Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Threads on that Valve Stub ...

The Threads on that Valve Stub ...
June 10, 2019 11:15PM
To drain the shop Air Compressor Tank ... are left handed. The valve drains when it’s compressed in. That pops the O ring inside the tank and exposes the drain. It’s all just instinctly backwards. And ... with a headache ...

1460D034-8C6E-4C6C-9A48-3AADD593E20B.jpeg

Well, one COULD just thread the whole plug out of the bottom. That would release a quart or two of filthy oily water in a 150 psi stream blowing all over EVERYTHING.

13FA54D2-A6EF-4427-8311-2C39270EEADE.jpeg

Like a bunch of finished blued parts in vertical storage packs

7D826E23-A040-4C7A-A7B6-C8BF06DBA106.jpeg

Or ....

D4A0F12A-ACD6-4B8E-A78E-8B687F9BF746.jpeg

And ... BTW ...that rusty oily mess can quickly turn an old white beard to Strawberry blond.
Re: The Threads on that Valve Stub ...
June 11, 2019 02:00AM
Way to take one for the team man!

Lon
June 11, 2019 11:46AM
Mr Yuk
That’s some nasty ole stuff in them compressors . The one in our shop has a 1” pipe that goes outside the building and it blasted about 20ft . They do get bad in the summer with the humidity!
Glad you had glasses on !

Thanks
Kurt
June 17, 2019 01:45AM
Hellow every one, my name is Fabian, i’m from MÉXICO and new to the forum, not sure if i am doing it right, well, the thing is that i just got a gary Barnes air rifle in .177 caliber for FT, the problem is that is leaking air from the regulator, i will change o rings but there is a small screw on the regulator and don’t know what is it for, i will be very thankfull if some one could help me
June 17, 2019 01:57PM
Hello Fabian,

Welcome to Rendezvous.

If you are able to post a picture of the whole rifle, I’d be sure which one I’m thinking of. I suspect your rifle has an adjustable regulator. Where the pressure the rifle fires off of can be adjusted by the screw you mention.

Your rifle is about 22 years old. I’m certain the O rings are used up. And it’s entirely possible that previous people have adjusted and even altered things. Before you move the screw, take a Macro picture so you can put it back as it is. However; I suspect it’s been moved many times and isn’t correct now.

Please be careful. I’ll help if I can. Before you disassemble anything, you might try adding several drops of light weight oil to the air intake when filling. Such as Air Tool Oil. Fire the rifle several times. It’s possible the parts are dry and stuck inside.

Best,
Gary
June 18, 2019 02:51PM
Hellow Gary, i finally found those 3 o rings on the spool and replaced them, now i found that it leaks from valve stem, i will try to make one, the delring part that seals is comming apart from the metal popet, hope i can replace it, thanks
June 18, 2019 03:06PM
I suspect the Delrin is sitting in a pocket. If it’s not deformed, just clean the socket and any residue off the delrin. Clean both areas with a bit of lacquer thinner. Super Glue the delrin back into the seat.
June 18, 2019 03:40PM
Ah. I thought you met in the regulator.

Kelly is sending you back comments I just corrected. Should help you
June 27, 2019 12:25PM
Well, I finally got this rifle to shoot, but still don’t know the max fill pressure recommended, I had to make a new transfer port since the one it had was too short, seems like someone messed with it, also don’t know the right position n the regulator screw. I would really like to use it for FT but need this information to do so, hope you can help me please
June 27, 2019 01:03PM
You will have to chart the rifle.

Fill it to perhaps 2,000 to 2,500psi and start shooting across a chronograph. Chart your Bell Curve. Adjust fill pressure and regulator until you get a nice level group of shots. It takes more time because you have the combination of two immediate variables. You also told me you replaced the firing valve head. If the total length of the firing pin changed by doing that, it would effect the hammer stroke. Another variable.

This is the work we are supposed to enjoy at the range. I’m sure you understand that I don’t have the exact numbers for each rifle. Especially when they’ve been serviced and altered (by various owners) over 22 years. I also wouldn’t begin to know how to tell you the position of a screw adjust on a regulator. Shoot, chart, shoot more. Learn your rifle. I hope you enjoy your rifle. I put my heart into building it well. That’s why it has survived to be enjoyed today.

You once asked me what it’s worth. That is totally up to the secondary market and collectors. I can’t enforce that. Personally, if it’s shooting well and cosmetically nice, I’d think it’s worth at least $5,000

Best
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2019 01:46PM by barnespneumatic.
June 28, 2019 12:18AM
Ok. I understand, thank yuo, i’ll Start doing some tests
June 28, 2019 12:54AM
Fabian,

The farther in the adjust screw, the LESS PSI the gun is firing off of. Don’t tighten anything “firmly”. If there is resistance then stop.

Now ... turn the screw all the way in. Then back it off two full turns.

Fill the gun to 1,900 psi. Many of my early guns did a lot of work off of little pressure.

With those settings, start shooting over a chronograph. Let’s make up an example. Say you set the screw and fill to 1,900 and first shot is 750 FPS. Gonna use ideal examples. Say second shot is 750. Third is 750. Fourth thru 10 are 750. Ok. Great. The Regulator is working.

Now 11 is 700. 12 is 630 FPS. Ok ... you have “Fallen off the Regulator”. As they say. Refill to 2,100 psi. If shots start at 750 again, then your Regulator is Perfect.

Now let’s say you are getting your 750 FPS ... but you are only getting 3 shots before you fall off. That would indicate that the regulator is running very close to your fill pressure. They are equalizing after just a few shots. Try going with a bit more pressure to give your Regulator more air to work with.

