April 11, 2018 03:18PM
IMG_0873.JPG

Sanded, Polished, Heat Blued, oiled

IMG_0874.JPG

Polished, Acid Darkened, Polished
Re: Patina .... Finishes
April 12, 2018 10:08AM
Gary
Verrrrry nice looking there . I'm actually in the middle of bluing a gun myself. I've done cold blu before and had great results. This time I tried heat / oil bluing as seen on the internet. I only tried the barrel for test purposes and didn't get the look I was promised. I've cleaned and 0000 steel wool sanded but just didn't get a good dark finish . I've tried dirty old Motor oil even . I won't give up till I get it . I'm just probably not applying enough heat but nervous on warping the barrel .
Practice makes perfect!

Thanks
Kurt
April 12, 2018 01:06PM
Hi Kurt,

Haven't heard of that. I must say it sounds a bit suspicious. Are you sure you had actual mature Unicorn urine? Some places will scam you on that ... Ha

But, from what I know of metals, in order to produce a dark oxide with oil you would need a heck of a heat. Enough to ruin any temper or work hardening in your Steel.

I've had good results with a particular chemical blue. But the best is hot Salt. I'm anxious to get my set up usable again.

Now it occurred to me that you may like some of the rust blues or the Plum Browning methods. Maybe not on a modern gun though. Are you experimenting on that High Plains Carbine of mine, or your Outrider 50? Hummmmmmm ....

Gary
April 12, 2018 02:01PM
Gary
Well now since you asked I'll tell you I love the plumb brown and have done some Crosman airguns with great success. This one however was a screw up . I had a drain plugged in my kitchen & I took one of my air pistol md 157 Crosman and added a device to shoot CO2 into my pipe .Now mind you I already put some toxic flubium 90 into the drain to get it going .Well..... who knew that crap would explode all over my gun and eat the bluing right off of it . No no I'm ok but finish was gone ! So fast forward to now . I've cleaned and removed all crud and bluing and thought I'd play around with a different finish .
If I get it right I will be happy . The heat / hard case bluing is beautiful. I was hoping for that real bright blue just like you tube promised ! Anyhow I smeared on perma blue this am and figure I'll whip it together till next time .

Ps : the OutRyder still looks great . The High plains carbine well you saw it . Years of neglect paid its toll BUT on the bright side the bluing did its job ! NO RUST !

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG
April 14, 2018 02:38PM
Hi Kurt,

Whatever technique you used there (did you say Perma Blue?), looks good. Seems nice and even.

Really glad you survived the sink eruption. So; do you have freckles now? If you do ... don't wear pigtails. Hahaha....

Good job on the steel.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021