Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bad dude. Now THIS is interesting. boing

bad dude. Now THIS is interesting. boing
February 12, 2020 01:27PM
Yesterday we drove all day so that I could get 9 Injections in my back and wrists. The purpose was to turn down the pain so that I might continue to work.

I saw this in the morning’s news. Here is what the world’s art minded people value.

DE139330-FCD4-458A-AC0A-2B8410B93807.jpeg

And then, Social Media and the Radio DJ’s are busy discussing this: “Standing Broom Challenge”.

BD1511AE-BE7A-428A-8628-B880D51B85C5.jpeg

Just observing; as I practice the art forms I’ve studied ... getting near the five decade mark now. You know, those skills the world valued during its previous five thousand years or so.

Interesting.

Gary
Re: bad dude. Now THIS is interesting. boing
February 12, 2020 04:14PM
That’s crazy
I heard a banana duct taped to the wall sold for $100000 ! Or something like that .
Ya just never know. I’m not even sure HOW it could be called art

Thanks
Kurt
February 13, 2020 01:07AM
Hi Kurt,

Well, we know that it’s all MARKETING. By an Agent, Investors, or Groups if same. I’ve always known that I get in trouble when I think readers are interested in what’s behind the steel chips and sawdust. Experience has proven me wrong, but still; I can’t help wanting to make this site and myself to be more than a vending machine. Consider Kurt, my Friend; I’ve worked a lifetime self employed. Satisfying thousands of customers and missed with a few. Did you know that I had a side business from 74-79 making carved wooden signs,

1CE1DD03-E426-42CC-B29A-3B0B5607F9CF.jpeg

Not just a sign with a date on it ... I was set up at a Craft Show with my tools, and a selection of Furniture on July 4, 1976. I carved this sign to kick off demonstrating to the Festival Visitors. (Sign was damaged in 1980 House Fire where upper floor debris fell into the shop below). I made hundreds. Some accent painted.

During those years, I also made many hundreds of picture frames. Wooden toys by the wheelbarrow full. I worked all through the “Craft Show and Craft Shop” Frenzy of the early 70’s. Yeah, that was me! This was as I was beginning to make more and more knives. But, sorry, I digress.

By 2020, the world has managed to drastically alter being a craftsman. You know how in the 1920s-50; people saw “handmade” as substandard to store bought? Grandfathers made handmade stuff. Folks wanted that “Modern” Molded Black Bakelite Rocket Ship Radio ... not that wooden inlaid relic. The Cuco Clock went to the attic. In came the stainless steel Star Shaped battery Clock with steel rod accents radiating outward! You get the drift. Give me that Gold Accent Red Naugahyde and Black Steel chair, and take that old Carved Oak Lion and Leather abomination of Grand dads!

Well, I think we’re back in many ways: Make it so we don’t have to talk ... I’m not looking for a friend ... just how much is it? Give me a button to push. My Uber is almost here. And I’ve already told you that people consider “handmade” to “also legitimately be assembled jobber shop items, or items from any modern shop that has managed to acquire an hour on a water-jet or laser”. CNC is ubiquitous. It’s amazing tech. I just don’t think in terms of years of identical copies of “Handmade”. The kiss of death to an Artist. Repetition - oh no!!!

Now you need not tell me that you “Can” just make a “one-off” with CNC/LASER ... cause I see the utube channels and the Facebook channels. But I see vids where makers are saying some version of - “I made these 30 over the weekend”. And the only difference in them is a different color handle stock. And they say, I just got these six back from the sheath maker. Good for them too - cause sheaths never pay a dime. Now, I don’t think that somehow I’m more “pure” then they are. But since I really do all the parts, I should get the gold star. Ha. It really should be unarguable that one guy who is making all the operations on an endless variety of designs ... should have unique curiosity. But sooooooo much has changed.

That’s not grousing from an old timer. It’s amazement that people’s satisfaction level is set so low anymore. You get a product just like a hundred or a thousand others. It has Henry Ford’s Color palette. No engraving, carving, inlay, or anything. So the journeyman course to make it was about six weeks long. But then, someone like me just annoys people who want to be satisfied with the quick, affordable piece. Still ... something draws them back. What’s he doing now? “Ok, yeah you are wonderful ... work is beautiful, excellent, marvelous ... have told you a dozen times.” But what’s not realized is that it’s not some crazy thing for a friend to repeat (if true) that they appreciate another friend’s work. Guitar playing. The Car they painted ... even if they’ve done ten since you knew him. The landscaping job. The wood turning pen the guy at Church made. The painting. The amazing French Apple Cake. It doesn’t steal your soul to just be sociable. But it’s gotten that way. People just watch in silence. And the guys that have taken time to post, soon just don’t bother anymore, and go away. Leaving Gary to fill the silence. Of course it’s discouraging.

Man, nobody is more aware then me that ya’ll are sick to death of me having sickness and disabilities. But man, I just painfully drove 3 1/2 hours each way, to get nine injections. You don’t do that unless you hurt like blazes and need relief. Which means I’ve been working for months and months in pain that would stop a charging Bull. But ..... gee, that’s tough. Heard it before. Click. Sorry it wasn’t a thread about a collectible artifact, but it’s the real life behind the thousands of items you have seen previously.

People have to be here and read, before they can quietly leave.The numbers record the reads. I don’t call people and bother them as to why they haven’t come to my site. I’m glad people read to satisfy a curiosity. I just can’t believe saying “hi”, “nice job”, “feel better”, “happy birthday”, is such a load to carry.

Well, this was another one of those “behind the steel chips” moments. Good or bad ... some day a writer won’t have to make up what I was like. What kind of person made all this stuff? Was he just an old PIA? That’s for you to decide on your side of the glass. Thing is, if you are referencing any Artist, they were ALL PIA’s. But look what they left for you to enjoy.

8pm. Time for dinner here.

God Bless
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2020 01:15PM by barnespneumatic.
February 13, 2020 11:59AM
Hi Kurt,

I am running a special on bananas this week. Just $1,000 per. I rerolled some of the duct tape the Elves used to tape me to the wall during the BPS Christmas party. Therefore the Artwork has a special connection to BPS.

I expect these will go fast. Have your people call my people.

Gary
February 16, 2020 12:20PM
I only like the green bananas with a little yellow is good too .
Mmmm $1000 haha must be a whole bunch ! Yuk yuk (bullhorn pun intended)

Thanks
Kurt
February 17, 2020 01:04PM
Thanks Kurt,

Friend explained to me that bananas ripen to the stage you prefer, for about one hour around 2am.

I believe her. If you sit on a kitchen stool and watch, you may occasionally catch one.

Haha

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021