? Huh??? Yep. True. Amazing. 300 pound rating. Plan to put the gas Forge on a rack on them.

There will be some Forged work that makes it into Airguns too. Especially pieces with antique and traditional features.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021