Don’t fill the gun past 3,000 psi. That’s a very early gun. It’s safe but the threads are pressurized in that design. It will cause the O rings to weep at higher pressure. It will just extrude the ring and weep. Not dangerous. Just a safety blow off and a nuisance to replace. Not required as the guns were lower psi operated guns to get more use from the 3,000 psi tanks everyone had then. I made my guns run about 1,900 psi to do the work others had to have 3,000 psi to duplicate.

Lots of subjects here. Hope this helps.

Gary
June 28, 2019 02:42AM
Thanks Gary, this will help a lot
June 17, 2019 08:48PM
Thanks for respondiing, i will try to post pictures, the gun is allready disassembled
June 17, 2019 09:07PM
Will you be so kind giving me an email to send the pictures please? I am trying to do it here but don’t know how. Just to let you know i te places all o ring even the 2 in the regulator but when i try to fill the rifle the air scapes through that screw in the regulator
June 17, 2019 09:11PM
I will send you a PM. You will get a notification in your email
With a link.

Gary
June 17, 2019 09:12PM
Thank you
June 17, 2019 10:06PM
Hi Fabian,

That screw .... if it goes in diagonally ... has a 45 degree head. It pushes against the bottom of a steel ported spool. The spool has two O rings on it. The spool has a valve head which is the cut off for the regulator.

I suspect the O rings on the spool have failed after 20 plus years.

At any rate, the diagonal screw doesn’t hold pressure and it doesn’t have an O ring as I recall. It is a position adjustment for the sliding ported cut off.

The regulator was an early one of mine and, as it typical; I started at the deep end of the pool with not only a regulator but a pressure adjust regulator.

Gary
June 18, 2019 12:08AM
Thanks every one for your comments, it is a beautifull rifle indeed, i hope i can get it fixed soon and will let you know how it works
June 18, 2019 12:21AM
I’m sorry if i make mistakes in my posts, but thanks to all of you guys for your comments and sugestions, i’ll keep you informed
June 18, 2019 12:43AM
You have done fine with your posts.

The problem with your rifle has to be the Bottom O ring on the steel sliding spool inside. That is the one closest to the flat bottom of the spool. I would use Neoprene or Viton O rings. And take note, some ring material is “thicker/fatter” than other materials. Measure them. Use the fattest material.

I saw in the pics you sent, that rifle even has a genuine “Set Trigger” .... as in a internal spring loaded hammer that you cock first. That then releases with a breath and the internal hammer flies to strike the Sear bar. That was my first FT Rifle and I really went the full mile filling it with features.

I’m always a bit nervous to congratulate myself on earlier work because that work already left my shop. Ha. Today, it’s current work that pays the bills. So I don’t especially want to encourage people to beat the bushes for my older work instead of buying from me. Hey ... I do have a nice 50 caliber for sale that would knock over those FT critters! Ha. Really.

Ok ... rules rules rules ...

Ha. Ok. Note
Gary
June 18, 2019 01:30AM
Ok, so, in the pictures i sent you there are two o rings, if i understand correct, must be the one in the middle, how many o rings must be in the regulator??, as i mentioned before, i replaced tose two , is there another one i’m missing?
June 18, 2019 12:46PM
Hi Fabian,

I’ve looked at the pics you sent, several times. I do not see one part of the regulator that is the one which carries the O ring that would be leaking.

Of course there are two O rings on the housing of the Regulator body. Then, there is the internal Piston with the Belleville Washer stack, and two more O rings on that.

Now ... there is another part. It’s the Ported Spool which is the movable cut off Valve head. There are two more O rings on that and it’s the bottom one of those, that’s closest to the screw where the air is coming out. (The end of the screw pushes on this missing part). The So in total ... there are 6 O rings to the Regulator (4 inside and 2 outside). I guess it’s possible that the spool cut off valve is still inside the housing and you did not realize it’s in there. I don’t see it in your pics Fabian.

Best
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 12:56PM by barnespneumatic.
June 17, 2019 09:48PM
Howdy Fabian
Welcome to the Rendezvous
Congratulations on your Barnes airgun . I certainly hope you get it shooting soon . I’ve had good luck with transmission ( red ) fluids on my orings . It’s super lightweight and synthetic. I’ve just recently started using Marvel mystery oil on some items too.
Gary I never knew you went all the way down to .177 cal . No disrespect but did you make the barrel or .... was it rifled? Hmmm I can’t wait to see pictures. Haha excited

Thanks
Kurt
June 17, 2019 10:13PM
I was gonna mention Marvelous Mystry Oil and forgot. Knew a very good “Car Port Mechanic” who swore by it and fixed amazing stuff. Like the turbo sedan he bought to resell. Filled it with Marvelous Mystery Oil and ran it at about 12,000 rpms for about 5-10 minutes!!!! The thing purred when he let off. Amazing.... ah ... Marvelous.

No. The barrel was either a Walther or Shin Sung. I think a Walther.

Thks Kurt,
Gary
June 17, 2019 11:35PM
Fabian

WOW!!! You HIT THE MOTHER LODE!!!!!

When I first started, I wanted to shoot FT at our Rifle Club. I made that rifle for myself. I spared no effort. That’s Walnut my Grandfather milled on his commercial lSawmill - about the 1940’s. Maybe earlier.

I had just learned to do Splash Anodizing which your rifle Features.

Kelly sent me a few pics to my phone. I’m going to the house to see your pics on the computer.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 01:01PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021