Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

.308 Air Rifle Build Continues....

.308 Air Rifle Build Continues....
May 14, 2020 03:55AM
Last couple of weeks I have been itching to get back into airguns. Last year was a write off due to my wife dealing with cancer. Went back to look at some pictures of this project and cannot believe I started back in February 2016. Crazy how time keeps ticking away.

Recently I was able to use a coworkers lathe to add an extension to the tubing. The barrel came in longer than anticipated so I wanted to keep the extra six inches for velocity. I got a few 4-5 foot lengths of African mahogany from work. Used it all over and thought why not use it for a temporary stock. Walnut is not cheap so why not prototype with what I have on hand. FYI the white stuff on the cocking arm is nylon. Scraps from work, strong stuff but will make from steel when I get the chance.

DC3758BB-47CB-4580-BBA3-7A1AB7105A31.jpeg

2532481C-AEEB-4E23-8854-C81799B082AF.jpeg

Still have much to do but eager to get the barrel spacers mounted to the tube. The extension I made is all threaded and the end cap acts also as a stop to keep the barrel from launching out when fired. Mounting the barrels spacers will keep the tube from rotation. Hoping to do that Thursday, Friday as I am on work-share. 3 days a week at work and 2 at home. Beats unemployment!

If I can fire the gun this weekend I will try to get some pics!

Thanks for reading,

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 04:12AM by pedrog.
Re: .308 Air Rifle Build Continues....
May 14, 2020 12:40PM
That’s neat Pedro. That’s gonna make a Sweet little Carbine! Wink.

I’ll bet you get some impressive velocity.

Enjoy
Gary
June 03, 2020 02:00AM
Hi Gary,

First chrony was 776 FPS with 101 grain bishop. Of course the valve dumped so will get past that (yet).

Stay safe and well.

Pedro
May 15, 2020 01:06AM
Pedro,

Great to see you can relax a little and get back to an enjoyable hobby. The last three years have presented me will some trials too and have sped by as well. Strangely enough I've been finding rimfire scratches my trigger finger lately and dusted off the Ruger 10/22's. It will pass and I'll rotate back into air guns again as I always have.

That long barrel was the first thing I noticed but they are not uncommon on big bore air rifles. I'll follow along.

Lon
May 15, 2020 12:05PM
Bigbore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pedro,
> ......
> Strangely enough I've been finding
> rimfire scratches my trigger finger lately
>
> Lon

I’ve heard powder burners will leave you with a nasty rash Lon. ;?)
Best to remain pure as AIR. As God intended.

Wink
Gary
June 03, 2020 01:59AM
Thanks Lon for your comments.

We all have our trials, some just more than others. Mine are just starting again...

Pedro
May 16, 2020 12:53PM
Pedro
Nice work there . So many times I start projects and never get back to them. I sure hope your getting to do some testing soon . Are you able to fire at your home ? It sure makes things easier. It’s finally a little warmer here to get outside but so many MUST DO projects.

Your definitely one of the lucky ones still working. I can’t imagine having to go the unemployment routine at this stage of my life . I’ve gotta think it’s been 30-35 years since I’ve had to apply for benefits. Our shop is still working one shift and our Ironworkers just went back to work on large projects started last year .
pushingarock
Stay healthy my friend!

Thanks
Kurt
June 03, 2020 01:58AM
HI Kurt,

Thanks for the comments. I can still work but its down to 3 days a week and the balance is a program called "work share".

I was able to test the .308 the other weekend but he valve dumps all the air so needs refinement. I cannot test a lot as I live in town. Technically illegal to discharge a rifle, pellet gun, even paintball gun according to our bylaw.

Thankfully a church friend is allowing me to shoot on his 160 acres, 10 minute drive in place of 30 minute drive one way to the national park.

Appreciate the comment, sorry took so long to reply. My latest post will explain why.

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021