Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: THE SPECIAL I PROMISED boing FOR SALE! bullhorn

THE SPECIAL I PROMISED boing SOLD SOLD SOLD bullhorn
October 19, 2017 09:10PM
These TWO KNIVES have been overlooked. NOW SOLD SOLD SOLD They are each very fine knives. take a bow

The Mdl 97 is the prototype for a modification to the Cam Anvil Bar. It's marked inside as such. It's the first one I designated as a "Tradesman " model.

The Aurora is the first designated as "Executive Tweed".

Both have versions of Linen Micarta Handles. The 97 has Nickel Liners, the Aurora has Brass.

Both have extremely smooth mechanisms.

I want to post this so the pics and text appear together. I'll continue in the next window ....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2017 03:17PM by barnespneumatic.
IMG_7938.JPG
IMG_7939.JPG
IMG_7940.JPG
IMG_7942.JPG
IMG_7943.JPG
October 19, 2017 10:21PM
Here's something that coincides with me still owning these two knives: I get some surgery in about a week. I've had a mess with my left foot. No details other than, despite constant treatment and care .... it has become terribly infected. I've had a couple Docs act like I'll be lucky if they stop cutting once they start.

Now; it hurts like blazes now. I can't imagine it's going to feel much better when they get done. I just might have to have some couch days, and I also have to buy the surgery.

The knives are; $650 for the 97. That's extremely fair. There is no meat on that bone. It's much nicer than that. It's also special to me. I searched out and carried home that Micarta in 1975. I was tickled to death. I'd become a REAL knifemaker. That's what ALL the cool knifemakers were using. Every book. Every article. And .... I HAD SOME!!!!

The Aurora is $500. It's well worth that.

HOWEVER: IF YOU ARE QUICK - for cash .... I'll do the pair FOR $1,000us

Drop your marker please. NOW SOLD SOLD SOLD - thank you, sincerely!

Many Thanks,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2017 03:19PM by barnespneumatic.
October 21, 2017 01:18PM
Gary, why do you keep tempting me?why me
These knives look great!

Scott
October 21, 2017 04:42PM
Hello Scott,

Please allow me to give you my logic regarding these two knives.

I find that so much of the life of a Craftsman depends upon psychology. They probably won't enter a trade having any knowledge of psychology, but; if they pay attention, they will earn at least a Bachelor's Field Degree.

The Public's Image of "You and your Work", become fixed in stone relatively soon after your first public introduction. There are many, many Craftsmen who have made careers of making "Clean" knives. Well made. True grinds. Quality fit and finish. And yet, "without" filework. Without engraving. Without carving. Without inlay. Without Damascus Steel. Clients know what to expect, and will fight like Black Friday Shoppers over sixteen knives, which all look identical ... save for one serial number digit cut onto the knife. And then, there are makers who file, engrave, and augment most of their work.

Now; with that background, lets go to the New York Custom Knife Show. Two Knifemakers are equally well known. "Maker A", has knives for $600. They are as clean as a new snow on Christmas Eve. That's what he makes. "Maker B", has ornamented knives for $1,200 ..., AND he has several "Clean" knives for $300. He had decided that the many folks who had begun their conversation with "Now I don't need anything fancy.." - actually met just what they said. Ok. It was a good show. "Maker A" sold every one of his $600 Clean knives. He's happy. "Maker B" sold most of his $1,200 knives". He's happy too. However; he will carry back home, his three $300 knives. You see ... according to the Index Card in Buyer's minds .... "Maker B" doesn't make "Clean" knives. And buyers won't buy them ... even when they are under priced. And so, "Maker B" will retrofit then, at lost expense, in order to make them acceptable when compared to what he is "supposed to" make. Because most buyers would rather do without a "Maker B Knife", than to have an underpriced exceptional tool, made by him; which doesn't fit the profile set between 1975-83. "Them's the rules,". Haha.

And yet, every few months .... "Maker B...... I mean Gary", thinks .... "hey! I'll bet they'd enjoy a less expensive knife to carry every day!!!!" And to his fevered brain, it just sounds like a good idea! "No Maker B, It isn't. Dummy!" You make them clean and the fit and finish is exceptional. You make 'me so you know they'll give great service and be a great companion. However; they always lay around for months until you tear them apart, at a loss, and upgrade them .... or use the parts to make one for twice the price. At which point, people can honestly say .... "that it's difficult to afford." (Emoji of little guy beating his head). And, the sign on the door reads Pscy 401. "Well, if you wanted to make affordable clean knives, you should have thought about that in 1975 .... now shouldn't you?" Haha. "That'll learn ya!"

