Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SOLD SOLD SOLD bowing -- Far East GEAR HEAD FLIPPER. nowthatIthink. VIDEO, MANY STILLS ... SALE SALE SALE bullhorn

SOLD SOLD SOLD bowing -- Far East GEAR HEAD FLIPPER. nowthatIthink. VIDEO, MANY STILLS ... SALE SALE SALE bullhorn
January 02, 2020 09:06PM
[m.youtube.com]

Take a look. I’ll be back. I’m processing pics.

Enjoy. Thank You,
Gary

SOLD SOLD SOLD. Thank you!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 12:20PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: GEAR HEAD FLIPPER. nowthatIthink
January 02, 2020 09:56PM
FOR SALE $795 and $20 for Uncle Sam’s Truck

I’ll be back with measurements but I’m gonna say 7 1/2” open.

You get BOTH SCALES, and of course you could have others made too.

PLEASE DROP YOUR MARKER HERE, to get a time stamp

ENJOY THE PICS!!!

Gary

527262C4-CE97-43C5-B946-044ED5493B36.jpeg
AA0A2B0F-A665-45CE-8C77-7020D7E5D6A9.jpeg
00D91ACA-6A0C-4373-8C23-4C1A567FAED0.jpeg
6C829F78-6BE6-40E6-8B42-B663B21AA35E.jpeg
27E8FE0A-23B3-45A4-A2E0-B2CC1C44C976.jpeg
DE0B5F96-442F-4987-B4F8-93DB9F79F35D.jpeg
1037CAA4-80EE-4E9D-98BF-129FEFDEBE96.jpeg
Re: bullhorn GEAR HEAD FLIPPER. nowthatIthink. VIDEO, MANY STILLS ... SALE SALE SALE bullhorn
January 04, 2020 03:32PM
Sweet looking knife, and what a good idea! My main complaint with the “flipper“ style of opener is that the flipper part is always poking you when you carry it in your pocket. This design should eliminate that concern. Beautiful workmanship, as always.
Re: bullhorn GEAR HEAD FLIPPER. nowthatIthink. VIDEO, MANY STILLS ... SALE SALE SALE bullhorn
January 07, 2020 12:08AM
"the flipper part is always poking you when you carry it in your pocket. "

Without a clip?

Lon
January 09, 2020 05:58PM
I’ve lost three pocket knives through the use of the pocket clip. They snag on a car seat belt, a jacket, or some other obstruction and lift themselves out of my pocket without my noticing. A belt holster works and I do sometimes use want to carry a multi tool, but it is far less convenient than just dropping one in your pocket. So far every one I’ve lost has been under 100 bucks, but it would be a real shame to do this with a nice custom piece.
January 10, 2020 12:15AM
I know Sean,

I constantly hear people tell me why they could never own one of my knives. For thirty years, I refused to put a clip on one of my fine knives. I finally wore down. When I did, I then heard stories such as you just recounted.

Those who want to just toss a knife in with their keys and coins hope I’ll tell them it won’t be scratched. Hope I’ll say it won’t fall out or dig a hole thru a pocket lining.

The fool proof thing is a belt sheath. I’ve made many many many. But anymore, folks seem to have a distain for the object which will do what they require and desire. Just don’t like them anymore.

And since the Commercial houses have copied everything the custom makers designed in the 80’s ... people just want to buy $20 knives. Thing is, custom knives used to be different from Sporting shop knives. But now, the desired knife (custom or commercial) is made from water jet or laser cut parts. It’s flat. It probably has black scales. Maybe sand blasted frame/scales/blade. In other words, the commercial and custom are very much alike. And that’s what people want. But, if your clients are prone to be Fans, then a custom group of guys or a custom maker can drive up their favorite maker’s prices. The knife will still look much like commercial. Maybe exactly like it, but it has a following. That’s how you get the head shaking objects and prices of things like $800 water jet cut out bottle cap lifters.

Anybody who has read this forum during the last ten years has seen that my buyers are mostly private. And I find that if I make simple designs, my buyers will not buy them. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried, only to later tear the knife down and upgrade it. I’d love to make some jeans pocket knives. But I can’t make $20 knives and people won’t wear a belt sheath. So I make “collectibles” which don’t get carried.

So much is determined by the customer and their habits. I have to follow along. I try to meet the desires of buyers. Try to use my skills to make interesting items.

Gary
January 10, 2020 04:56PM
There is no way a one-man shop can compete with an entire factory full of CNC machines. Even if you were so inclined, The difference between labor cost overseas and what your time is worth would make this a losing game
January 10, 2020 10:58PM
Hello Sean,

Yes. Agreed. That is very true.

What’s changed, and maybe I didn’t explain well: The oddity (as I view it), is this. What’s being called “Custom” and what’s being called “Commercial”, is basically the same thing ... made with similar equipment. The parts are laser or water cut. The factory’s machine or a jobber shop filling short orders for “handmade knife parts” ... same machines. Same look.

The design .... many are Frame Lock. Use the same internal commercial parts of bearings and shins and bushings and screws. You see the picture.

The shop like mine has hardly ever made the same thing twice. Carved stuff. Etched, engraved, etc. Now, take into account you can buy truckloads of Damascus anywhere. Look at the kitchen sets of 6 Damascus knives. 10” Butcher knife, bread knife, cleaver, boning knife, etc, ... all six in a leather roll. Whole thing from Middle East for $200. Wow, did you feel that sucking rush of wind as the room cleared out? No hurry ... about 9/10 people abroad are making them.

So; if a simple design is in. And nobody cares who makes them ... then art in knives has taken a real giant hit. Hope you haven’t spent 46 years building a reputation there.

But if you like “Unique Handmade Knives ... where the Smith made the steel, designed, cut, files, ground, polished, etched, engraved, and handmade the handmade parts of his handmade knives ... well that’s still unique.

Honestly though ... do some research and you find people are leasing cars, renting homes, many don’t even get their driver’s license. They’d rather go DO SOMETHING than to buy something. Really. Read. Listen. Research. It’s a new world.

Meanwhile, if you care to ... pray for this old guy. I have a couple new trails into my medical issues. New Doctor. Some new programs that may help. They have a theory that they are checking. Could explain a lotbest
Gary
January 11, 2020 01:24AM
Hope it works out, dealing with medical issues is frustrating and incredibly time consuming
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021