Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: FOR SALE bullhorn IRONWOOD VEST POCKET FOLDER! bullhorn

take a bow IRONWOOD VEST POCKET FOLDER! Thank You.
February 06, 2018 02:32AM
This is a sweet folder. sold sold sold

$375us plus $15 for insurance and USPS PRIORITY mail

IMG_0117.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

Desert Ironwood Scales. Nickel Silver liner. High Carbon Stainless Tool Steel blade and springs. Extra long fileworked. Bail ring is part of spring back. Very smooth action.

IMG_0119.JPG

This afternoon about 2-3pm, I was "finishing" this knife. I taped up the scales to protect as I carefully hand peaned the rivet heads. When I removed the tape after partially polishing .... BOTH scales of wood were cracked. Ruined. (So I made new ones.)

I'd made them too thin. Had too much on my mind and riveted too tightly. I've Hand riveted many many many thousands of rivets. Today, instead of 2:30, it's 9:30 as I finish the knife with a new set of thicker contoured Ironwood scales. There went any profit I might have made on the knife and I STILL have to sell it. So: rush I and save the day! And get a beautiful Vest Pocket Folder to boot!

So, I've made a new set of thicker profile Ironwood Scales. Fitted, profiled, drilled, ground, blended with the case. Repolished the case where fitting required sanding together.

Hope someone loves the knife, soon. I'd appreciate it very much.

Best,
Gary

Now Sold - Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2018 04:01AM by barnespneumatic.
IMG_0120.JPG
February 06, 2018 04:22AM
They are bookmatched sides. Both sides will look the same.

Gary
February 06, 2018 11:18PM
What a bummer on cracking those scales . I guess they aren't real IRON . lipsaresealed I can only imagine to be that close to done and having to start them over again . I was also wondering when you polish your blades to the mirror finish , is the knife already assembled? It sure seems it would be hard to hold without at least some kind of mock~ up handle to hold the blade with .

Thanks
Kurt
February 07, 2018 12:14AM
Hi Kurt,

You know .... honestly .... I didn't even flinch. Cuss. Kick the anvil, nothing. I'm kinda numb lately. 5-6 weeks of sick. Trying to sell hunnert dollar bills for $47.50 .... (can we rewind the business part of the 80's) ha. Anyway ... not that imso disciplined .... I just felt the clock running. So; I started looking for handle materials. I filled the shop with bone dust that with the exhaust running and filter mask smothering me .... still stunk to blazes. And, every matched set of bone I cut from the raw ... by the time I got a side flat .... was juuuuuuust thhiiiiiiiis much too small. I may have muttered something into my dust mask withthe vacuum running ... at that point .....

Then I just went and cut a piece out of the rest of the desert Ironwood .... ruining the possibility of a larger piece that had existed. Whatever .... clock was getting very loud.

And I book matched this set. I think it's pretty. I countersunk the rivet sockets deeper. Flat finished these. Polished all again. I like it. Very smooth.

Yes, I have build a contraption to hold the blades while grinding and polishing. Yes, too dangerous to do a spring back in its handle and it would also fill the knife with grit and steel. Soooooo many items, jigs, holders, patterns, gauges that most would just never believe. Plus, the two wooden blocks with about 20 holes each or more, filled with purpose machined, ground, and heat treated mill cutters and pilot drill wing cutters, etc. You just can't make them as I do, with a few Drill bits. Ha.

Gary
February 07, 2018 01:59AM
Guy on a guitar forum makes the same comment about the bone. He says he has to wait until his wife is out for the day before he is allowed to make a nut cuz uh the stank!.

Lon
February 08, 2018 12:24AM
We are actually the same guy Lon. You'll notice a lot of words spelled the same way. Stuff like that.

I go over there just to mess with folks..... stunned
February 09, 2018 12:28AM
Sold.
Why do you keep tempting me????

Scott
February 09, 2018 04:07AM
It's our "Enrichment Program", Scott. You ... in the Arts. We ... in groceries.

What we need are a few more Patrons.
Re: take a bow IRONWOOD VEST POCKET FOLDER! Thank You.
February 10, 2018 12:17AM
Scott
You got a sweet little knife there . That will last you a good life time for sure . I love the grain on that piece .
Gary
Is that from a tree that I've never heard of ? I know I don't get out much but it sure has a unique look . bowing

Thanks
Kurt
February 10, 2018 03:55AM
Kurt

Tough tree/shrub that grows in the Sonoran Desert. Slow growing plant IIRC.

Neat colors in its grain. Dark brown to gold in streaks and waves. It is very hard, but; as I proved, it doesn't like to stretch or bend ... etc.

Glad you liked it. I thought I'd was a great piece finished.

Gary
February 24, 2018 11:37PM
I tried to take a picture of this knife, but Gary's are much better. This one is beautiful! It is my new favorite!
(Although, a smaller model 97 with ironwood scales might sell quickly....)

Scott
February 25, 2018 03:42AM
Hi Scott,

I really glad you like it. That's great.

I think I had a little Ironwood 97 around here .... ahhhh .... wait right here .....

Gary
February 25, 2018 08:39PM
Scott
I agree . Gary's pictures are the best and really only thing better is holding the knife in person.

Thanks
Kurt
February 25, 2018 08:55PM
Absolutely! You have to hold it to truly understand.

Scott
February 25, 2018 10:22PM
Thank you guys. I really appreciate your notes.

You know what, I was just thinking ... in 44 years has anyone "not" liked their product? And .... I thought of one. Along about ...maybe 94 ... if that's when Kelly and I tried the Gallery, a middle aged Lady ordered a Blanket/Quilt Rack such as you might sit at the foot of a bed. It was to be a gift I think. I guess the finish wasn't discussed. I used a soft grey/green Lacquer and then scuff sanded edges, corners, and then lightly stained those areas. It looked 120 years old and I was real pleased. The Lady and her Husband picked it up at the Gallery. Took it home. About a week later, Kelly took a message. I called back. The Lady reminded me who she was. She seemed in terrible distress. I figured her husband had died or something. "Mr. Barnes .... I just don't like my quilt rackkkkk." She trailed off nearly in tears. "Ok..... what's wrong with ittt????" I don't like the collllorrr. "Ok, I'll make you another one. What color/tone would you like?" Dark pine or Honey .... I forget. I made her another. And, we have a lovely grey/green aged Quilt Rack, in our room. We like it quit a lot! Haha.

But, that's the extent in 44 years of items going out the door. Do you know that I used to make THOUSANDS of handmade picture frames for a disabled Female Artist named Joni Erickson - who painted with the brush in her mouth, and had a huge business selling prints. I made and finished the frames from boards to the delivery at several different locations they framed from.

Well, thanks guys

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021