Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Important Facts. BARNES PNEUMATIC

Important Facts. BARNES PNEUMATIC
March 19, 2019 09:18PM
Give me these few paragraphs to set it up please. Ok. I said I was swinging to Airguns. A relative number of folks shared my accomplishment. They said they’d been excited to think I was moving toward my goal. You all remember I’d explained how I’d been “Stay’n Alive - Stay’n Alive” ... wearing these white bell bottoms, for the purpose of getting back into Airguns. And I did! I had the chance to reacquire my very first 50 Caliber. The Smoothie 50 Tilt Breech - Rear Hammer. A beast of a 500 fpe PCP. A way to get into significant shooting without starting from absolute scratch! So; I reproduced the casting molds and sizing dies that had become separated from the gun, and I produced Barnes Ammo. I hit the range. Set up indoor testing for chrono data. Posted same.

Onward to finishing Outryder 50 #6. While fresh off the Ammo production machinery, I reproduced the needed Molds and Dies for the 50 caliber Outryder. The copies I had had been sold with the past Outryder’s in order to feed those guns. I made the new items, and tested some in the 50 Smoothie since they were a crossover design. I showed you the desired 1,000 FPS velocity folks like, and I did it with a Barnes Rifle - unaltered - that came back to me after 8-9 years with no maintenance. Next, I brought you along through the action build, and stock build, on the 50 caliber Outryder. At last! Ready to fire. With classic Outryder 50 Slugs and brand new Barnes designs, I took you to the indoor data range and next to the Outdoor target range. The slugs printed well. The data was great. Even though it was early testing, a few of the targets were spectacular! Ragged one hole groups.

I refined the gun. Tuned. Even upgraded the rifle based upon field testing: Cocking Stud Extension and 2 Stage Target Trigger. Added a Ball Bearing Mainspring Turntable. Offered the completed gun for sale. Moved immediately to a great custom Inlaid Saddle Back Locking Folder with an Acid Etched Blade. Bushing mounted blade rotation. Quite different from the pack. Heat blued Saddle Spring.

Next I worked a couple of days toward finally completing that shrouded 50 Barrel and Breech set for an Outryder Owner. I did also complete several sets of tools for the projects mentioned. To move future copies along quicker. The need for a new tool always becomes evident with each copy made. It’s time we’ll spent and accuracy gained each time.

Then I moved to another unique craft. Turning Sheet metal into an heirloom, by raising domed clamshell halves. Crafted integral hinges and Catch, from the very same sheet of brass. Added a strikingly dramatic Lion Shield struck in a Tool Steel Die which I hand carved years back. ...... yeah .... we are coming back around to guns. The Case was finished in a hand hammered oxidize patina. The Object clicks strong and the 4 by 5 knuckle hinges are strong and true. A small lesser version that Ive carried for nearly 30 years, has never let me down. And is moving toward being one of “Pop’s EDC” items Steve. I saw that term used elsewhere a few days ago. Ha. Ok. So the Pocket Folder and the Case were placed on the site for sale.

I moved right into .... well, actually I continued gathering the parts from inventory for the 25 moderated Pistol I’m making. With the Black Hot Blued frame. The Glass beaded Aluminum Moderator Tube. The Disappearing Slide Breech mechanism. Linear hammer. Color Laminated Full Stock. All parts cleared with ledger sheets as stuff generated when changes were made.

Back to the story. I started the Tiger Stripe Saddle Back Locking Folder with the Acid Etched Blade. A really Classic looking piece. Yep. Could have made a Liner lock. I’ve made about 600 of them I suspect. Actually, I bought a knife about six months ago. I peer into the cases as I go about my rounds. This fine piece is a liner lock. It had a neat assist open mechanism I just wanted to look at closer. You know how 12 out of 10 knives today are assist open liner locks. This one weighs about eighteen pounds. Nice solid piece. You can’t hold it and activate it one handed. Too awkward. But the design is just mildly flawed. No biggie. But I hated to compromise the collector value of a six dollar knife by altering it. Ah .., back to mine. Weightless. Surgically slim blade. Much like the one I made as a lecture Prop about 25 or so years ago. I’ve kept going back to it each time Ive sold my own nice knife out of my own pocket. Well, this newest one has the Tiger Striped Walnut everybody likes. Neat knife. On the list.

Then I moved back to the Pistol for half a day. Set aside to complete this 97 MINI. Almost done. A great Mammoth Mosaic. Everyone has enjoyed those. I’ve proven my Mosaic technique over the last 30 years. Thru all seasons and temperatures, it’s served beautifully and allowed details others can’t match.

Ok, well you knew the few paragraphs would stretch. Ha. Ok ... the plan though. Back to Airguns. Get one of those ledger guns off the inventory shelves and worked on. Man, looks like somebody has a “focus problem”. You are all over the map Dude. Wait. Let’s see ... Smoothie, Ammo Development, Range, Outryder, Ammo, Range, Knife, Expedition Case, Pistol, Knife, model 97 ... yes, that is one huge effort of work. What’s missing? Ahhhh!! Nutzzzz!!!! SOLD signs. I can’t beLIEVE I forgot the Sold signs. Well that’s the problem right there. That is months and months of work, and I forgot the Sold Signs.

That’s why I’ve made so many items at such a wide range of pricing. More later. Thanks for reading ...
Re: Important Facts. BARNES PNEUMATIC
March 20, 2019 03:18AM
You've been busy and looks like your having fun. Did you find the cause of the burning smell?
Re: Important Facts. BARNES PNEUMATIC
March 20, 2019 01:47PM
I did not Steve.

Half my mind is working on it. We have kicked around all sorts of things. I still can’t get past my nose telling me it was “Ozone” and the older Fireman immediately agreeing. Yet the younger Firemen zones in on the stove. And there WAS a strong Oder from behind the stove when it was tipped out from the wall. But then, after examining it thoroughly, the firemen declared it was properly installed, and they turned on the gas again and tested it. No smell.

Intermittent problems are the worst to find. The stove is a Kenmore Elite and it weighs a ton. They had 3-4 guys (and one was a young man twice my size so he was 3-4 more), and they pulled it out or tipped it and examined it for some time while I was belly crawling with a Fireman and Firelady, under the house with a meter the size of a toaster. So: after they did all that and declared it sound, do I hiss around with it and break something (and maybe hurt the stove too - ha). Or do I hire the gas company crew (most likely for the cost of a good model 97) to repeat exactly what the Firemen did. And of course, “while it’s out” - might as well replace A,B,and C.

So; as you see, I’ve thought about it.

Thanks very much
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021