Looks Pretty Good to Me .... grinning smiley
November 16, 2017 10:06PM
Not too bad for an old guy?

IMG_8471.JPG.

IMG_8472.JPG

IMG_8473.JPG

IMG_8474.JPG

IMG_8475.JPG

Thanks for Reading. Please share with folks.
Gary
Re: Looks Pretty Good to Me .... grinning smiley
November 16, 2017 10:47PM
bowingWow Gary
I swear sometimes I think YOU are the only one allowed more than 200 kb on your pictures . Not that there's any thing wrong with that . That picture looks so crisp . But I know first hand how the pictures are only close to how the craftsmanship looks in person .
Good job
You are da man

Thanks
Kurt
November 17, 2017 12:06AM
Thanks Kurt,

Nah .... the rules apply to me too. They're all under 200kb. I usually set the pixels for 595 on a square pic. If it's a skinny pic in one direction because of cropping, I can take the long side to 700 pixels. Most are about 595 by 450 .... which is technically about 267k ..... BUT ..... so many of the pixels for background are repeats, that the program just says .... next 50 pixels are brown .... and that cuts the file size. IIRC. Look at me .... getting all Geeky ....

Anyway .... the key to a good pic is light and clarity. Then ..... take 20 .... sort. Take ten more .... sort thru them. Thumbs up.

Oh .... and you need a GREAT SUBJECT!!! Hah...

Gary
November 17, 2017 04:00AM
The thread was accidentally closed Thursday evening. It's been reopened, once discovered.

Thanks,
November 17, 2017 03:22PM
What's next???

I face that question each morning.

I work until 8-8:30 each evening and then close for dinner. Just can't get a better system to stick. If I close at six and go sit and eat, I become so achy from relaxing for most of an hour, that it's darned hard to come back down the lane to reopen the shop for another hour or two. If I work thru til 8, I really could keep going ... but then we haven't eaten. Kudos to Kelly for adapting. She has dinner clear up to 9 many nights.

IMG_8486.JPG

Yep. Nothing like a great supper with a little salt and ..... Fritz???? Hahaha

IMG_8485.JPG

Then, I try to give myself a hint as to "what's next?" For the following morning...

IMG_8484.JPG

It worked! Found the bandsaw .... part cut .... back to the lathe ....
November 17, 2017 05:29PM
Wow Gary, as I've said earlier, that is awsome engraving. It is really tempting me...
November 17, 2017 05:39PM
Ahhhh .... it's WORKING!!!! Haha.

So glad you enjoy it Karl. More coming too. I really like these theme knives ...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting Karl

Gary
November 17, 2017 07:49PM
Yummy dinner
I love rice with a dab of butter .
So I can only guess that the steps in the button release are the calculations on the note card . And now to the lathe . Why wouldn't you turn what you could first and then part down to length? I'm just wondering. I have a reeeeeaaal hard time doing any and all those small intricacies that you seem to do with ease and extreme precision.

Thanks
Kurt
November 18, 2017 03:08AM
Hi Kurt,

This part is the blade Hub. I'll harden this tool steel barrel/sleeve that the blade turns on. There's not just a pin or bolt thru the blade. The bolt goes thru the Hub which goes thru the blade. Each end of the Hub is inletted into the case of the sides. In this way it it bullet proof for movement cause the ends are buried, and the sides are pulled in tight against the ends to prevent the blade tang from being pinched. Only thing required is perfect alignment, perfect diameter, perfect length.

Sometimes I use cut offs I grind. Usually, I bandsaw them off and face to length. Cutting off tool steel shafts often is frought with stress. Bit chips. Work chatters. Small cut off escapes never to be recovered. Mainly it snags and breaks a great well ground cut off tool. I hate that. So;this Hub was faced, drilled, diameter finished, band sawed, faced, spun finished, hardened, tempered, polished. That's 1 lousy green dot on the checklist. Haha.

Gary
November 17, 2017 10:43PM
Gary,
I think that is one of your best( to date ) engraving on a knife! Awsome job!!
Who ever bought it will have to walk around with a magnifying glass to show people the true
details of the engraving! Plus the inlay work is Outstanding !

Love it, Bob
November 18, 2017 03:12AM
Thank you Bob,

That's 18 separate canvases to design, lay out, cut, and finish. Pretty thorough project. Glad you recognize how unique it is. Thanks very much for commenting.

Gary
November 20, 2017 09:21AM
Gary,

How do you keep topping yourself? I am lucky to do the same thing twice in a row.

Loved the knife a real show stopper.

But I also loved your dog trying to blend in with the rug with the great hope of some tiny bit of your dinner hitting the floor.

Great work.

Larry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021