Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SOLD SOLD bullhorn The Grand Pap (Grand Dad) Series! Classic Americana. wow

SOLD SOLD bullhorn The Grand Pap (Grand Dad) Series! Classic Americana. wow
January 22, 2022 03:43AM
NOW SOLD

The Classic Barlow. It’s as necessary as the crust on an Apple Pie! They’ve just always been there. In the pocket of everyone from the Farmer to the Forest Ranger. Such a friendly and happy thing to lay eye and hand on.

I have many many ideas for my Barlows. From Weekday to Sunday. From opening a package to working on the truck. I’ll have all types and prices.

We start here with Grandpap’s Sunday Barlow, after it was passed to his Grandson ... who grew up ... and treasures it. He keeps it oiled and sharp with its Carbon Steel Blade. He can’t take out the flecks and scars. He wouldn’t if he could. Grand Pap loved that Spine File Art, and the Fluted Bolsters. That’s “Bone Stag” that Barnes Carved and Dyed. Feels great to the hand. Looks just right. Nickel Liners and Brass bolsters. Beautiful smooth action. Put yourself in the story for $685 and $8 Priority Shipping.

This one is the Prototype. 6 1/8” Open.

It would be very much appreciated. We use PayPal too. Just ask and I’ll get you the needed info. That would be helpful.

God Bless
Gary

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2022 09:43PM by barnespneumatic.
F017FFB4-68E6-4754-B1A2-2C4B660B073F.jpeg
E56E8D2F-21F0-45C9-A731-4D7463D9C2DF.jpeg
6536DAE6-E68B-4600-8ADF-BA28B9335627.jpeg
72BAE0A9-F0E9-43E6-AE9F-EB51A17B45A1.jpeg
4ABB62ED-69DC-4FF6-80CA-165FE3818CF5.jpeg
Re: FOR SALE bullhorn The Grand Pap Series! Classic Americana. wow
January 22, 2022 04:43PM
The knife needs to be ASSEMBLED. This type is hand riveted together. The parts get a final polish and I engrave my logo on the blade.

Final polish will give the “bone Stag” a warm glow. And enhance contrast on the spine. I have to cut the “choil” at the rear end of the edge. Have to sharpen the blade.

Once I get to this 95% point in a build, the knife (in pictures) looks finished. I like to show it then in case a perspective buyer wants a small alteration. For example, this blade could be ground clean (if someone doesn’t like the antiqued appearance). That’s precise work and would need a small charge.

You have my experience to tell you this knife has a sweet action. Smooth and crisp. Not heavy sprung. Just right.

I hope you can appreciate the Barlow design. It’s a fact that the market moves as a herd. Something becomes popular and “everybody” carries “only” that design. The Barlow has been here thru a dozen popular designs. When men really used their knives, a lot; the Barlow was in their pocket. I’m of the opinion that you don’t have to sweep clean everything before, in order to bring on new. You make an heirloom by keeping something. Wink

Best,
Gary
January 22, 2022 11:53PM
Ok. I’ll start. nowthatIthink

1). Have you seen Barlow Folders before? If so; have you carried and used one?
2). Have you seen “Bone Stag” before? This was popular on pre-WW2 folders. One of the patterns of “Jigged Bone”, it requires a “KNACK” to pull it off. I’ve seen THE most awful Camel Bone butchered up poorly jigged and also dyed awful colors ... ohhoooohwww! You can probably tell - don’t like that. Now I’ve liked the stuff from 35 years ago. It was , neat, tight, and with rich colors. But I saw it replaced with awful new stuff ... so I’ve developed this. It takes time, skill, and a good dust mask.
3). Have you seen Fluted Bolsters before? An older ENGLISH technique. Takes time and care.
4). I know you’ve seen file art. Whatcha think?
5). Do you like the blade finish. That gives you the good characteristics of a Carbon Steel Blade without worrying if it turns a bit grey from cutting a grape or ... etc. And it goes with the theme. Gosh, half the new knives on Knife Sale sites look like they were dragged around the World under a truck. Intentional distress. This isn’t the random attack with a 4” grinder ... it’s an accelerated and stabilized natural progression.

K ... your turn. You don’t have to buy to play. Common - talk to me.

I see people stopping by. That’s good. I want to see some comments please. Remember ... Knife is incomplete. Done cause it was 11pm and cause somebody might want a change. I hate drilling out rivets. Smile.

Best,
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2022 01:12PM by barnespneumatic.
January 24, 2022 01:43AM
HI Gary,
The Barlow is a striking and useful design that would be perfect for everyday carry. One feature that I find very practical and helpful is a mechanism to perform a one handed opening. I have used one of your folders with a thumb stud as a daily companion till I had narrowed the blade with my overzealous sharpening. I then fitted a thumb stud to another of your knives and used it while building a kayak or two. Alas the knife blade was not the ideal shape for my every day needs and stayed in my wood working apron for that use. This blade looks like it would be a much better fit for an everyday user. Your thoughts?

IMG_2768.jpeg

Kent
January 24, 2022 03:28AM
Hi Kent,

Having coffee break in shop. Glad I saw you.

The Barlow has your straight edge and includes a rounded tip. I haven’t established that roll yet. Could be barely there or more significant. User choice. I really like “Mac” for my daily Carry. But he has a longer more slim tip.

Pics:

1). Mac ... my 97
2). The Barlow raw tempered blade before I’ve established the edge
3). What I was going to do
4). A handy Chisel Point
5). Not there .... more rounded.

Your flip opener would fit this. You know the possibilities. This is neat though. I like my Stag. I like the Antiqued Blade. The filework and fluting are nice. And if it doesn’t suit you, I’ll swap it.
836E9C8E-C99D-4B1D-A785-845A6BE88B55.jpeg
3A35AF67-1463-42FC-9C06-D4456AC856B6.jpeg
377AB3F1-D18D-4654-9885-8A9D123B5655.jpeg
1EA8ED20-48C3-4C86-98EB-FE570881F7EF.jpeg
539817B9-3CB5-4137-8A64-BEE723E876BD.jpeg
1A1C5C0A-ABCE-46AC-BED0-E4C413636C74.jpeg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021