Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boy Scout Barnes display

Boy Scout Barnes display
October 14, 2017 08:30PM
Gary
I had to start another post for this knife . It deserved it .
Almost 40 years ago you made THIS !! It really deserves a professional photo shoot but here's my pics . Each picture is a different view . The first starting with a drawing from Gary's head . Next pics are the slide out inserts hidden inside the knife which are all Damascus and decorated with abalone. The rest of the pictures kinda speak for themselves with extensive file work & different lock back blades opened. There is also a hidden compartment ( pill box ) hidden with file decoration INSIDE and out . I hope you enjoy it as much as I do .

This knife looks like a Mercedes! He he

Ps : I made the hammer in shop class about 40 yrs ago around the same time Gary was making this knife IIRC !

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2017 08:35PM by kurt wag.
IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG
Re: Boy Scout Barnes display
October 14, 2017 09:38PM
Thank you Kurt,

And, btw ..... nice hammer. Green bowing

Did anybody note, the date on knife 41 that you liked was 12/78 I believe. And then Kurt jumped out with this piece from .... was it September 81? That is less then 3 years. Glad you enjoyed no.41 but in looking fairly at the workmanship there, I'd say that is straining to get out of the 1's on a 1-10 scale. It's simple Blade was ground on my first store bought belt grinder. I got a wholeeeee bunch better at inlaying wire, shortly after this. In fact - 41 could have been my trial inlay over, by the looks of it.

Kurt's knife here is a solid 8 on the workmanship scale. In 2 plus years, I have had my rented house burn down. Moved. Gotten Divorced. Rebuilt a 1 car 1890's garage into my shop. Built a Forge. Learned to Forge. Built a rolling mill. Built my power hammer. Completed all of the agenda and testing to be granted a Master Bladesmith's Rating by the ABS.

This knife now has excellent Maidenhair Twist Damascus blades and flawless Damascus Bolsters. I've mastered working with Pre-ban Ivory .... (note it's not cracked all these decades later). This knife was built before I taught myself to machine (. This knife is largely bench work. 19th century technology. Not the Star Trek 20th century stuff I have now!! When I built this - no milling machine, no metal lathe, no most of my current tools. Hahaha.

But, anyway. Study the two knives. Biggggggg difference. That was in 2 plus years. You suspect I've learned anything else in the following 36 years? Wink. Maybe.

Thanks for sharing Kurt. I did have professional photos done then, I think. I'll look.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2017 12:02AM by barnespneumatic.
October 15, 2017 12:56AM
Gary
The appeal to the knifes is the shape and the curves on # 41. It's got a great blade design and shape and the wood handle shape with the curves ..... it all just works great together.
I know that I've used and carried almost all of your knives that I have and I'm sure you appreciate it . This one I have NOT carried or used . My tackle box is full anyways but I sure have showed it off . It really takes a good 1/2 hour just to look at it .

Thanks
Kurt
October 16, 2017 12:26AM
Kurt,
You got a real beauty there. One just can't truly understand the intricacies of a Barnes knife with out seeing it in person, and holding it in their hands. I'm still trying to figure out how that Swiss army knife fits together. You might have to get your son to help you make a video to post....

Scott
October 16, 2017 02:27AM
Thanks Scott,

Took me a few minutes to remember too ... you know all those intricate "filework" patterns? Well, in some of the pics, you are looking down into the INSIDE of the knife. All the parts were fileworked and polished DOWN INSIDE the knife too! Everything was detailed and fitted well throughout.

The original proposal blueprint and the knife itself have differences. I had freedom to work within my design as I saw fit. That was quite an ambitious project. I had evidently laid the groundwork, for a 27 year old to be taken seriously when I drew that up and told the client, "I can build you this." Ha

Gary
October 16, 2017 04:19PM
Well done Kurt, thanks for that!
Gary... really, really impressive piece/story/history.
Thanks Guys/
Jeff
October 17, 2017 08:37PM
Hey Scott
I wish junior was home but he's off at school . If you look at the fourth pic up from bottom the scissors fold up inside the piece that's surrounding them . The dagger and toothpick blades all fold up like a regular multi blade . In between them another piece opens like the blades to reveal the scissors and pill box . The scissors just saddle inside loose . There is a small little thumb grab on very end to open cover which is only 1/2 open in the picture with scissors and main knife again 4 th up from bottom .The small knife and utensil slide into the end of the knife by the clamshell decorated lock blade releases . The mechanics of the knife are still very crisp with noticeable detent . The abalone is only on slide out utensils. Every single piece of steel on the knife except the brass liners is Damascus. The scissors themselves are highly decorated / filed with flush mounted rivets.
Well hope I explained a little better but like you said you really can't appreciate it until you fondle it in person. Also it truly takes a half hour to look at it and notice everything.

It's a true masterpiece!artistbowing

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2017 08:40PM by kurt wag.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021