Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How Much is FOUR TIME$ the Work? typing bullhorn

How Much is FOUR TIME$ the Work? typing bullhorn
June 21, 2019 09:00PM
436FB14E-C30E-4BED-A718-C1661FBAA4D7.jpeg

Usually a bit less then twice as much.

stunned

Think about it. Look at the difference between this and a $500 knife. Do you think I can charge $2,000 for this one today? Sure, in 1983, no problem.

Ok, so you are telling me this knife is about four times the work of a $500 knife? “Yes”. And you have it priced at $975? “Yes”.

AH HAAAAAH!!!!! I’VE CAUGHT YOU!!!! FINALLY!!!!! Then, divide your $975 by 4 .... ahhh ... ought .... carry the one ... $243.75!!!!! One quarter of $975 is $243.75!!! That’s what you SHOULD BE charging for the 8-10 days you work in that $500 knife Mr. Smartie Pants. Caught red handed. We should be paying you .... (lets average it out to 9 ... nine days). Ok ... let’s see $243.75 Knife now ... over 9 days .... divide by Pi .... carry the square root .... $27 !!!!! TWENTY SEVEN DOLLARS a day. Now THAT is more like it!!! Nah ....... wait ........ something’s not quite right. That’s not much ....

Ah, if you are selling a fine knife for $500 ... and this Electric Walrus Knife is about 4 times the work .... but you aren’t charging $2,000 for it ... then you are getting seriously ... ah.... “rotated on an inclined plane” if you get my drift. But we can’t take that $975 and divide it by 4 or you are only making $27/day. Not an hr. now, a day. Something’s seriously wrong.

Yep. The key here is that I’ve been willing to make dramatically finer work for a modest increase in wage. So that I can do fine work. So the Barnes Work out there will BE FINE WORK. “Well Son ... when people get wind of that, they are gonna work you to death taking advantage of that cost discrepancy between your fine and your extra fine work!!!”

“Huh ... never thought that through ...”

Ok .... the Dramatization is complete. Hope you absorbed the points.

There is simply a price at which you can function in this country at this time. And, I’ve been willing to work very very fare for quite a few years. I realize I make “elective objects”. Ok .... I make s fine product for that “functional” price. But, I CAN MAKE SO MUCH MORE than that. And so so do from time to time. But I can’t take even that modest functional price and multiply it out according to just HOW FINE the work gets. And so, the test here is “Can I sell 4 times the work for 1.9 times the price?

Let’s See.

436FB14E-C30E-4BED-A718-C1661FBAA4D7.jpeg

Assembled Complete Pictures soon.

Two more green dots.

Gary
Re: How Much is FOUR TIME$ the Work? typing bullhorn
June 23, 2019 06:49PM
Gary
I hear you loud and clear . Everyone is wanting more for less in the work place . Some of the crazy job descriptions I read AND hear include any and every thing plus crap we haven’t thought up yet and all for the same meager or less wages .
When I went to a week long training out of country, the people doing the training kinda chuckled. They were used to 3-4 people for my position to run a machine , program CNC files, Maintnence scheduled and break down and of course a back up operator!

Yup here I IS !

Thanks
Kurt
Re: How Much is FOUR TIME$ the Work? typing bullhorn
June 23, 2019 08:26PM
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for posting.

So: what you are saying is .... “I am my own Grandpa?” Haha. “You are your own back up.” Hah.

The whole world has changed Kurt. We want to “see things” ... but quickly ... ‘cause we no longer have an attention span. We want to “see” things but not so much “own” the things we see. We don’t use the stuff we have. Boats sit in yards. Motorcycles sit in the garage. RVs sit in the driveway. Not to mention the Piano, Guitar, Golf Clubs. Well, the Grandkids do use the ATV, haha. We are all busy working.

I’m finding that the whole idea of “handmade heirloom quality craftsmanship” is just like a Latin Phrase in an old coin anymore. We bought into the “Pallet” furniture, the “Bottle Cap and Bead” jewelry, the “Rat Rod”, the “Distressed Jeans”, etc., etc., etc. Pity the Craftsmen Kurt. Ha.

It’s time for the pendulum to swing back Kurt.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 11:34PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021