Advanced

Getting Better?

Getting Better?
June 09, 2019 12:10AM
No part is done, but it’s “Comin’ in Hot!”

A619311E-E16C-4EB1-85FC-9E1246850B30.jpeg

What do you think,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2019 12:15AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Getting Better?
June 09, 2019 06:09AM
Lots of Likes!!!!
June 09, 2019 06:41PM
Sweet Gary

That walrus scales almost looks like ivory from that picture. I know my one of my Barnes knives has ivory scales on it . Have you done much in ivory or is it too unstable to use .
I really like the diagonal pattern you extended into the aluminum from the scales . Outstanding fer sure. What was the length of that knife?

Thanks
Kurt
June 10, 2019 01:32PM
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for asking (and trying to get me locked up - haha). The sensibilities regarding Ivory are strong today. Let me clarify a few points which I believe are current. It’s Elephant Ivory that is banned today. I forget the exact year that the Ivory Ban went into effect. I’ll look it up and edit. However; at that time, of course there was Ivory materials which had been purchased “Pre-Ban” (at considerable expense), laying on Craftspeople’s workshop shelves, all over the world. The Ban prevented the “continued” trade in Elephant Ivory - and I think it was only African Elephant Ivory at the start. Think of it this way: if a new ban was passed today on .... say..... “Diamonds” .... well there’d be a bunch of expensive inventory in jeweler’s safes around the world. As with the Ivory Ban, the emphasis was on “new trade”. So; that’s why you may see a knife advertised as having “Pre Ban” Ivory Scales.

Now, in later years, sensibilities have tightened and tightened until the most stringent practitioners have gathered works of art from everywhere, piled them up, and burned them. This group wants to go back thru history and force compliance of their current values. That’s always how religion, politics, or culture, wipes out the record of what was in power before they came on the scene.

And so; no, I don’t do anything with modern Ivory. I legally purchased what was the top drawer handle material, and used it, way back in “the day”, before the issue blew up.

Now, “Ancient Ivory”, or what’s often called “Fossil Ivory”, is not prohibited. Walrus Tusk “are” Ivory. As are the Bugle Teeth of Elk, or the spiral horn of the Narwhale. In some areas, the harvest of prehistoric Wooly Mammoth and Mastadon Tusk is part of the economy of natives living in the areas where such items are found. Gold mining uses water canons to erode and separate ore from dirt and stone. In this process, Mammoth Tusk are found. There were great huge numbers of these animals for thousands of years. Their Tusk, being Ivory, remain behind. Think of nature shows you’ve seen. The beach herds of Walrus. It’s been so for thousands of years. The Walrus pass away. Their Ivory Tusk do not. They are found, sold to legitimate Ancient Ivory dealers, who put the materials on the legitimate Ancient Ivory Market.

And so; the Walrus Tusk here “Are” Ancient Ivory. But I always just use the term “Tusk” to avoid the trigger word. It’s beautiful material. The Tusk of a Walrus that died many thousands of years ago, seems as valid on my Art Knife as rolling around in the surf, to my mind.

Hope the information was interesting.

Best
Gary
June 12, 2019 02:05PM
Gary
That is a lot of good information for sure. Most people myself included think of elephants when you hear ivory. There are so many different kinds and looks to them . They all have their own beauty. A couple years back I bought a bag of walrus teeth. They wash up on shore I guess and come in all shapes and colors and sizes.
Regulations are different all over too for instance fly tying materials. Polar bear fur which is great to make flys with is not so easy to get with the bears being endangered almost .
When I started tying my own flys I got a lot of materials from taxidermy people. Cheap small parts were pretty much free. I scored some fur from different areas on a polar bear and it’s some of my very special material I use . Ok well back to ivory as a youngster my dad would refurbish pianos and we’d get all the free ones we could and then strip them down for parts . Now the keys were the best in my mind . They’ve got pure soft lead for counter weight and ivory to dress the top of the keys . I saved a lot of coffee cans full . The ivory was super thin so probably not good for much except matching keys on pianos with broken parts .
Well thanks for the little history lesson. It was a good read More coffee

Thanks
Kurt
June 13, 2019 12:45PM
I’m glad you enjoyed it Kurt,

Yes, your Walrus Teeth are Ivory. And they are beautiful material. Such rich color has leached into them. I bought some many years back. Only have a few now. They’d be really pretty in a mosaic.

Knife nearly complete. So much work on one like this. We’ve also been establishing our Jewelry business. Good indicators there. Adjusting to yet another different world.

Thks Kurt,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021