Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BARNES HAWG LEG 50

BARNES HAWG LEG 50
December 01, 2017 12:26AM
IMG_8840.JPG

IMG_8844.JPG

The Hoss 45 and the HAWG 62 .... have collectively brought in 65% of the SMILES from my PCP work.

I've wanted to bring up the burners under the boiler in the gun shop for some time. At least once each six months; I design another heavy pistol. I draw it out in detailed shop drawings. I then file them, and go back to what I have to get done right then. I go back. I refine. I verify. I augment.

We will figure out the how ... shortly. But tonight, I wanted to show you a great concept. This could be made as a Hawg Leg Pistol ... or a Hawg Leg Carbine.

There are so many variations including different Guards, to stock Carving to Metal Engraving.

One BIG problem with these, is to keep the weight within reason. I have that covered here. I could also make it in a 1" scale version. But - I digress.

This is proven Barnes Tech. If I draw it, it will work.

How do you like it?

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 04:42PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: BARNES HAWG LEG 50
December 01, 2017 01:15AM
Looks great Gary! Some nice figured wood and hoss's curved lines you will have a winner

Greg
December 01, 2017 01:17AM
Also, love the drawing do you have any for the other guns you have completed?
December 01, 2017 01:54AM
Hi Greg,

I make "shop drawings" .... the mechanical drawings with the inner workings, parts, usually all sorts of numerical notations.

Here, I did it a bit different. I made overlays and finished out the extremities of the drawing. I don't post the mechanical drawings. And, once I've made a gun ... then I have pictures galore. But; if I understand your question, there are tons of detailed materials in my files. Yes.

thanks!
Gary
December 01, 2017 03:04PM
Gary
That's a great concept drawing. I'm thinkin a carbine with removable buttstock would be the best . I've seen a few with a wire skeleton stock and even a wood insert . You just can't give me choices . I'll be thinking about it scratching my head crazy .

Thanks
Kurt
December 01, 2017 04:44PM
IMG_8840.JPG

First posted version ...

IMG_8844.JPG

Second posted version ....

Another Overlay. Different look. Carries the eye in a linear fashion. I'm giving you full size renditions overlaid on the shop drawing. I can't show the details of the interior. I don't post those, but also ... it just looks like an X-ray of the gun. Only thing I can't completely mask is the vertical lines of the edges of the overlay. The eye "does" catch those and it carries it vertically. But those wouldn't be there (crossing the Stock wood, etc.) on the real gun.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 05:14PM by barnespneumatic.
December 01, 2017 04:52PM
Hah ... can't give you choices!

I'll bet the new pic doesn't help.

Saw a Tee in a Diner once .... "Order what you want .... eat what you get!" Haha.

Does that help??? Hehe.

There are endless ways the gun could be stocked and dressed out.

Sure. A shoulder stock is possible. The most secure interface is a Thru Bolt or a Draw Bar. That has to have access they the shoulder plate. Usually then, that won't be a ventilated pad.

Gary
December 01, 2017 09:56PM
These 50 caliber Pistol and Carbine, are designed for:

1. The Barnes 50 Raptor Slug @ 297.7 grains (300) or ....

2. The Barnes 50 Hornet Slug @ 190 grains. Or ....

3. Soft Lead Round ball of approx. .498"-.500" (this dies NOT mean that any old SLUG will fit at .498" - .500". That is the size for ROUND BALL. Well, huh??? What size does it shoot???

I'm certain you recall that Slug size is determined by Slug design. How is the Slug configured? Slab sides? Rings and grooves? What is the lead hardness? Makes a huge difference. Well, why wouldn't a Slug and a Ball be the same size? Same barrel isn't it? Yes it is. But the ball rides deeper in the grooves if it's going to be accurate. Well, what about BLOW BY if the Slug isn't BORE SCROUNGING? Ah ... an old discussion comes to life. Gosh, we ought to have a forum to discuss this stuff ... huh? Haha. Too much to get into here. It should be base material. We'll assume I know it and I'll tell you what works. But you have to promise not to just go grab any old fishing weights and launch them in my PCPs. Deal? Ok.

Questions?

Comments?

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 12:43AM by barnespneumatic.
December 01, 2017 11:39PM
Hmm
I've got a .50 cal gang mold for a ....... OutRyder Barnes. I've not mic'd them out but I'll bet they size up nice . I'm still liking the longer wood pistol grip on the first one. So you've decided on stacking ??

