Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NOW LINKING TESTING VIDEO! Testing - DURING Heat Treat - STAGES

NOW LINKING TESTING VIDEO! Testing - DURING Heat Treat - STAGES
June 21, 2018 12:04AM
B9CC530E-D3B8-47DE-80C1-6547CE47D819.jpeg

The Verne Theme Blade. Hardening Scale Removed. My testing with this steel has been quite successful. It’s a Stainless Air Hardening Tool Steel - A2. You have seen me do Cold Rolled Steel shaving videos and pics using this steel and the heat treat I have developed for it.

Side Note: I’m going to add this here. If you have a particular steel which performs well for you - that’s excellent. If you have a particular “heat treat method” that works well for you - that’s also Excellent. If the blades produced from your steel and heat treat method, perform the tasks well (for which they were designed) - that’s especially excellent. Well done. I’m certain you can fill in the rest. Thank you very much.

7561A48B-32DB-4B1F-A938-00F56471156C.jpeg

Hardness confirmation. Note I’ve filed hard, on the edge material of my hardened blade. Note the effort has totally ruined that shiny section of file. “Bladesmiths used to call this “to SLICK the file”. It shows that the steel has attained a hardness much above that of a mill file. The file could not “bite” the blade edge steel, and instead the file’s teeth were rounded over and “slicked”.

From here, I’ll draw back appropriate degrees of hardness from sections of the blade. What we want is dependent upon the chosen duty of the given knife.

More as available. Thanks for reading.

Gary

Later in this thread, Kurt recalled a great Barnes video of a folding knife blade cutting steel. It’s not this blade, but it WILL BE!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 06:40PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Testing - DURING Heat Treat - STAGES
June 21, 2018 08:50AM
Wow that's a monster blade . I love the video ( you tube ) of you shaving steel . That effort will sure surly make a blade for a life time of use !

Thanks
Kurt
June 21, 2018 06:15PM
Closer all the time.

97B357B2-D128-4B79-8537-A9C9868434D5.jpeg

The blade is hardened AND tempered. The tang is shaped. The perimeter is finely ground to shape. Ready to be polished. And the tang has been precision ground.

B7C0165F-68A8-4CB7-B048-EBC93F2C022E.jpeg

Note the heat treat colors. This steel will show color related to hardness. The spine of the knife blade has been spring tempered. The edge has been drawn to a tough tool steel edge.

Let me find the video Kurt mentioned. Good memory Kurt

Gary
June 21, 2018 06:26PM
[www.youtube.com]

The Video of Barnes Model 97 Blade Shaving Cold Rolled Steel - WITHOUT DAMAGE!
Re: NOW LINKING TESTING VIDEO! Testing - DURING Heat Treat - STAGES
June 23, 2018 04:07AM
Man ALL that work on JUST the blade . That knife is surly going to ( Ker snap ) when opening and closing ! Love it

Thanks
Kurt
Re: NOW LINKING TESTING VIDEO! Testing - DURING Heat Treat - STAGES
June 26, 2018 01:08AM
There is no doubt that a Barnes knife has an excellent heat treat!

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021