Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SURVEY typing target plane WITH SURVEY EXTENSION bowing -- Far East

SURVEY typing target plane WITH SURVEY EXTENSION bowing -- Far East
October 04, 2019 01:22PM
I’d like to know your opinions of the Anodizing, and of the Auto functions of the recent knives. They are a lot of work. Just the anodizing requires a list of steps and chemicals that would make you turn your paper over to write on the back!

9D2B5D1E-8137-473E-97C1-2A6C7F88BE1A.jpeg

FC8F1F22-E789-4C34-A9F6-5754BA42BDB0.jpeg

7DE55C56-E927-4110-8234-5E7A5C1253C1.jpeg

5F43128A-0B0E-4B91-8031-6EECC310B4C5.jpeg

Survey Extension

879385C6-9ADB-4776-8808-737FB1FAA9D9.jpeg

BCADE6D8-838B-4841-B9BC-21273D5D8845.jpeg

6540D11D-308A-4DB6-9EF8-CFC1D0F89151.jpeg

Thanks

Gary

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 05:02PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: SURVEY typing target plane
October 05, 2019 02:14PM
Hi Gary
Well the functionality appears to be very smooth and lock up sounds great ! It’s hard to give more of an opinion of the auto without holding and using . I know a lot of folks don’t carry anything that expensive. I really don’t understand WHY . It’s a very durable tool and there’s nothing worse than pulling out a crap knife from your pocket and not being able to cut anything with ease . I’m not talking about opening boxes either but daily I carry a $1100 Barnes’s and use it . Now if you think about 5-7 years of carrying the same tool ( in my pocket) and never having to grind the blade sharp , well that’s a pretty good investment per year ! I’ve had to re glue the inserts but I’m kinda ruff on tools . BTW I I I’ve never let anyone use my knife . I handed it to them to brag and when asked if I have a knife I will cut whatever is needed within reason .

Ok now as to the anodizing .... I like the brown knife but I’m not a fan of the splash colors. My wife on the other hand loves it . It would be easier to find and I’m not sure IF it’s got a texture feel to it or not . It looks 3D even without the check pattern. I’ve watched some vid’s on home anodizing and almost always they end up doing it 2 times due to screwing up the process.
It looks like you’ve got it “down pat” !

Ps: I STILL really like the brown deep rich color. It’s more my style .

Thanks
Kurt
October 05, 2019 07:52PM
Hi Kurt,

No texture feel. The color is wicked into the vertical straw like structure of the Anodized transformation if aluminum cells. Then the cells close. The Sealer finishes the job. It has a great feel. Not slippery. Not like polished anything. To me, it’s a lot like quality glove leather or deerskin, without the “give”.

Thanks for participating!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 07:53PM by barnespneumatic.
October 05, 2019 04:05PM
I agree with Kurt. The simple brown appeals to me as a utilitarian knife but I do like the whimsical splash color knife (the Auto). My major concern about the uniform brown is pocket scratches with keys, coins etc. I know it is a hard finish but most of my pots and pans that are hard anodized have scratches and wear marks. The color anodizing can hide scratches much better. Now after saying all that I still like your inlay knifes. While I have several Barnes the major use one is a beautiful shell/malachite/ebony inlay. Most times my carry/ work knife is an old Scharade that gets beat up cutting cardboard, hitting staples, and has been sharpened a number of times and has a curve from my poor sharpening techniques. It also has been nicked, lost in car seats and almost "lost" at an airport until i remembered to put into checked luggage at the last minute. Would not want to do that to a Barnes. Its handles are checkered (almost worn smooth) wood, and the blade is a matt finish and all fit my hand well. I bought 4 of them for $15 each and have lost only 2 so far in 5 years. Not bad but glad they were not Barnes!!! I would cry.

Thanks for your posting and hope all is well. Hint of the day "Avoid Hurricanes!" at least you don't have to shovel rain in winter.

Gary L
October 05, 2019 08:15PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your comments.

Yeah. I lost a custom Barnes to TSA. I was late enough. Had curb checked my bags. Missing flight wasn’t an option.

I just carry any good knife in a glove leather slip. I’ve made them with a leather extension strap which exited the pocket and snapped around the bottom of the nearest belt loop. In that way only about 1 1/2” of strap shows above pocket entrance. Knife rides vertical flat against thigh. Other stuff in pocket is below the bottom of the pouch. Knife totally safe and secure and slacks are smooth.

You’d never create something scratch proof. It would have to be a block of Carbide. Anything remotely warm or appealing will scratch, crack, stain, dent. Any nice artifact won’t survive. If you wish a knife for Jeans then it’s Micarta.

I appreciate your comments. Thank you much!
You know, I’ve tried a tremendous number of times, to see if I could hit a simple design that might become popular. Some can do it. Others can make simple things that achieve a cult following. Congrats to them. I have made sooo many things and, since I don’t own one other then the few for sale and a couple family knives ... they have all sold. But for a favorite list of features, I can’t say. So I try to survey. I’d like to see that Saturday Jeans Pocket Barnes that sells at a conservative price regularly. But the wish list gets way too complex for the wish price. I’d love to find the compromise.

