Advanced

A quick test of the .50 cal

A quick test of the .50 cal
June 08, 2009 09:09PM
I tethered the gun on Sunday and did some shooting. Here are the peak fpe's:

256 g R.E.A.L. 716 fps 291 fpe

326g R.E.A.L 643 fps 299 fpe

367g minies 613 fps 306 fpe

So it's getting up there now. I didn't manage any decent targets, although conditions excellent, my shooting wasn't. This was my best for the short session, from the 256 g REAL's:

There was no wind to speak of so the lateral spread was down to me!

I'm also going to rescope the rifle because I've had a suspicion for a long time that this scope has a wandery windage....just something to rule out.

A start though..

Cheers

Neil
Re: A quick test of the .50 cal
June 09, 2009 01:06AM
Hi Neil,

Hey - that looks good. Don't get caught up in the "one hole" requirement myth. That's usually the minimum requirement of folks that never go shoot at all! haha. Real targets look just like yours. That's a fine 50 yard big bore target.

Good job,

Gary
June 09, 2009 07:15AM
Thanks Gary. I still have a long way to go though, getting consistent as the shooter. I'll go re-read that email you sent me about technique....typing
June 09, 2009 03:15AM
Neil,

That's a really good group! When you're pushing a big bore slug the recoil is real or is that R.E.A.L. The hold sensitivity of the airguns makes a consistent grip, rest shoulder pressure etc critical. When you combine that with the recoil, getting back to the same position is tough. Gary has more than his share of amazing targets posted for some of the same reasons that he can do the incredible work of making his airguns, attention to detail, meticulous preparation and practice...practice...practice. He'll be the first to tell you it's a blessing and a curse.

Great to see some shooting going on.

Kent
June 09, 2009 07:20AM
Kent, you couldn't have summed it up better. I look back on my session and can see how inconsistent I was in all respects! Lots of work to do, but that's half the fun of it. I just have to take the next step up to .50 cal, with that extra bit of recoil over my .45's...shooter with bench rifle

Regards

Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021