Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hi Guys. Recently around the place. dig it

Hi Guys. Recently around the place. dig it
May 19, 2021 01:44PM
After getting better adjusted to my Diabetes regiment and med, I’ve started to feel a bit better. Still fighting the Brain Fog, so I’ve worked on a couple much needed maintenance projects.

Our property is terraced in front of the house. And a storm a while back just nailed us with water. It saturated the ground, put pressure on a weak post, snapped it off, and created a “land sag” thru the wall with the retaining wall treated lumber all broken off at adjoining posts.

When I viewed the property, I studied these retaining walls and terraces. I put faith in the treated 6 by 6 treated posts on short terraces, and 8 by 8 posts on the taller ones. The wall panels are actually full 2” by 12” sawn treated lumber. Some stout stuff. And the posts are thru bolted with hot dipped galvanized all thread 10’ rods which go back under the ground to buried cement anchors called “dead men”. Wow.

Now ... bring “Florida” into the equation. Anything “wood” rots while you watch. And some of this structure has cooked itself from the inside out. Some dressed lumber 2 by 12s, have turned to “cake”. Have you priced a 2 by 12 by 12 treated plank lately? It’s $75. A 6 by 6 by 12 treated post is $75.

This “breakthrough” damage happened ... out back??? Where it could be ignored? Nope. It happened right up to our front steps. Perfect ...

And so I’ve been working as able, to tear the mess out and rebuild. The posts that rotted off??? ... set in about 30” of concrete each.

This is my vacation this year..... and I can’t wait to get “back to work”.

Thanks for reading.
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2021 01:44PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021