Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ANOTHER Panel of ENGRAVING ... JULES VERNE INSPIRED artist AND THE SKETCHES FOR THE REVERSE SIDE!

IMG_1751.JPG. IMG_1757.JPG

Another panel coming along. All carved with hand guided tools. No master templates. No reduction. Consider how small these details actually are, and you began to get a feel for the control needed to carve metal like this.

Hope you enjoy? Thanks very much for reading.

Comments very welcome,
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2018 12:45AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: ANOTHER Panel of ENGRAVING ... JULES VERNE INSPIRED
May 24, 2018 09:17PM
OK, I can see a big difference in the 2 panels but I cant tell what happened. Was one with magic sharpie and then you engraved? or one was first pass and then a deeper cut ? or what?
Gary L
BTW it looks great!
May 25, 2018 12:41AM
Hi Gary L.

The first panel was cut, and the tool throws up a small burr each side as it displaces metal. This detail is too fine to produce an actual "chip" flying away. The burr, casts a shadow and darkened/broadens the effect .... but the detail is muddied.

The second panel is after some handing sanding with 1,500 grit. It removes the burr. Now the detail is more crisp, but the contrast is lacking. So next passes will remove background, create shadow, give depth and contrast.

Check the drawings for the other side. I really like them. The inspiration started to flow, and I just watched myself sketch it out. I love that part.

I'll put them here ..., that will work.

The other Gary
May 24, 2018 10:43PM
Finally got to the mermaid.wow

Exceptional work Gary.

Lon
May 25, 2018 12:43AM
Thought of you Lon.

Glad you like it. Not finished, but in the area.

Gary
THE SKETCHES FOR THE REVERSE SIDE!!!!

Please tell me what you think of the format and theme! Thanks.

Gary
IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1783.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG
COOL!!!!
Like the Shark, and the SUbmarine

Gary L

Shipping still $25?
Sorry Gary!

Yeah. Close enough. Thanks for reminding me.

Gary
Gary
That's very elegant. Who says that about a knife ? Well I'll own it and YOU made it that way . So besides the obviously beautiful engraving going on .... I really like the shape of the handles them selves . The sweeping curve on the bottom is great and useful and the 3 bulbous floweretts on the top look great . Now I'm really jealous of captain Nemo !

Thanks
Kurt
Glad you mentioned the handle shape Kurt.

When I designed it, I had "Under the Sea", in mind. I put a dorsal fin on it. I suggested a giant Clam Shell with the lobes on the front. And the sweeping curve suggests a fish ... ending in a tail fin, or a rudder. I thought it all worked together toward the theme.

Thks,
Gary
Gary
The shape you NAILED . It is very nautical looking with all the points & curves you mentioned. I'm sure it will fit Gary L's hand perfect . It really captured my attention.

Ps: I like the shark too !!

Thanks
Kurt
Thanks Kurt,

The blade is a long parallel sided spear point. Like a diving knife. Big interesting knife that will feel comfortable too. And, it's really gonna need a display stand with spot lights and a laser security beam cage!!!

Gary
Nobody has mentioned one feature in the engraving yet ....
Re: ANOTHER Panel of ENGRAVING ... JULES VERNE INSPIRED artist AND THE SKETCHES FOR THE REVERSE SIDE!
May 25, 2018 12:06PM
The creature in the movie was a giant squid, don't recall any sharks. I didn't read the book though.

Lon
That IS a giant squid, Lon. That's the best I could do. Rest easy. Wink.
WOW, that is some sweeet engraving!
This is going to be an amazing knife. I'm trying not to get jealous....

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021