Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Other Projects.... and More GREAT NEWS

Other Projects.... and More GREAT NEWS
September 26, 2017 06:21PM
Starting with the Great News: Background....

I've had trouble with my right eye for a couple of years. There is a membrane attached to the front of our retina. It forms in the womb. It serves no purpose after birth. It stays in place between the inner eye gel, and the retina. But it's not required.

In many people, around their sixties, this membrane will degrade, become detached, break up, and settle into the gel of the inner eye, below the line of vision; where it simply remains as debris. During break up, it's parts, cast shadows on the retina. They can effect your vision, depending upon where they are. They are suspended in the inner eye gel - as "floaters".

I have had such a problem with my right eye for about 2 years. I had what appears to me, as a bug splat on a windshield; at about 2:30 in my vision. Getting used to this is a real treat. The shadows move as you move your eye. Soooooo; it appears as if some insect is swooping by your face. Looking at the workbench, it appears as though some bug is scurrying among the tools. When driving, looking as a clear blue sky is revealing. You can notice another six or so ... more faint and translucent in appearance.

About two weeks ago, one of these appeared in my left (strongest eye). It appeared smack in the middle of my vision, where I read, and looked like a fingerprint on my glasses. Bummer. Then, while eating lunch with Kelly, Kurt, and Jake .... GOOD GRIEF!!!!! There was a dozen in my left eye. And what looked like a tear top to bottom .... on the left edge. To complete the freak out, when walking into a dark bedroom.... strobes of flashing light around the periphery of my vision. Like an old flourscent tube trying to light. That will FREAK you out.

You start recalling words like "Torn Retina", "Macular Degeneration", and a lot of very sad thoughts.

Kelly got me in to my Eye Doctor this morning at 10 am. And, THANK GOD, it's the same darned thing as the right eye. It's detached in the center causing the smear spot. The host of shadows are the wrinkles, and the light show is from it mechanically tugging on the edges of my retina.

I start a course of anti-inflammatory drops. Then a course of Steriod drops. It will diminish and break up.

I've been quite concerned, as anyone would be. Diminishing eyesight would be worse than death for someone who has spent their life making detailed artwork.

When you wonder if I'm out chasing squirrels or not giving you adequate attention, there is always a reason. And I share the concerns and the blessings. I don't know if you or someone you know may find my experience useful to your life some day. We don't live in multigenerational groups anymore. I'm very aware that I never had the benefit of life lessons and spending time with senior generations. So; I tell you what I learn. Maybe it will be useful.

I'm extremely grateful. Extremely relieved. Thrilled that I'm not loosing my eyesight. That's been quite a load.

I wanted to share our Excellent News.

God Bless,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2017 04:26AM by barnespneumatic.
September 27, 2017 11:07AM
That's great news
Nothing worse than not knowing what's going on especially in your eye's . Hopefully it clears up as good or better than the other eye .

Thanks
Kurt
September 28, 2017 11:16PM
Gary,

Glad to hear that this latest challenge is treatable. I can only imagine the stress that this was giving you. I'm keeping you and Kelly in my prayers.

Karl
September 29, 2017 02:23AM
Karl

That is very kind of you. I really appreciate it. Thankfully I did get to the Dr soon, and the diagnosis was familiar. But the rapid onset and degree of symptoms was scary. I still had plenty of time to worry.

For readers. It is a terrifying prospect to consider that your eyesight may be rapidly failing. And, I understand that most probably see me as just an endless train wreck. I'd ask readers to consider though; what if it were you. And, the hits just kept coming. You know that people are sick and tired of reading about your latest new health issue. But, you have the Drs appt because you are quite seriously in need of treatment. Some things just go on the list and will have to wait. But the prospect of failing vision goes right up there. I feel like a fool, yes. There are so many things that can block a day. And, they rotate thru. They aren't one clean "he was hit by a meteor". No, it's a killer foot/toe, with a migraine, aggravated by several inflamed discs, and chased by phantom bugs scurrying across the workbench. Etc., etc. It sort of breaks your concentration, if you can imagine.

But, through it. I work.

And, many many people have far worse days. So; I do my best and try to bellyache as less as possible for me.

Thanks Karl,
God Bless,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2017 12:44PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021