Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hey Lon. Another Blade Ground ... Same Belt

Hey Lon. Another Blade Ground ... Same Belt
May 10, 2020 08:59PM
Yes ... both sides. This is after grinding.

404F2AD2-6EA5-4199-8A55-7EA500131274.jpeg

Neat huh?

Gary
Re: Hey Lon. Another Blade Ground ... Same Belt
May 12, 2020 12:27AM
Gary,

Very nice. The belt looks like you just took it out of the package.

Again, I'm really liking the Wharncliffe shape lately too.

I have a sharpening kit that clamps the blade at various angles. I just added some finer stones and will practice on some $15 dollar knives. While getting "Internet tips" on sharpening I've become an Internet expert on blade angle and Rockwell testing. Knowing all these things is necessary for people who lack skill and experience.scholarHelp! I've always struggled to get a great edge on a knife consistently.

I forgot about the differential hardening. On the Internet they just call out a hardness and leave it at that.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 12:29AM by Bigbore.
May 12, 2020 12:50PM
Hi Lon,

Good Post. Hah - God Save us from “Internet Experts”. Hahahaa. Yes Sir, they call out “Rockwell 62!”, and the crowd murmurs appreciatively. A couple are overcome with the knowledge they carry, and Slump onto their keyboards in a faint. Ha.

Lon, the best tip I can give is to use a fine stone. Clean it with a paper towel and WD40. Then coat the stone with WD40. Present the edge as if you were shaving the stone. Take a stroke away from you. Then turn over, and carefully shave back.

Be back ...
May 13, 2020 12:46AM
Gary,

Finer stones, 800 & 1000 + a leather strop are what I added to my set.

Lon
May 13, 2020 01:05PM
That’s good Lon.

Most times, for a touch up, you can just start with your 1,000 grit ... or even your Strop (with some white compound rubbed onto it). If there is a common mistake, it’s in removing a bunch of steel with every sharpening. There’s no need to waste your blade. Only takes a little attention most times.

To finish what I was saying yesterday; treat the stones as if you were trying to take a fine “Slice” of the top. Do this each side of the blade. And most will stop there. If you want more, then strop the blade. I like mounting about 10” of leather on wood the same width as the leather (around 2”). Make the wood with a stub handle about 3-4” long. Rub the leather with buffing compound. This is called “Charging” the leather. Eventually it will develop a glazed look. To use; you drag the blade backwards - like you are buttering your bread. This polishes the edge. Keep
Your angle flat. Almost laying on the leather. Don’t stand it up very much, or you will wipe your edge off.

Enjoy your sharp Blade!

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021