Advanced

1,000 feet .....

1,000 feet .....
January 18, 2018 07:08PM
Of CAT5e exterior direct bury cable.

IMG_9848.JPG

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2018 07:10PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: 1,000 feet .....
January 18, 2018 09:06PM
Gary,

You know there are length limits on the technology, right?

Lon
January 18, 2018 10:09PM
Hi Lon,

Thanks ... yes I do.

I've been repeatedly told that 200 feet is considered the "absolute maybe" distance.

And I know from my personal experience that my 300' run has worked perfectly for the past two years or so. (Except for a couple of dead modems hit by lightning).

Also know the 250' packaged bundles are ..... not 300'. Next jump up is 1,000 feet.

And the 1,000 ft bundle is chump change more than the 250' bundle.

And, by using a repeater, or a booster, or the direct HTML ports on the Studio modem, I'll bet I might get the next 75' to the lower shop by direct bury cable. We shall see.

Wish me luck. That's after we see if I survive the flu. I tried some brief shop pencil time yesterday. Couldn't concentrate. I tried a brief session today. Too dizzy to be safe. Most of my coughing has moderated. But my leg pain is serious. Concentration is shabby. I had to bail. Got a short stroll in the Artic breeze. Invigorating

Gary
January 25, 2018 12:27PM
Hi Gary:

CAT-5e is indeed spec'd to support 100m runs (328') at gigabit speeds if properly terminated. That last part is super important -- sloppy terminations cause errors and will slow you down. I used to make my own cables but have switched over to buying pre-terminated cables (CAT 7 for compatibility with 10G base-T Ethernet equipment) that are at least as long as what the specific run required -- I can't compete with what those cable-making machines can consistently produce, every time, at the price at which they're now available.

nerd

-- Jim
January 25, 2018 04:33PM
Thanks Jim.

I verified that my Studio's Wireless Router is good. I took it to the house office. Plugged it into my modem with Ethernet cable. Then, I choose the router's call sign. Connected. And brought up the forum on my phone.

My exterior cable was out of the PVC sheath in a couple areas. But it was all static. Nothing flexed. There was only one joint at 200'. I even replaced both ends and the connector. Nothing.

Just seems odd to me it all worked a couple of years, then just quit one night when the modem and the router are both still good.

Thks Jim,
Gary
January 19, 2018 01:26PM
Good luck Gary
It's sometimes doesn't make sense how difficult technology can be . A lot of things you'd think would be easy are not . I believe they keep us guessing so we keep on trying ! After all antennas used to work pretty darn good with a simple turn of the coat hanger. And NOW a hard wired device can only work sometimes for a predetermined length unless you add a couple xtra $100 units ? And then you even have to call a phone number sometimes and have a person far far away reset it for you and ( pa pow ) now it works ???

What ever happened to KISS ?

Thanks
Kurt
January 19, 2018 04:03PM
Hi Kurt,

It's called "Progress".

1974. Below ground level shop in the country .... dial full of strong radio stations on a $10 radio.

1975. Below ground level shop in the city .... dial full of strong radio stations on a $19 radio.

1977-79. Below ... country .... dial full .... $35 boom box.

1979-80. Below ground .... (yes, I see the pattern .... rent's cheaper below ground), on mountain ridge ... Stations a plenty ... boom box.

1980-2005. The ROT begins. Ground Level shop. A host of radios. A Plethora of Antenna... less stations ... progressively weaker reception. MULTIPLE RADIOS for different areas of the shop. Absurd strings of hoop antennae.... inferior results.

2006-12. ROT nearly complete at BPN. I lis....n 2 bear Lee ...audib..... crap .....CLICK! Until I turn all three radios off and listen to iPod, CD, playlists ad nausea..... CLICK ... heck with it.

2012 -14 BPS. Above ground. Steel building. About 5 strong stations. Yay!!!!! Which drop out one at a time. Replaced by TV preachers only .... til even they bite the sand.

2016 to present. Various Streaming Net services. Which start adding more and more and MORE AND MORE advertising and PUBLIC ADVERTISING SPOTS ..... and MORE!!! Some I actually have to stop and restart or they will go on for 15-20 minutes of advertising AFTER they've played the 30 second spot when changing channels. You restart the feed and it's like you've slapped a drunk - who sputters, then starts your programming in progress.

Yeah. Progress. Can't have that same $10 transistor radio from 1974 pulling in a dial full of entertainment when you can require cable, modem, CAT5e, router, iPhone, blue tooth amplifier. Don't grumble ... be happy ... and broke.
January 20, 2018 11:36AM
Gary,

I am betting that the new cable cannot read or understand the max distance and I agree with Lon that it will work. If I could bet I would bet it will work.

I understand and I feel for the days of good fun radio but I know it is gone forever.

We are all waiting to know how it works.

Good luck.

Larry
January 19, 2018 05:02PM
Gary,

100 meters is the limit. With one piece and limiting it to the absolute least you can comfortably run under the limit, I'm betting you'll be OK.

I'm interested to know how it goes.

Lon
January 26, 2018 05:31PM
Well?.......................

Lon
January 26, 2018 06:53PM
Just got back from my Drs. Two weeks of Flu has culminated in Pneumonia.

More expensive Drs office visits. More expensive injections for Steroids and Antibiotics.

More prescriptions to buy.

thumbs up

Gary
January 26, 2018 07:27PM
Wow Gary, just when you think it can't get any worse. Wish i could send something to brighten your day.... well maybe i can manage something.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021