Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 3D Printer Handle - Printer Progress

3D Printer Handle - Printer Progress
October 12, 2017 02:39AM
Hello,

A few years ago I found a CAD (computer aided design) of a Steyr rifle. Saved the model for future use. I like the hand grip. I thought maybe it would be a great fit for my 308 build. I printed the hand grip as is to feel it in my hand. It felt really good so I will make a few changes to fit my design. Perhaps also make a forearm stock as well that will be 3D printed.

F6068FD9-65E3-4B99-99CB-41F061EE4BFE.jpeg

Tonight I got back to working on a 3D printer. Instead of wheels and bearings it will use IGUS plastic linear bearings. Much cheaper than linear ball bearings but relatively accurate.

4A215034-B7C6-4ACA-AB93-C56B33BB141A.jpeg

I made spacers for the remaining timing pulleys. Hopefully can do more next few evening, days as I really want to get back to the 308 build.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

Pedro

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 02:51AM by pedrog.
October 12, 2017 08:29AM
Pedro
That looks nice . I can even see a grain effect similar to wood . Is the plastic good enough to use for a true grip ? I know some of that media is very brittle after time . My son went to robotics camp in upper Michigan and they had 3~D printed trophies they made at the end . These had articulated parts that you could adjust . After a year or so it cracked once when I was admiring it . I super glued it back but never mentioned it !

Thanks
Kurt
October 12, 2017 01:24PM
Hey Kurt!

If you had the tech, you could have laser scanned that part, and printed a new one! Or ....... if you had the shareware, and a 3D printer, you could have printed a new part.

Superglue! Sounds like the pre-digital Stone Age Barnes shop! Haha.

Funny
Gary
October 13, 2017 09:45PM
Hi Kurt,

I used PLA plastic which will not hold up in the sun. Once I get more time will enclose the printer and try ABS plastic. Machinable and stronger. Also you can smooth it using acetone vapour.

I think a printed grip could be used, definitely strong enough. Very light. If nothing else serves as a great visual for carving from wood. Or could use on a duplicating machine.

Pedro
October 13, 2017 02:49AM
Pedro,

I've made a few gun parts too. I really enjoy making useful items, especially since Wal-Mart cornered the garden gnome market.

I will eventually make some parts for my printer, I want some belt wheels that can be tightened as the belts age so the they can be easily adjusted. Too many other things going on now though. Next year?

Lon
October 13, 2017 11:45AM
Guyz
Hopefully some day I'll get me a 3D printer . I can think of a lot of uses for sure . Even if a lot of them would be just playing around .

Thanks
Kurt
October 13, 2017 03:40PM
Kurt,

Get one that ooooozes paste for sinchtered metal! Yippie!!!

Gary
October 13, 2017 03:43PM
Kurt,

I would get comfortable with a 3D CAD program first, if you are not already. DesignSpark Mechanical is a free, easy, powerful program that will export the file to a printable format.

When you start looking around, you'll realize a 3D printer is handy for many things. I have a small electric motor fan that was delivered with broken blades. I could return it but, but since the fan blades are just 3", I'll whip one up in CAD and print it. I've also designed and printed a target trigger for my Ruger 10/22 and a 1/2 dozen custom magazine releases.

They are an amazing technology.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 03:45PM by Bigbore.
October 13, 2017 09:51PM
Lon,

That is a really neat application!

I know a lot more parts could potentially be made. Take the whole AR-15 crowd, printed lower receivers etc. AR-15 are considered “restricted” firearms in Canada
October 15, 2017 01:40AM
Thanks Lon & Pedro
I'm sure there are lots of uses I could come up with if I had one in my tool box . We used to use auto cad at work and still do sometimes. Maybe santa will get me one . I've been nice all year .

Thanks
Kurt
October 15, 2017 03:40PM
Do any of the machines oooze ceramic paste, to be fired into a tough unit?
October 16, 2017 04:23PM
Gary,
They now ooze just about anything you want them too. Daniel Defense is now making silencers for their line of AR's with a printer. I don't know the entire story but they are usually made out of the most durable stainless alloys there are. They get extremely hot (red hot) and have to last for 80-100,000 shots. I was flabbergasted when I read about it!
Later,
Jeff
October 17, 2017 10:28PM
Gary,

These are hobby printers for around $400. the pros have been making metal parts with various print processes for decades I believe, it was the price of the machine that made it a tiny niche. GE said they are going to start using printing technology to make production turbine engine fuel manifolds IIRC. Faster and better they claim.

Lon
October 18, 2017 03:12AM
It's all interesting. I suspect the manifolds are ceramic. I know some turbo impellers are.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021