Ps: I really like open sights too . They add so much too the look and make the shooter do his or her part .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 11:46PM by kurt wag.
December 02, 2017 12:08AM
I'm posting three more pics right now.

With your Outrider Mold, you have two of the three patterns already.

Your mold is ...... ahhhh ..... let me look ..... #151. You have the Hornet, Raptor, and Carnivore.

Pics coming ....
December 02, 2017 12:28AM
I'm trying to give you a look at what it's like to be in my head as I view a design.

Hope you like these as well.

IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8868.JPG

IMG_8859.JPG

Now also the first one ....

IMG_8840.JPG

And the second one ...,

IMG_8844.JPG

I hope the time has been worth while. To give you a look at the beginning of a new Class.

Best,
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 10:16PM by barnespneumatic.
December 02, 2017 10:43PM
IMG_8872.JPG
December 03, 2017 02:01AM
Gary, I really like the new design. I can't wait to see you build it. The last pic you posted with the carved hand grip was my favorite.

Karl
December 03, 2017 03:44AM
Thank you Karl.

I'm really glad you like it. I'm glad you told me. Nice to hear that.

Gary
December 03, 2017 03:46AM
Oh ... btw .... its parts have been on background build. I have barrels, billet housing parts, valve body parts, intake, and reservoir parts.

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 01:49PM by barnespneumatic.
December 03, 2017 10:39AM
Gary,

Looks great and cannot wait to see it. I have always liked hammer airguns. Very common on local made guns in the Philippines. Most here are a bit crude so I cannot wait to see a really well made one.

Nice.

Larry
December 03, 2017 02:08PM
Nobody has noticed (commented on) an optional feature I put in, that I thought you'd all like.

I'll personally approve a "Self expense paid 4 days and 3 nights to wherever you want to buy a vacation!" ... to the person who finds it.
December 03, 2017 02:48PM
Hi Gary
I did notice the morel mushroom bolt that looks really cool but I wasn't sure if that's what it was supposed to be or not . Also the bottom tube under the reservoir. Is that a reserve tank or a ammunition type of container. Probably the spring mech for the hammer . Hmmmmm

Thanks
Kurt
December 03, 2017 05:29PM
Bottom tube is spring tube yes.

I'll use a mushroom on your bolt knob. Be gentle. All others will be stag or brass. Right! Big winner!! Where are you taking yourself? You've already been to Florida this year.
December 03, 2017 07:01PM
90 views. Which drawing did you like?

It's also interesting (to me anyway) ... I could put any length reservoir or barrel on. Very nice to make a Carbine or rifle.

I could also extend the rear reciever area for more scope.

I could use a 1" schedule reservoir, and then wrap the smaller Caliber barrels in a shroud. No room for fat reservoir and fat shroud. It would get too tall.

There are soooooo many considerations built into this design. It's hard to build appreciation for what it could do.

I feel this is a really special set of variables as drawn and shown.

Can't wait to enjoy one. I plan to build at least one for a customer who missed the original Hoss.

Sorry I've lost so much to Karma. But, I have to do my best to process our health and life needs. Oh, I just heard that home sales are at a peak in both sales and valves. I was very tempted to shoot the radio.

Gary
December 04, 2017 06:20PM
This one has some nice lines to it, the bolt handle is a great touch! I especially like the hammer design you don't see many hammers like that in the airgun industry, some higher end pcps have em but it's definitely not standard in the airgun world!

Nice sketchs,
Matt
December 06, 2017 02:18PM
Thanks Matt,

Nice to hear from you.

Agreed. Not a lot of hammers. Linear hammers are standard because the simplest ones are just a Slug and a Spring in a tube. It you include tracking glides and bearings, with spring guides, etc., it gets far more time consuming. The hammer is a trick to get power from. Especially if you raise the caliber.

Gary
December 05, 2017 12:53PM
Gary,
That's a nice looking pistol!
I could see a morel carved into the brass handle of the bolt to go with the acorns and oak leaves of the grip....
Any one of your prototypes would look great!

Scott

kurt wag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Gary
> I did notice the morel mushroom bolt that looks
> really cool but I wasn't sure if that's what it
> was supposed to be or not . Also the bottom tube
> under the reservoir. Is that a reserve tank or a
> ammunition type of container. Probably the spring
> mech for the hammer . Hmmmmm

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021