Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A BUNCH of Pictures!

A BUNCH of Pictures!
October 11, 2017 03:12PM
Interesting pics I've come across recently. Hope they start a conversation.

We've been busy in the shop. Had Drs. appt. Treating my eyes. Back and feet have been a real challenge lately. Lot of pain. But, plz enjoy some pics and ask questions. Thanks for checking on me, here in the shops.

IMG_7727.JPG

''Tis the Season to get ready for The Season. We have added some new choices to our products. Please keep us in mind when you want a unique gift for any occasion. Often the items are laying right here complete. They go right out when you choose from the finished products.

IMG_7729.JPG

How do you like the new Sunshine Die used to create these Repouse' Pieces in Antique Roofing Copper! $55 and $3.00 for a bubble bag USPS delivery.

IMG_7730.JPG

Hand tied Bails.

IMG_7745.JPG

Also $55 in our Happy Florida Sunshine. (Keep some for a rainy day!) hah!

IMG_7731.JPG

80's file art!

IMG_7732.JPG

Early 80's Scrimshaw

IMG_7733.JPG

70's hand made Folder with wire inlay

IMG_7734.JPG

90's Wire Damascus with Bubinga Handle, Titanium Guard, and carved Black Pearl.

Continued ....
October 11, 2017 03:22PM
IMG_7735.JPG

My First Bowie. It got sold in a heartbeat and I don't think it was even signed. I took a group of knives to a sporting goods store in a handmade case. A guy came in and wanted to buy them ALL - AND the case! And there they went. If you ever see the Bowie, there's the story. Ha.

IMG_7736.JPG

My first Pocket Knife!

IMG_7740.JPG

A great Wire Damascus Blade!

IMG_7738.JPG

Quite the slicer!

IMG_7737.JPG

Cutting piles of 1" rope!

IMG_7741.JPG

90's Art Folder

IMG_7742.JPG

The 80's accounted for soooo many beautiful Barnes Knives.

IMG_7745.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the pics! Keep us in mind please!

Gary and Kelly
October 11, 2017 11:37PM
Nice collection of pictures from an earlier era. Those are some very nice knifes and great designs, no wonder you were a master bladesmith so early on !
I like the new medalions also, what is the size/diameter of these? I take it they are pendants but I can be wrong, dont know how big your pliers are?
Thanks for sharing Gary.

Bob
October 12, 2017 01:24AM
Hi Bob

Thanks.

The Rays of the Sun are 1 1/16" point to point across 12 and 6 ... 3 and 9 o'clock.

Just came up from shop and all is down there. Will post some measurements tomorrow.

Thanks for asking.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 01:27AM by barnespneumatic.
October 12, 2017 04:19PM
Hi Bob, and All Readers,

This Sun Burst Pendant is 1 3/4" in diameter.

IMG_7762.JPG

The Leaf shaped Pendants are approx. 1 3/8" by 2 1/8" Face. The Round are approx. 1 3/4" diameter.

They are an Aluminum Alloy and light weight. Always beautifully bright (Kelly loves these much more than her Sterling Jewelry which needs to be polished with each wear).

For the time being .... these are each $55 plus $3 to ship.

Hope you enjoy them!
Gary
October 12, 2017 04:23PM
Hard to photograph mirrors without half a day set up. These are Sunburst, Dolphin Breeching with water splashing, Seahorse, and Sunburst. All in Stylish Art Nouveau Style.

Gary
October 12, 2017 09:58AM
Gary
Beautiful work . The bails with the leaf work is outta sight too ! And well the knives of course are just a beauty to behold . The testing is really cool to see also . It's really the main point of a knife for me and the craftsmanship haaa second to none .

Do you remember this knife here ? It also came with a "display" case
Sorry for bad pictures!

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG
October 12, 2017 01:53PM
Here's an interesting fact; YESTERDAY, I came across that stamp used on the wooden case, and showed it to Kelly. I made that stamp and ACID ETCHED those letters, mirror image, on the end of that hardened steel shank. Hah!

I didn't know that I made any of those cases in New Windsor. Those were the result of my youthful exuberance. I carved out the inside of the walnut planks in the shape of the knife. Blended the concave recesses. Then stretched and glued in a felt liner on both top and bottom. Now, I didn't do all that for nothing ya know. I charged $30 for the case .... WITH pics of the knife being built. Duhhhhh.....

You'll have to post the knife. I don't know which one it is.

Thank you Kurt!
Gary
October 13, 2017 02:04AM
Pretty sure that case is my Grandfather's Cherry wood from the 30's or 40's.

Which knife did you find in there?