Best!
Gary
October 06, 2019 11:43AM
This afternoon, I plan to post a discussion on color and pattern as well as anodizing technique.

Hope you all care to join.

Have a great morning
Gary
October 07, 2019 02:16PM
I’d like to continue this discussion please. And I really appreciate your participation.

I haven’t been “able” to perform to the capacity planned. Life does that to us when things change. I won’t review here.

Regarding this survey, you’ve read for years, that I hoped to establish a “background” product line to support the main goal of completing projects I’ve set out to honor. I know I’m always at risk when I ask for opinions. “More Airguns”, would be nice too. And it may seem that ...”if you can build what you show, then you could build other things.” Please consider the one insidious variable .... “time”. Because I can invest 3-4 days into something, doesn’t mean that I could just as easily invest 3-4 plus weeks into finishing something else. That’s the difference between knives and Airguns. AND ... here’s another significant related factor ... “pain fatigue”. A 3-4 day project doesn’t bring out the fatigue factor nearly as much as a 3-4 week sustained project. Once the neck, back, wrist, plus combo kicks in, it slows everything way down and life becomes quite painful. You don’t see it from there. You may sense it if you know me.

My life allows my work. And so I explain why you see knives and not many/any Airguns. BUT, if you saw a regular flow of background knives marked sold, then the background issue would be solved. Every piece finds it’s home, but it’s your desires which determine the rate of flow. And so, I SURVEY, to try to establish your tastes. What would provide that regular pattern?

When I ask for a clarification regarding a person’s shared opinion, please don’t see it as anything except my desire for clarification. The helpful information comes through understanding the shared information. Please come back with more detail. I’m not finding fault. I’m sorting details.

Thank you all very very much. I hope others will join in. This is a good set of examples. We have a Work/Daily Carry Knife in the Base Camp Slip Joint. We have an upper end Daily Carry/Collectible in the October Diamond 97A. Then we have a Collectible in the 1980 Damascus Study Blade/Mammoth 97A. They cover much of the spectrum. You know well about my Relief Carved Knives (bolsters and/or scales). Please express what appeals. What features for what cost. I work for about 25% of my work in the 80’s. There are available differences in features yielding the final dollar. There is no wiggle room with cost/features.

Thanks very very much,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2019 04:11PM by barnespneumatic.
October 05, 2019 04:28PM
I really like the Auto function with the 97A. Being able to open a knife with one hand makes it easier to use. Having said that, I don't own one.
As far as the Anodized bolsters , that will have to come back to personal interest. I like both the example you have shown, but if I had to pick one I would take the brown bolster knife.

Bob
October 05, 2019 07:46PM
Thanks Bob,

Do you think the smaller colorful anodize knife may look good as just an all brown knife? One reason I went with pattern was because it was designed as an one piece solid frame/handle. I was considering making it interesting.

I really appreciate your offered opinions. Thanks

Gary
Re: SURVEY typing target plane WITH SURVEY EXTENSION bowing -- Far East
October 05, 2019 05:14PM
SURVEY EXTENSION PLEASE

(Also put pics above and with this link [www.airgunrendezvous.com]

Questions:

So far .... responses have centered upon a BASE LINE of daily carry knives. Knives in pockets with lint, grit, keys, and coins. Knives for chore usage. Knives subject to possible loss. Therefore; Question - Why do I still have this knife? A functional pocket sized “Base Camp” Model. Born for rough use. With a Natural Brown handle you can’t damage. And for experienced handmade work - $350 ain’t bad (especially with a Prototype Logo). It’s not a $10 import, but when a nice CASE folder in small/medium size costs $100-150 in a Hardware store ... again, the Base Camp compares well. Another thought. The 9” Damascus and Mammoth crosses my mind as too long for pocket carry. With its Damascus pre MS Damascus blade I had seen it as more of a collectible. To flesh out that thought, it seems to me a knife to suit the parameters listed for daily carry, use, and subject to wear and tear .... then that design is not attractive enough for purchase. And a collectible knife that’s attractive ... usually won’t suit the list for daily carry. Thoughts?

There’s no intent to debate here. I’m just hoping to collect opinions and reasons for choices. Many Thanks.

Best,
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 05:38PM by barnespneumatic.
October 07, 2019 06:58PM
Gary,
For me the best carry knife i bought would have to be the all Brass knife. I have carried & used it since purchased itr with no wear showing. The only way it could have been better was if it was an Auto open version.
As for the Anozided knives, i also preferred the deep brown over the multicolor. But then i have always preferred muted colors.
My .02 cents worth.

Rick
October 08, 2019 12:00AM
Excellent! Thanks Rick!

9A036239-0BE8-4F23-B747-96024EDC5742.jpeg

Really glad you have liked it.

Gary
October 09, 2019 06:55PM
Gary :

I really like the automatic feature of the 97A. As for the anodized feature, the examples above look good to me and make a tough finish. Sometimes though they can get a little crazy. My main preference for handle material are natural, bone, antler, etc.

Warm Regards,

Karl
October 10, 2019 02:21AM
Thank you Karl,

Great Info. and the reasons for the preferences. That’s helpful.

Much Appreciated
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021