Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What’s He been Doing? what was that

What’s He been Doing? what was that
February 12, 2019 09:10PM
Getting Ye Olde Airgun Shoppe running again has has a list of chores associated with it. Many now complete.

As I’ve sold rifles and pistols, most people want to purchase the tooling for the Custom Projectiles to get the most from my Airgun. Of course; this always requires me to remake whatever I’ve sold. I know there should be a shop set of every conceivable mold, attachments, handles and such. And spares. As well as a Parts Room stocked with items to pull off shelves ... or have the robots do so. Maybe in a few months ...

For now, “Custom” still means Handmade. I know that anymore ... Custom has morphed to mean more like “Something was Prototyped a while back and then Sourced out to be manufactured in quantity. Nice. But I don’t do that. I still make my stuff. It takes time. In addition (and I fully admit this as a curse), “after my first good idea ..... I had another one!” “And another, another, another, another, another .... honestly back as far as I can remember. I’d improve and upgrade the steering design on my push go carts. Foot each side of the pivoted front axle bar. Then a rope attached each side. Then a “tiller” reaching back to the driver. Then a joystick like light aircraft. Followed by a steering wheel and sweep arm to tie rod, and actual kingpins. To steering wheel belt drive to a Corvair Steering Sector and better kingpins. Finally to stuff Ford and General Motors only DREAM OF ... haha. That’s what “Handmade” is to a bonofide genetic artist. It’s either fascinating or maddening. Just ask Kelly!

As you know, I recovered ground laid down by a 50 Caliber Beast PCP which I reacquired. People just plain wouldn’t care if you shot 1/4 MOA with a smooth bore. (I mean - cause most of history couldn’t develop anything accurate in Smooth Bore - ‘cept the Abrams Tank Barrel .... Whooohhhooo!!!! WAIT A DOGGONE MINUTE!!!! Doesn’t the US Army know about Rifling!???? Guess not ... hah.

No matter. I recut molds for the 50 Smoothy. And I think they are just big enough to fire in the 50 Barnes Rifled Barrel too.

Be back ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 01:10AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: What’s He been Doing? what was that
February 13, 2019 12:05AM
PART 2

So; I’ve been preparing and casting six of the 50 slugs. There are several more. It it gets too complex with too many variables.

I’m completing the final steps of putting the reservoir to stock ring, and drilling and finishing the stock to action bolt. Won’t take too long, then Ill have all the testing supplies.

A NOTE. I’ve made it a point to say little about my health issues. Nobody can change things. It’s really hard because unless you “sound sick”, or suffer from extremely serious condition, then there’s always someone who is validly much worse off. And we, justifiably save our reservoir of concern for them. However; a whole list of chronic pain issues can really wring you out. Recently, the combo of bone spurs inside the cervical fusion levels of my neck, chronic back pain from disc degeneration, and chronic migraines... have been a painful cocktail. I’ve mostly worked straight thru, but it’s not a picnic and 11-12 at night is very, very welcome. So; if there’s not a new segment complete to discuss each day, it’s being pushed as fast as possible. K, enough there. Thanks. Oh ... one reason I brought it up. I’ve had a number think I must be much much or all better now, to be working on Airguns. Not so. I knew it was time to show more in that chapter of my work.

The lead pot is still hot. Take Care. Thanks for stopping
Gary
February 13, 2019 04:02PM
Reservoir to Stock Band. Yayyy

1A3C966F-5063-4285-A7A8-4525F43F8008.jpeg

I have the Band ready to inlet now.

EFAE1701-F16C-4CA9-937B-5EE9F8207D5F.jpeg

I ended up Casting a bunch of slugs. 6 different 50 caliber designs to test the Outryder 50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 04:13PM by barnespneumatic.
February 13, 2019 11:46PM
Inlaid Stock Ring ...

B743013D-8B95-4789-B2FF-4EEB0DFD77AB.jpeg

Comments?

Gary
February 15, 2019 01:03PM
You are the Craftsman ! I do some wood working and I can't see how I would cut the inlet for that ring in a stock, yet alone do it perfectly ! Something had to move in a perfect semi-circle, a cutter or the stock, to make that inlay. That brass ring is awesome in its own right.
Very nice Gary.

Bob
February 15, 2019 03:27PM
Hi Robert.

Thank you much. Dremel tool and tool bit that I sharpened. You have to be confident and wade right in there. Do it wrong and ruin the stock. That’s why craftsmen charge five to ten times what I charge to do the same thing. People don’t realize how “fate” has offered an opportunity to them if they choose to take advantage of it. Just my dumb poor luck that has allowed me to do this quality of work for 45 years professionally. With Gunsmithing, I’ve “never” been at the place and time to generate the numbers that others draw. I had to stop reading about the “Handmade” work where Smiths start with an Action. Then they mount a production barrel. They buy a trigger block. Have someone engrave it. Etc., etc. Wholah!!! - Olde Worlde Craftsmanship! And the world is fine with this. So when I grouse about it, I’m the odd man out.

The guys that “assemble” their “Handmade” rifles, don’t build handmade rifles. Sorry. I’ve been everywhere in the public eye for 45 years. I’ve been on the net for 22-23 years. I’ve done alright with exposure. However; I’ve just not managed to connect with that promotional figure that could let me work while they promote. You know, if it only takes you a week to assemble your production parts, then you have a lot more time to stand around shows and backslap. Think about it. Ha.

Thanks Robert, for letting me have your space to bellyache. Haha.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 06:10PM by barnespneumatic.
February 14, 2019 09:33PM
You are the COMPLETE gunsmith NO doubt . You know there's sooooo much more to go into an airgun than a powder burner . Every build I see you do adds a new perspective to the total BARNES experience !

So are some of those bullets round balls too that you cast ? You will get a ton of information and enjoy the process too . I know you've instructed me but have you explained the bird shot shells to others yet ? Just one more tool in the .50 cal arsenal.

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021