Gary
October 13, 2017 06:59AM
IMG_0808.JPGAhh Gary
The 80's I remember them well .
You did a lot then too . I'll call this lucky find my Swiss Army Barnes .It has to be the best piece in my accumulated Barnes repertoire of edged tool art! ( Woah did I just say that )I'll get more pics as time allows. (19 hours work yesterday)But I'm sure you remember this display item you made now . It also came with a signed blueprint. I love this piece .
Thank you my good friend. I wish I'd have known you in the 80's
Ps I believe serial number is # 312 or # 372 Oct 1981. There is other script about a " display " piece inside the dagger slot .Also I've heard there were many articles featuring this knife . Maybe you can explain better than me .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 09:15AM by kurt wag.
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0814.PNG
IMG_0833.JPG
October 13, 2017 02:25PM
Well, You got yourself a great one there Kurt. And it looks absolutely pristine. That fellow told me he wanted a good fish'n knife. He must have wiped it off every trip. Hah!

Hey, you know that story I tell about how the original owners don't keep good records (or any records) for the family. And the next generation gets this stuff and they have their heart set on owning a Jet Ski or something .... so ..... they just make a little pile of collectibles in front of a dealer. They add pieces to the pile, until he has offered them the price of the Jet Ski. They don't know or care, that they are being offered twenty cents on the dollar. They are only thinking .... "Dude, I traded Dad's old stuff for a JET SKI!!!" Whooooh. So, anyway Kurt. That amazing piece was $8,500.00 in 1981. It went to a business owner in Pennsylvania.

Looking at the detail, I'm amazed at the crisp etching. And the detailed fit. I recall the tools I had in 81. But; no matter your shop, the key tool that you need to make something like that is ................................................................. it's buyer.

I should have smelled a rat from the beautiful grain in that Cherry. But I just didn't pick up the scale, which I should have from the size of the stamp.

Enjoy it Kurt. Can't think of a better place for it.

Gary
October 15, 2017 12:44AM
Hi Gary
Yes the knife is pretty well taken care of mostly do to the fine wood case and great craftsmanship. The wood is a little banged up but the felt inside still looks great . $8500 bucks in 1981 ya say ????! Definitely would bet you had a good bunch of months/ hours working on that with older school tools & at ABS master smith pay !I hear what ya say about keeping records and such and then BAM pop died let's get rid of all that stuff. It's the same at farm auctions I've been too . Pennies on the dollar . Just get rid of it ALL .

Well I won't say what I paid but I could have gotten a really nice Barnes air gun with xtra engraving or and or a pocket full of knives .

Thanks
Kurt
October 12, 2017 03:47PM
Hey Gary,
Been down and out lately but just had to comment. Serial number 41 - WOW! Now that there is my kind of knife, absolutely beautiful!
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff
October 13, 2017 07:06AM
Howdy Jeff
# 41 is a sweetheart of a knife . With all those curves it really doesn't look like it should fold up . Hope you are on the mend . Nice hearing from ya . Hang in there !

Thanks
Kurt
October 13, 2017 12:18PM
Thank you Kurt, I'm trying hard.
Later,
Jeff
October 13, 2017 01:53PM
Hi Jeff,

I wrote you a post here. I split the thread and moved it to the "I'm just say'n" section, after my long response seemed to change the nature of this thread.

I keep you in my prayers Jeff, as I know I'm in yours. Thank You.
Gary
October 13, 2017 02:26PM
Gary, Gorgeous work, both old and new. I have to agree with Jeff that #41 is dazzling...as is Kurt's boxed knife. That really is something special. Hope your feeling better Gary, and you too Jeff.

Karl
October 14, 2017 02:15PM
Thank you Karl!
October 14, 2017 06:49PM
Thanks Karl,

My pain level varies widely from hour to hour Karl. I appreciate your well wish.

Jeff and I are quite similar. Very close to the same age. Very similar values. We are both used to work. We feel that, if we are conscious; then we SHOULD BE working. So; when an injury or chronic pain sets in, it's not only serious physical pain ... but it's chronic stress too. And, we are both smart enough to not just be talked out of it. We know the cards. Know we NEED to work.

And so; we both do our best. Which has differing results, depending upon the nature of the physical pain, and the pressing level of stress. So far; I've never had a simple level 4 pain during a stress level of 2. How about you Jeff? Haha. If there's a "default" setting, it's solid six or above pain, during 6-7 stress level. Then, it spikes. Hah!

If you don't laugh, it gets real.

Thanks for just sharing a thought or two. That really helps. Hurting while you feel like you are alone on a raft really sux. "A Chat Helps."

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021