There ya go Scott. Don't do it! There are decades of psychological torment riding on you!!! If you buy them, you just may rip the Space/Time Continuum .... and we'll all find ourselves in a world where Gary can also make and sell .... outside his profile!!!! Yikes!!! Oh, and he can pay a couple bills and sit down for a couple of days, if needed. No pressure.

Hahahaha.....

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2017 11:41PM by barnespneumatic.
October 21, 2017 11:26PM
Thinking of adding these "Executive M n M Holder" models .....

Huh??? Yes?? Hummmmm?
IMG_7965.JPG
October 22, 2017 10:36AM
Gary,

Finally a Barnes piece I might be able to afford. How much for the "Executive M n M Holder"? How many payments can I spread that out to?
I checked and am positive I do not have an "Executive M n M Holder".

I was thinking a nice fun wood to work with like Cocobolo. ha ha..

I loved both knives but all the good stuff in life seems to be out of my reach. sigh.

But you never stop amazing me.

Larry
October 22, 2017 02:58PM
Hey Larry
You do know the m&m's are only for display purposes. The don't come with ! more innocent

Thanks
Kurt
October 23, 2017 12:42AM
Kurt,

I was shocked to find out the displayed candy was not part of the deal. That should have been marked and noted in photo. I have to check with my Lawyer (he plays golf Tuesday through Thursday) but that could be a deal breaker.

Gary responded but no mention of the displayed candy as part of the deal.

All kidding aside I wish I could afford one of his wonderful knives

This is a fun thread

Larry
October 22, 2017 04:10PM
Hi Larry,

I'm running cost analysis on these now. Accounting is off Thursday thru Tuesday here at BPS. They have quite a Bene Package too. I've been trying to get a transfer ....

Hey .... did you notice .... nobody wanted my "Exec. MnM Holder 'as is' .... ". Everybody is a frustrated Designer! Here I've devoted my life to M n M's .... and what do I get ....

Haha

Gary
October 23, 2017 12:59AM
Gary,

As a frustrated designer I think the M&M holder in Cocobolo would go nice with the large wooden spoon and fork hanging on my wall next to the framed "Dogs playing poker" on velvet. (the full size one not the cheap 2' by 4' China made copy). I have a nice unfinished wooden door on two saw horses as my work bench in the living room and the Cocobolo M&M holder would look great there.

Did I mention I am Divorced and live alone?

Let me know when you hear from accounting. See above message regarding if the M&M's pictured are included.

Larry

P.S. Fun Threat.
October 23, 2017 03:46AM
Dear Larry,

I've been notified by Shipping (they were pulled in at time and 1/4 for weekend work), that they HAVE located a Cough Drop, a Blue Pill, and Raisin. They did, however note that they cannot guarantee, when shipping to the opposite side of the globe, that the items will arrive in the shown positions. This just in .... "a green marble has been discovered under the vending machine in the employee lounge, and we would be happy to include same, as our gift. There was an additional 12 pages provided which discloses that the marble (as well as) ... the pill, cough drop, AND the raisin ... have been deemed to be CHOKING HAZARDS in all 50 States AND the District of Columbia."

We here at ARMorAZON BPS, are extremely grateful for your business and hope you will visit our webpage, LIKE us, write a five star review, sign up for our newsletter, download our Ap, accept our cookies, active the tracking portion of our Ap, and donate to our "Save the Plywood" fund which was started by our Founder and Thief ... "old wazhizname."

All of us here say ...
"Saaalute!"
October 23, 2017 09:02AM
Gary,

Even in pain you make me laugh out loud and I thank you for that.

All fun aside, I cannot afford a Barnes Knife but remain a loyal reader and friend.

I hope your Doctor stuff all turns out well this week.

Praying for you from half way around the world.

Larry
October 23, 2017 03:15PM
Thank you Larry.

bowing -- Far East
October 22, 2017 12:37PM
Gary,
Do you have 2 models? one for plain and the other for peanut? And then there are pretzel M&Ms which are a little bit bigger. 3 models? If I send you some scrap wood, do you think you could make a set in Brazilian Cherry?why me

Never mind, I like the "plain" knives better....wow

Scott
October 26, 2017 07:59PM
Hello Scott,

At your suggestion, I "made a set in Brazilian Cherry."

I regret to inform you that the first one taste like crap, and other one rolled out of the Holder, off the table, under the vending machine .... and near as we can tell; it now occupies the exact location in which the green marble was found.

Gary
October 26, 2017 09:50PM
laughing

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021