Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Knife Sharpened

Knife Sharpened
July 14, 2018 04:29PM
I checked out YouTube university and found many videos on sharpening knife blades. Wet stones, apparatus for files and MDF wheels.

I only have small pieces of mdf so thought I would try it. Diameter was about 1.5”. Ideally 6 to 8” diameter would be best to get a high rim speed. Well even with this simple test using a little buffing compound, the edge got really sharp. Not razor sharp, but it will take a few hairs on the arm.

653AD94B-6EB0-4FDC-8ABA-366028C39AF5.jpeg

I took the knife outside and cut into a spruce tree branch I had cut a few weeks back. No problem cutting long chips. I also chopped into the branch after, the geometry I think is well suited. A convex shape supports the edge and provides strength.

I am starting to see why the contestants on “Forged in Fire” day that it is a real joy, stress reliever making blades.

Don’t worry Gary, not going after your market!

Thanks for reading my posts.

Pedro G.
Re: Knife Sharpened
July 15, 2018 02:16AM
Well, I took another look at the blade later in the day! Oh snap, a crack! Small hairline crack developed from hacking at the tree limb. Good thing I wasn’t on the show, have to “surrender your weapon” due to not being safe! Haha

Oh well, it’s a learning experience and had to start somewhere. I am sure mistakes where made on my part as I know I didn’t perform the heat treatment all that well. I tempered after scales were fastened and more errors of am sure.

I managed to get a few close ups. Maybe I can grind out the crack and temper the blade a little more to keep the edge from cracking again.

IMG_6914.JPG

It is amazing how much grinding and polishing is required to remove all the small lines. Most are almost naked to the eye but under magnification, sure can see everything.

I saw a video about Japanese knives and showed microscopic knife edges, as much as you sharpen the edges are still serrated, just micro fine. Correct me if I have misinterpreted what they said..

Thanks for all the comments and advice!

Pedro

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 08:38PM by pedrog.
July 24, 2018 01:35PM
Last night I ground out the crack and sharpened the blade again. Then went and hacked at some wood limbs and whittled a bit. Didn’t get the geometry perfect, edge rolled a little. Was a good learning experience and have a better idea for my next blade.

Again, for the amount of work it is for a custom knife, I can see why the knives cost a lot. In Gary’s case, the customers are getting an incredible deal when you factor in the detail carvings, materials and experience.

Pedro
July 25, 2018 02:34AM
Pedro,

What is the blade thickness at the spine?

Lon
July 25, 2018 01:13PM
Lon: Was cut from a circular saw blade. Probably about .080”

Pedro: try ordering some O-1 tool steel. As you know, it arrives in an annealed state. (I regret seeing that hundred dollar carbide you cut the blade from). I believe that “crack” you show, may be from overheating the steel prior to quenching. I think I’m seeing a granular pattern in the area encompassing the crack. Finally, yes; there will always be a toothed edge on any sharpened steel. Produced by the “grit” of the stone and or the composition of the steel. Japanese blades, being laminated, will have their layers respond to the grit at different rates. Thus, a micro/serration.

Thanks for sharing your research Pedro

Gary
July 25, 2018 02:04PM
That was a pretty aggressive test for .08 steel. I rarely if ever see the Internet knife guys beating on anything less than .125.

Lon
July 25, 2018 02:21PM
I ground out the crack as I mentioned. Then I beat the snot out of it. Went and hacked a bunch of older branches that have dried out. Cut into them multiple times and just abused the knife.

I resharpened the edge as best I could and used it yesterday to cut saplings that are growing on stumps I need to remove. Cut nicely when branches were under tension. Makes me think how much better a knife will be when I take time to do it correctly.

Pedro
July 25, 2018 03:00PM
As Pedro documented, the crack had nothing to do with the thickness - but was the result of a heat treat fail. You can take a kitchen bread knife and hack on a 2 by 4 all day. You’ll never crack it. It’s commercial heat treat is pretty dialed in by now.

Brings up an interesting TOPIC I think. It’s common lore to accept that the only reason to hand craft something, is to get a superior product to the commercial alternative. In that case, the guys building Home built aircraft are gonna have to step up a bit, to beat the 777 and the F-35. There’s not the appreciation for hand craftsmanship that there used to be. People are all pleased with themselves if they install a glass tile backsplash in their kitchen, but they are quite content with a ten to twenty dollar pocketknife. What happened to the appreciation between the kitchen and the daily office? It’s mostly because they installed the tile. Funny the things that are currently valued.

