Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

boing BLUING COMPLETE!!! boing several Parts dig it

boing BLUING COMPLETE!!! boing several Parts dig it
January 18, 2019 11:50PM
This is, seriously; a LOT of work. 53B99077-EC4E-4EF2-AA50-848648C55919.jpeg

D2204895-D048-4B59-8F73-B0465B764154.jpeg

Everything is now sanded and burnished ... and ready for bluing. I will Chemically Blue these parts. I do not yet have a dedicated Bluing Shop set up here. I have my equipment and I plan to. Chemical Bluing does a good job. As with any process, the preparation and the person doing the job makes a HUGE difference. Think of anything requiring a careful adherence to details. Example: Establishing a new Lawn. Think quickly ... pick up rocks, till, harrow, rake, pick up rocks again, good seed, fertilizer, mulch, water, water, water. “Your Results May Vary!”, as the man says.

I’ve even had a customer tell me that he suffered a flooded vault and the ONLY one of his guns that wasn’t rust damaged was a Chemically Blued Barnes Bison! I’ll still work toward getting my Hot Bluing Shop back. But I don’t feel bad offering fine Chemically Blued Air Guns.

I have the reservoir prepared. I’m finishing preparing the Reservoir Intake.

Thanks for reading. Some comments would be encouraging.

Best,
Gary

oTHE BLUING TURNED OUT WELL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2019 07:56PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Ready to Blue several Parts dig it
January 19, 2019 12:23PM
Hi Gary
I've done a bit of chemical bluing with good luck . It is a lot of work for sure. After severe cleaning & several coats it very durable. Lotza oil and lotza rubbing really helps .However I've never been able to get my metal to look as good as my Outryder airgun.

Thanks
Kurt
Re: Ready to Blue several Parts dig it
January 19, 2019 08:11PM
Turned out Great.
9A49522B-66E9-4928-A387-B5B1B3F7E2AA.jpeg
76228C1C-DD1B-4793-8965-499DD2D5CCC7.jpeg
4DCF097C-BFBD-4BBE-9506-476453227D96.jpeg
Re: boing BLUING COMPLETE!!! boing several Parts dig it
January 19, 2019 10:30PM
That's a wonderful deep blue Gary & not a fingerprint in sight . How many coats did that take ? It looks very crisp !

Thanks
Kurt
January 20, 2019 12:39AM
Thanks Kurt,

It’s the steel prep. Then it’s the application process. How you apply and what you apply with. How you handle the steel. How long you wait for certain phases. Then, how you clean the oxide. How you keep from damaging it while it’s vulnerable. Then, if or what you coat it with.

What I use isn’t something that you build up coats with. What happens is .., as in hot salt Bluing ... you turn the outer cells of steel into Oxide. It’s not like a Paint. It’s more like a Suntan. If that makes sense.

You sparked one of my Wise Old Man Seminars .... oh groannnnnn. Hey! A little Respect. Now ... Kurt ... you know I’ll tell you anything you need to know. But first ....

I know it would be fun, one time through; for me to lay out what it’s taken me decades of hard won experience to learn. I know you don’t expect me to Kurt. And, I really hope readers don’t think I’m trying to be snooty. It’s just business. BUT ... there ARE people that I tell highly detailed technical specifics to. People who would really be helped by it. People who have taken the time to become friends. Maybe they have supported me. Maybe they’ve never spent a penny here, but they’ve shared a digital friendship for years. Kurt, I’ll tell you anything you care to know about this. You’ve taken the time. And I appreciate it. I’ve helped some craftsman who have proven that they worked hard and they’ve honesty tried to ferret out keys to particular puzzles. I know they’d really benefit from something I can lay out. And, they aren’t then going to just generally waste it in a public blab. When you think thru your work, you know that there are ways to tell what you do. What makes you valuable to your employer. And there’s a difference between what and how you’d describe your job on a site like this, and what you might not mention when your Boss asked you to train your replacement. The new person working for 25% less. You might just let them appreciate the things you USED TO DO that doesn’t get done now. Even the small stuff like why the coffee tastes like crap now cause YOU didn’t strictly follow the directions printed on the Vendor’s instructions. Hummmmm ...

Ok. See, you read all kinds of things here. Do you recall when Scotty (Star Trek) was advising a young engineer? Scotty’s molecules had been buffering in a Transporter for 75 years as a way to save himself when life support failed on a Shuttle that was lost in deep space. Now ... when rescued, he was getting a tour on advancements while he had been ... “away”. On the ship’s Intercom ... the Captain was spelling out an urgent need the Captain needed the young engineer to correct - ASAP!!!! And he asked the young man how long it would take??? “”About five hours Captain”. Scotty looked at the young Engineer with a sly “knowing smile” ... and said quietly ...”how long will it REALLY take?” The young man looked at Mr Scott with an odd look ... and said pointedly... “about five hours.” Scotty looked at the young man sadly ... shook his head ... and said ...”ah laddie ... you didn’t REALLY tell him how long it would ACTUALLY take, did you???”

“You say muuuuch longer. Then when the Captain squeezes you, you can look like a hero when you find ways to respond to the task!!”

Gee, somehow that all seemed relevant. Haha. Any task can be made to sound easy enough for a three year old if fitted into the current 30 minute TV show with 12 minutes of actual programming. The key is always learning where the buttons to push really are.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2019 12:48AM by barnespneumatic.
February 06, 2019 01:18AM
Gary,

I am really enjoying watching the airgun come together with your latest posts. It's been a couple of weeks since I was out here and there has been quite a bit of work done in that time to review. Keep on going Gary, I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Regards,

Karl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021