Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wow HERE IT IS!!! boing. THE ACCURACY DATA!! shooter

wow HERE IT IS!!! boing. THE ACCURACY DATA!! shooter
February 15, 2019 11:39PM
455AC374-2729-43E7-B0C3-981A93B64739.jpeg

This is that brand new BARNES ULTRALIGHT 50 Caliber slug. 146 grains in 50 Caliber. I made a “slug” that weighs less then a round ball! The .490” (which is called a 50 but math shows you it’s smaller - so lighter ... but even that is 177.3 grains.). My full 50 caliber slug is 146 grains. Fine. Great. But is it a stunt or will it fly???

You tell me. See above! And THAT was through a 4X Simmons Shotgun scope as dusk was gathering!!! HOLY COW!!! I’m used to expanding anything on screen by opening my finger and thumb. When I sat and looked thru this scope, I thought I must be looking thru the wrong end!!! But I got situated and settled on that scope’s Diamond reticle. I was amazed when the second slug barely made a mark on the first hole. And when the third did the same ... Incredible!!!

But of course, the current major question is: IS THIS AN EXCELLENT RIFLE? YES, YES IT IS!!!!!

I’m going to the lower shop to get a velocity for you, on that slug thru OUTRYDER #6, as I shot this group (ahhhh .... hole .... hahaah).

Thanks for reading. If this gun doesn’t sell immediately, I’m going to raise the price ...
Gary

OK - I’M BACK. HERE IT IS - WITH COMMENT

9040E434-DD29-469F-9BF8-E0734D248171.jpeg

910 ... but ... I had it on the same line feed as in the shooting trailer ... still, I don’t think the gun took a SIP off the tank before this shot. You know there is a bracket of psi drop, where the remaining reservoir psi (after every shot) is sufficient to keep the intake closed, even though technically the line feed is at a higher psi setting. What I saw when unclipping the gun was that instead of 3,075 psi (my last setting) the gun was reading 2,900 psi on the line (after moving to the shop and recoupling the line. When I hooked up again, I didn’t hear the gun go .... Oohooozzzz. So; that means it didn’t feel like a sip for the 175 psi difference.

Now it may make no diff, but I’ll verify tomorrow. It’s too late to make much noise now. Also, after I installed the ball bearing unit, I didn’t re-lube the hammer itself. I counted on the remaining lube, but I recall I had cleaned the tube ... in case there was debris in it. So; just saying ... we might still be a touch off peak velocity. But, no matter; it shoots like a laser!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2019 03:30AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: wow HERE IT IS!!! boing. THE ACCURACY DATA!! shooter
February 16, 2019 12:18AM
Man
One ragged hole . Does it get any better ? SAAAAWEEET

Thanks
Kurt
February 16, 2019 03:18AM
FORGOT;

Getting the rifle ready for the range, I was hurrying against darkness. It was coming fast. Too faded already to use the Chronograph outside without lights.

I went thru my mental list ... looked at the rifle ... duhhhhh ... no scope !!!! Ahhhhhhh

So I quickly looked at two guns with mounted scopes .... Weaver ...... and .... Weaver. Nuts.

I dash to the drawers under a work bench. Pulled one out and there .... inside socks for protection and against dust was .... “a SIMMONS 4X TURKEY FEDERATION SHOTGUN SCOPE”. Yaaaaaayyyyy. Haha. How many times have they saved my bacon. And I’ve always said ... if it shoots with my cheap scope, it should shoot with your trophy scope. Haha.

I slid that Vintage Glass on the rail (it was already on a pr. of fiiiiine Simmons Scope Mts!!! Yessir!!!

Tighten ... and off to the range.

The group you see is from that scope. It’s laid in that drawer for seven years down here. Perhaps more in Maryland. Last usage it was clearly on another gun. I slid that on and never touched the windage or elevation. Built that gun on my frame for jig welding this fixture. Threaded the barrel in. Measured the C/C of the reservoir and barrel. Made the rubber mounted barrel ring. BANG! And THAT is the placement of three newly designed slugs, thru my hand built barrel, etc. Not bad at all.

Gary
February 17, 2019 02:12PM
Gary,

"Not bad at all", that is incredible! All handmade. It really shows off the skills you have accumulated over the many years. The many little things you have incorporated to improve the performance of the rifle. Would have never thought of adding ball bearings to the spring/hammer. This is just another example of your ingenuity.

I think we knew the rifle would turn out well. Now we have confirmation.

Pedro
February 18, 2019 01:34AM
That will work!

Ever see any deer up there? The area should be prime for them.

Lon
February 18, 2019 02:37AM
We have seen young ones Lon.

A neighbor said he’d seen a huge buck before.

I’d probably see a Unicorn first. Haha.

Gary
February 18, 2019 02:57PM
Awesome Target, you got a love making one ragged hole with a new light slug design and a low power scope that was never sighted in !!
Can hardly wait too see how the other Slugs group.
Great job Gary.

Bob
February 18, 2019 04:08PM
Thk you Bob,

Maybe today/tomorrow, I’m going to do more testing. When I shot that target, dusk was here. And It proved BOTH the SLUG AND RIFLE!!! You’ll know Bob, that with shooting, if ANY component in the loop is weak, the target suffers.

I don’t think that’s really appreciated. Not that it’s “denied”, but it’s just not thought through. I’ve always said ... you can’t take the gun out of the cabinet every seven years. Grab a box of slugs - shake it good to see if it has a bunch in there. Toss the soft case bag in the car trunk, slam the trunk lid on the scope. Get to the range and sit it on a concrete bench. Go post a target at 100 yards. Put ... what was that fill psi???? Ah heck .... every PCP is 3,000 psi right? Grab a slug at random and shove it in ... etc., BANG. ........... WHATTT??? It wasn’t a 10X!!!!! What a Rip Off!

Never going to happen unless “everything is PERFECT”. It’s a sport where nobody gets a “Checkbook Trophy.” No “Participation Trophy.” Even a perfect Gun can’t overcome the wrong psi fill. It can’t overcome a slug that’s been knocked around with the base dinged. It can’t accurately shoot an undersized slug. It has to be a slug which was designed for the rifling. The rifle can’t overcome an occasional/casual shooter. It has to be pointed at the target - sights. Concrete benches respond horrible to recoil. And, of course; no great target is going to be printed by a rifle that needs repair. Needs a tune. Or ... a rifle that was just poorly made.

No; everything after you decide to go shooting, has to come together, if you are going to print a target like I showed last. Issues only “stack” in one direction. Issues stack “Against” you. It’s why I proof every rifle. I proof every slug. I show the targets.

Thanks Robert, for letting me chat on. I’d spread it out over more conversation participants if I could.

Thanks for posting!

Gary
February 20, 2019 01:36AM
Ahhh, the venerable Simmons 4x Turkey scope. As I have said forever, they should give you an endorsement just for mounting that thing on one of your rifles. shooter Man, that's a nice group though!

Real good to see guns being made again. Hope you guys are doing great!

-- Jim
June 25, 2019 12:22PM
June 25, 2019 08:28PM
This gun hasn't sold yet????
I can't believe it!!!!
If I didn't already have one, I would buy it.
Someone needs this gun for deer hunting this fall!

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021