Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DAMASCUS FINISHING: CONTINUED

DAMASCUS FINISHING: CONTINUED
November 20, 2018 01:03AM
May I please insert a comment first. I know you all are hoping to tune in and see Airguns being completed, fired, tested, and enjoy that. Me too. However: I’d ask you to consider that you have access here, to a wealth on information and technical experience. One of the reasons the things I produce take some time is ... because I actually make them. All the components. I know there are wonderful items being completed with current technology. Please think about it though ... so long as I’m doing things as I have developed the skills ... then “I too” am using “State of the Art” technology. And using it Solely as a single Craftsman. Once I am gone ... then some of my techniques may be referred to as “Lost Technology.” You May think that’s a bit dramatic .., but ... if I developed a technique/tool/material/etc., and I’ve never tutored another to replace me .., then ... what might you call those special skills ... later.

Just once again wishing the scale of things was more realistic. The Singer recorded with pitch correcting algorithms, and overlaid tracks, and filters .... after spending an hour in the makeup chair ... and the video will also be massaged within a gigabyte if it’s life .... hummmm. Sounds great. Pure and natural as Spring.

C65B8C58-3D88-4A8C-AD44-888091381445.jpeg

The CONTINUATION of Acid Etching from the other night has gone well. The Etch is done. The Neutralization of Acid is complete. It’s dry. And then it has been blued. The oxide layer thus formed is Hardening. When complete, the surface will be honed to show the best contrast. Then waxed.

To fill in the details from Friday night ...

No, I wasn’t rolling video so we will never know how on earth ... 44 years down the road ... I finally tipped the jar of Acid sitting in the flat tub of water (to warm it). And so the acid went into the water. The water went into the acid jar ... as I did everything to make it all worse. When the chaos stopped, Acid was flowing across and among the items on the bench. Down the front of the bench. Into the drawers below. Onto the shelf below. Into the containers of slugs stored on that shelf. Onto the floor mats, under the bench among things there. I just stood and watched.

Then, I realized I must get rid of that compromised warming bath. NOT in any drain. And, I must neutralize it first. And, had I been fully at my best, I might not have put baking soda in the bath WHILE it was in place on the bench. BUT THEN .... the resulting volcano of foaming frothing expanding turmoil .... would not have retraced the original path of the errant acid. And so ... the mess appeared to triple.... but with neutralizing capacity in tow.

I worked for hours. What a mess. And I could finally face it again tonight. As soon as it had blown up Friday Nite, I’d whisked the blade off to a jar of neutralizing solution elsewhere. Later cleaned. And realized the Etch had been about 75% Done. I had to do all the prep and process again to finish. And so; I have completed that phase, and it looks good so far.

I now quit for dinner. Wish me God Speed and skill to finish the knife.

You know ... I feel terrible actually charging people for all this fun I have. haha.

Gary

Dinner!!!! Ahhhhhh.... yayyyyyy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2018 01:55PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: DAMASCUS FINISHING: CONTINUED
November 20, 2018 02:40AM
What a coincidence, I had a mess today that involved baking soda too. Banana nut bread. Gooey stuff everywhere.Pipe smoker

Lon
Re: DAMASCUS FINISHING: CONTINUED
November 20, 2018 01:34PM
There ya go Lon. A kindred Spirit!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021