November 08, 2018 05:50PM
Posted for Kurt ... he’ll be here ASAP.
9304CAD6-A81D-4DFD-B54D-D352B246C425.jpeg
FF0FD8FD-E4F4-4574-9458-02002DA7CFF1.jpeg
4DD91D39-1497-4148-9046-C951B3DF194E.jpeg
Re: SISTER 1990 KNIFE .... (from Kurt)
November 08, 2018 06:34PM
Thanks Gary
So S#1002 and a born on date of 1/12/1990 with jeweled liners !

Something fishy .....
Earlier serial number and 2 months later than the dragon engraved knife . But still an ivory spacer
This shows a wide range of talent for sure with coining on both sides . I know Gary can explain better but this knife came with a red velvet Velcro sleeve and wasn't EVER USED ! It has to be one of my favorite and sharpest knives .

Thanks
Kurt
November 09, 2018 02:06PM
Ah Kurt ... you didn’t OPEN it!!! That folder has NEVER been opened!!! Hahaha.

So ... wasn’t ever used huh? That was either in a grouping of knives which went to a Collector in Japan ... or in a Grouping which went to Switzerland. Would have been $1,200-1,500 when it was made.

The shields are Sterling. Stone is Malichite/Azureite. The two are found combined in some places.

Glad you like the Jeweled Engine Turned Liners.

I think you just looked at the date wrong bud. This one is January and Alex’s Knife was November. Mystery solved. I can put my Meerschaum Pipe away for another day.

Thanks for showing your world traveling knife Kurt. Thumb’s Up. (I’d use the emoji but it would erase the whole post).

Gary
November 09, 2018 05:42PM
Gary
Thanks for the info on the knife . I love the coin medallions . They have an oriental look the with the bird and foliage. Can you explain more about them . There's 2 different ones from side to side and like I've said before it takes a couple of days to really look over and understand a Barnes knife . I'd have to guess Alex's knife is the larger version judging by the hand in the background.
It just crazy to need a flashlight and magnifying lens to see the internals of the liners .Also the stones look so deep and polished they are almost translucent. I wish everyone could see it in real life to know what I'm talking about .

PS: I was in the south of France and there was a flea market and there on the table for $25 ..... laughing again

Thanks
Kurt
IMG_2344.PNG
IMG_2343.PNG
November 09, 2018 10:27PM
Hi Kurt,

True. There is a Right and a Left version of this Escutcheon Shield. It’s a Coined pressing of the Hand Carved Tool Steel negative. The Sterling Silver is forced into the negative impression and is called a “Repousse’ ” which means to “push the metal up from underneath”.

Take note if your Mosaic and I’ll bet you find it’s tight and smooth. No accident. My Mosaic techinique is one of several things I’ve developed that should have been my “pet rock” moment. It’s being the right guy in the right place at the right time with the right idea and the right marketing team. I haven’t checked ALL the boxes. Ha

Real nice knife. Oh ... note the lever at the very front when closed. I started doing that in the 80’s. You flip the blade out to locked position. Today, the lever was moved to the top. Exactly the same thing - lever moved 90 degrees. And “The Flipper” is the hottest invention since sliced bread.

Glad you like it Kurt,
Gary
November 09, 2018 11:53PM
Gary,

In addition to just being plain gorgeous, I don't recall seeing the lever assist back then. That is a huge favorite of mine on knives if executed well.

Once again, you were out in front. Hope you fired the marketing team. Same guys that did the "Where's Herb" campaign for Burger King around the same time?

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021