My point being, why do you have to cut a battleship in half and still shave with a knife, before it has worth? Or, why does it have to be Tusk from the very Mammoths featured in the Ice Age Series, to have merit? Huh. Can’t there be an appreciation for a nice handmade tool? Handmade pocket knife? I make affordable ones. You can’t tell me that half of the readers here couldn’t afford a $300 pocketknife once a year. If so; THERE would be my background income which I’ve spent two years trying to develop. By doing so, I could get back to Airguns. You’d have to make one of my $300 Knives to see if you feel it’s worth $300. Bet you wouldn’t want to try a second one for $300. Wink.

Thing is, I have to figure how to incorporate some golly wow materials that cost me $400, to get attention. The “handmade from nothing” concept isn’t enough? Yet people pay $300 for a pair of commercial sneakers? Factory made. “But they only made 113,000 of this model with THIS shade of orange shoe laces.” Hype. The entire world is Hype and Marketing. I’m constantly encouraged to make better use the social Hype machine. But; first .... my disabilities are real. I just can’t do the show travel anymore. 30 years was enough. But then; Do friends want honesty/value ... or Social Hype? It’s THE question of the Teens. So far, HYPE wins hands down. And, I believe it’s really the fans that drive the social frenzy. Unless your butt is as wide as a barn door. (Now THAT is real talent.) Then it’s the headliner that spins the hype with pics. But look at this; I knew I’d probably get older. And, an older Craftsman in his shop, should seem right. But now, he should be here, then there, then over there. Doing a 720 on a half pipe, under the lights, to screaming fans.

So; I have some $450 Knives here, that were on the same UPS Truck as very rare Michelle Jurdan sneakers last week. Gett’em while they’re not ...!!!

Gary

THE WRAP UP

Thing is, why isn’t the real skill of making a functional handmade knife worth wanting. Why does it have to have super duper materials or wierd mystic powers to be of any valve.
The super powers stuff it what runs the bill up to where it’s not practical to buy. When, just the basic item was unique, required extreme craftsmanship, and yet was affordable

Why should I HAVE to go to Las Vegas with knives made from wrecked Alien Spaceships, for $5,000 .... just to make a background food and lights income.
Why isn’t anything worthy anymore. Only the Supercalifragalistic stuff.

I was wondering if people really REALIZE that’s the weight they put on everything.

This was all just to promote thought.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2018 07:38PM by barnespneumatic.
0353C176-B738-459B-84E0-088A2EA8BFB3.jpeg
7C03C751-1D9A-4C5F-8136-FD59D4EA4C7E.jpeg
July 25, 2018 07:41PM
Gary,

Good post. I would have re-tweeted it, given a thumbs up on Facebook and followed on Instagram but I can't find the links.mic'd

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2018 07:42PM by Bigbore.
July 25, 2018 09:52PM
Well Lon,

Given the circumstances... You’ve done all you can do.

Don’t blame yourself. There was nuthin’ you could do for him ....

Unless ...... .........
July 25, 2018 02:24PM
Hey Gary,

I used a cut off disk to cut away most of the blade from the saw blade. Do not want to waste carbide endmills cutting that stuff. I should have annealed the material after as well before continuing.

Ideally do what you suggest or even go to A2. I can use my dad's heat treat oven to heat treat it correctly. Done this many times myself. A2 is rather forgiving.

Fun stuff, just do not have much time for it.

Thanks for the information.

Pedro
July 25, 2018 07:34PM
Pedro,

Why not fool around with some cheap knife blanks purchased on Ebay?

Lon
July 25, 2018 10:06PM
OoowwwlllllWHHHaaaaah.....hahaaaak

UuulllwWWWHaahhhhhaaaa.....

Uhhhaa ....., sorry
July 25, 2018 10:45PM
Hi Lon,

I could have bought material. I got two old large saw blades from work. I had seen a video about making a knife from it so thought I would try it. The blades only collected dust for the last year or so and I didn’t have a dime invested into them.

I can get good material anytime but it costs money. Am I cheap, maybe, but I knew for the amount of time I have didn’t want to throw to much money at yet another hobby/project.

Learned a few things as well as was forced to.

Thanks for suggesting and asking questions.

Pedro
July 25, 2018 02:18PM
It is .093" 3/32. Like Gary mentioned cut from a saw blade.
July 25, 2018 02:19PM
Hello Lon,

It is .093" 3/32. Like Gary mentioned cut from a saw blade.

Worked okay but not ideal.

Thanks,

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021