Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stabalized Fossilized Florida Mosquito Tusk - AND - an Aurora XL

Stabalized Fossilized Florida Mosquito Tusk - AND - an Aurora XL
February 09, 2018 12:28AM
Sorry. No pics yet. Tomorrow.

I have a group of related projects that will yield several knives in the relative future.

You know my Signature "Skeeter Tusk" which I've excavated in many different colors and patterns. Some say that it's much like a quality handmade Micarta, in density, toughness, weave, etc. Well, that's an interesting comparison.

Now; I've wondered for a year now .... how the Skeeter Tusk material might take to the Stabalization process. To make it even more dense. The material has a fiber weave. Density will somewhat be determined by how that weave absorbs the Resin base, and how it takes to the mold, hydraulic pressure and other factors. I determined to vacuum infuse the material with thermoset Resin. The two batches are slow cooling in the ovens. I'll see how it went tomorrow. There are parts for about a dozen significant knives in this rotation.

I've also used the highest of my one off stabilizing technique to provide the beige/cream/brown mix of Tusk scales for a very nice Aurora XL. Remember that's the larger of the series. A great pocket sized working folder. Don't miss this one.

Guys. Lastly. I know that the internet materials that you have to view are much like standing beneath a waterfall of sites. But, we have a long history. I think you know I'm doing my absolute best to cope. I still produce. I still entertain. But, friend to friend now. I have a need. This illness streak has really slapped me down. If you are able, I'd really like to work with you to sell something I've shown this week. I've had to spread my time for best chance of striking a nerve somewhere. And that interest will show when I switch from laying out a buffet to finishing that individual choice of someone. Help me out here? Take a look. Tell me what might work for you.

Best,
Gary
Re: Stabalized Fossilized Florida Mosquito Tusk - AND - an Aurora XL
February 10, 2018 12:26AM
Hey
Do you really see a need for stabilizing? I would think IF there were any pores to be filled you would have come across them during a sanding / machine cession. Hmmmstunned

Thanks
Kurt
Re: Stabalized Fossilized Florida Mosquito Tusk - AND - an Aurora XL
February 10, 2018 04:03AM
Hi Kurt,

I don't mean holes or flaws. I met the end grains of the fiber components of the Tusk.

It proved to be a turkey chase. I'm discussing the process and results with the people who make the equipment used. See it I learn anything.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021