Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kydex Friday, SHEATH, CUSTOM RIVETS ... Weights

Kydex Friday, SHEATH, CUSTOM RIVETS ... Weights
July 13, 2018 09:06PM
Be here later for pics.

Items are in the press, cooling now.

I have a couple of good twists on the sheath.

Gary

“Kydex .... when moldy leather just won’t do”.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 11:56PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Kydex Friday
July 14, 2018 02:37PM
So; I’m programming the Barnes ACME Replicator, while on the phone with Kelly. I’ve placed the dagger on the Dias, and pressed SCAN. The laser scanned as the table rotated. Kelly says, “Did you say you would, or would not be up at 8?” I answered, “would.” Next thing I realize, the scan has completed and a translucent fog covered the turntable. Huh???? I quickly review the settings..... the AUDIO light is on!!! Oh gosh ... what did I say??? As the fog dissipates .... I stare .....

890E5384-CA99-4B8A-8F3D-A043578DA0CA.jpeg

NnnOOOooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Ah crap!! Not again ....

Well, fortunately the machine defaults to saving to original scan until deleted. Phewwwww! Close.

21C19BD7-A606-4517-A6B4-15A4E8F097EE.jpeg

And so I used the wooden copy to mold the sheath. The machine copies are about 3% larger then original. That way we’ll get a nice clean draw of the dagger from the sheath. It won’t be vacuum sealed in there requiring a tussle and fumble to draw and replace. Yes, it is a lot of extra work to make this difference. The wooden model can’t just be a slapdash mess like a kid would make. The hot Kydex copies amazing detail. Before it’s suggested - I know the “wrap it in tape” trick. But there are invariably lumps and seams and such that get copied in the hot mold process. I made this choice. As mentioned, I also considered the heat issue.

Now ....

Why isn’t it complete?

Because I got sandbagged by the “Rivet Grinch”. In case you haven’t had the pleasure, the “Rivet Grinch” is in the business of making certain that you never have a complete set of rivets to finish any job. There’s material, diameter, length, head style ... and then the required tools for each. I can need one snap for a kid’s leather band (that requires the male and female components and the corresponding stud portions for each. So that’s four different pieces), and the “Rivet Grinch” will make certain I’m missing one piece ... or it’s a different metal, finish, etc. Yep, 44 years down the road (I’m sure you get tired of hearing that, but it’s how we measure the passage of time), and I have a wide sample of every snap and rivet set ever made. (Just not enough for any project )

And so, I also needed units which would join the top belt portion to the bottom portion at two stress points. Enter a series of handmade punches and die anvils to MAKE appropriate copper tube rivets. You made the containment die to form the first rivet end, then you need a special punch to extract that from the containment die, etc. Yes, I could have loaded up on rivets and tooling from some saddle and harness supplier I researched for how long online, and then wait four days or spend another $28 for overnight. That’s probably after I’d clean up and make the rounds of the hardware stores, TSC, and Lowes. I gave up on all that years ago. My application is always unique ... and I get the employee in each store who just will not give up on learning what I’m “using it for” and giving me twelve more appropriate alternatives. No, I just know too much to be efficient. I know how to machine and heat treat. So; what looks relatively simple compared to the stuff I build all the time, still ends up taking hours after I realize .... well, now I just need one more punch ..... and one more anvil die. Haha.

I’ll show you later. Looks real nice. Just what I needed.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 02:50PM by barnespneumatic.
July 14, 2018 05:06PM
“Rivet Grinch” must be related to the "computer gremlins" and such.

It sucks to run out of items. You may want to start a Kanban system.

Sheath looks really neat, and forming is interesting as well. Seems to be thermal plastic? I made many molds in my 20's when I worked in another province. Mostly for vegetable packaging.

It is amazing the detail some plastics will take. Do you have to form it manually or do you draw a vacuum? I guess either or would work?

Looks good!

Pedro
July 14, 2018 07:27PM
Gary, that's an impressive mold blank, complete with Barnes logo! It looks like it would be a great training knife. That Kydex mold looks sleek and smooth.

I agree that the time spent chasing parts for a project is my least favorite and most aggravating time waster. Always one short of a complete set.

Kent
July 14, 2018 11:50PM
Now this set of tools makes a killer Rivet. Looks nice AND would take 550 Paracord too!

Gary
E9D6D042-632A-4C3D-9E49-DF6BAD733DE2.jpeg
AC981EA6-FEC4-41BB-B420-2C58D57AAFCA.jpeg
E42787AC-9815-4B28-83F0-1FF2672312B0.jpeg
July 15, 2018 02:18AM
Looking really good! Your customer will really appreciate this dagger!

Pedro
Re: Kydex Friday, SHEATH, CUSTOM RIVETS ... Weights
July 15, 2018 12:51PM
Are you sure that knife isn't too pretty to use?
It looks great, Gary!

Scott
Re: Kydex Friday, SHEATH, CUSTOM RIVETS ... Weights
July 15, 2018 05:14PM
Tooling is working Sooooo well

AAAD2A75-F555-47AF-8FCA-C1382C090EE3.jpeg

All I have to do is change out the buckets under the hopper!!

Yeah .... right .....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021