Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quite a few Projects Today!

Quite a few Projects Today!
August 14, 2018 12:53AM
D2F16239-6DB2-498C-86D6-479190F21F27.jpeg

Worked on your knife today Kurt. Getting blade final sanded

Made tooling this week for these perfect 12 thousandths washers. .203” by .500”. As sheared they are so clean you can’t cut yourself. No “tuna can” edges or Burrs.

Robert - your Gift Pendant is done. Beautiful in my humble opinion.

And some rough out work and stainless Channel work this early morning.

Now ... dinner if Kelly hasn’t given it to the dog!

Gary
Re: Quite a few Projects Today!
August 14, 2018 07:02AM
Gary
Is that the spun copper hunter knife or the balisong?
Those must be shims / bearings for the balisong.

Thanks
Kurt
August 14, 2018 01:11PM
That’s the Balisong blade.

Yes. I scooped out a couple different systems and decided I wanted the thinness of the shims. And after all these years, I still needed another double punch and die set with its frame for the press. Have to make a second set and we are good. The pivots are stainless male/female threaded.

Gary
August 14, 2018 05:09PM
6FE23A39-516E-49C1-A349-DE894EC866D0.jpeg

I’ve had so many people ask why on EARTH would I take time to POLISH a Damascus blade .... when I’m just gonna dunk it in acid!!!!?????!! Duhhhh.

Well, it’s just the difference between a Professional finish .... and a Hack Job. And I mean that in the nicest way.

I do see that version of “handmade” which has all the charm of a rusty lug wrench. Now ... I don’t make those (... not yet anyway .... please keep buying nice stuff, so I don’t have to ....). But when you have a blade you have Forge welded ... and you grind, file the scale off .... and then harden it .... WOW!!!!!! It IS DAMASCUS!!!!! You see the pattern develop in the oxide scale from the cooling oil bath. Thing is .... people would be pleased to buy that for a little less than nothing. But, you really have to make a bunch of those to buy bread and peanut butter (and lamp oil). But, to make a worthy heirloom quality artifact worthy of a Knight of the Realm .... (ummm).... a nice job .... you need to polish first. The acid will duplicate/follow every scratch right thru the blade. In fact, if you’d completely disolve the scratched blade, you’d end up with just a bunch of scratches floating on the surface of your jar of sludge. Really. Well, you get the idea ....

Back to work.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2018 05:15PM by barnespneumatic.
August 14, 2018 08:09PM
F170867C-42A5-43FF-A7A7-06A9F2D7CDD4.jpege

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021