Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

87 Tundra Smoothy - Range

87 Tundra Smoothy - Range
August 14, 2009 01:27AM
Tundra 004.JPG

The Tundra 87 Smoothy was ready to go back to the range today. I had it's new slugs (cast from the new mold in soft lead). I'd also prepared a "Bull Clamp" to better handle the considerable power it makes.

Tundra 001.JPG

The 87 slug, in pure lead, weighs in at approx. 923 grains. The Tundra fires that, in it's current tune, at 603 fps.

Tundra 006.JPG

That makes for a very healthy energy rating of 745 foot pounds. eye popping smiley

Tundra 010.JPG

I started at 40 yards. Note shots 1 and 2 were a double.

Tundra 014.JPG

I snapped a pic of the clean Dragon I drew for the next test. If you want to print up some dragons for targets, there ya go! take a bow

Tundra 016.JPG

I put the Dragon target on the bullet trap at 51 yards. Here's a group of 3 of the 923 grain slugs, fired at about 750 fpe.

Tundra 020.JPG

The slugs tore the poster board on the cardboard backer. I had some 87 slug bases from inside the bullet trap. Based upon the overlapping lead smears, here's the way the slugs stacked up on the target @ 51 yards. Not too shabby for a SMOOTH bore airgun shooting monster weight slugs at huge energy.

Tundra 022.JPG

The back of the bullet trap took a pounding! eye popping smiley

Tundra 024.JPG

I posted a target at 76 yards and shot this one and only group. Shot one was high. Shot 2 and 3 overlapped.

Tundra 027.JPG

Today's set up.

Tundra 025.JPG

Not having a fridge in the War Wagon (yet), I had to post my targets on the wall. thumbs up

Tundra 019.JPG

The bullet trap is made to collect the shattered lead underneath. Well worth the effort when each slug is 923 grains! We'll remelt them, and they will fly again!

Tundra 011.JPG

Shattered lead, ready for the casting pot.

Good range session. The gun really shoots well. Very accurate. Very clean firing cycle now. With the tuning notes gained on this one, I'll tune up the Justice now and get that ready for the range! The actions are similar. The few things that vexed me Saturday are all cleaned up now ... and I'll make similar finishing touches to the Justice.

Gary coffee
Re: 87 Tundra Smoothy - Range
August 14, 2009 04:59AM
WOW! The Tundra .87 is very impressive. It's brute power coupled with its accuracy and huge slug make it a true Dragon Slayer! This is no doubt, a bigbore for taking down the largest of games!

Very nice gun Gary, even though it's not done yet.
August 14, 2009 10:59AM
Oh yeah! I love the big ones. cooler That's a lot of lead.

Good to see you opted for a "mild" power range of 745 fpe. wink Still cool to see a smoothy group like that at 70+ yards.

Bull clamp . . . is that a beefed-up barrel clamp?

Any lever assist on this one? My puny software arms have a hard time with the cocking effort.

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2009 11:04AM by Jim.
August 14, 2009 07:36PM
Yeah Jim,

Lever cocking? You need the version with a USB port. You can access the cocking preferences thru the control panel on your laptop. take a bow I'm working on an implanted chip, where you'd just "think" about cocking the gun, and it would comply. However; I can't reach the first three test subjects which were implanted last Wednesday. more confused Our test program is very "subject oriented" though. I'll give you the url that explains it ... grinning smiley

Gary
August 14, 2009 06:02PM
Wow It is hard to believe it did that much damage to your bullet trap Gary. And that is the first time I have seen one of your stocks showing the air pressure tube. It looks good that way. Nice groups Gary.
August 14, 2009 07:27PM
Hi Kenneth,

Yeah - I've done a few of the Tundra's that way. Gives it a very "serious" look. The stock is all "blocky" now. I'll slim it out and make it flow.

It is a beast. That's thick steel, and those were very good welds. I didn't weld it completely across the seams, because I didn't think it was required. Well ... eye popping smiley ... it is now, after some hammer work. haha.

Gary
August 15, 2009 09:04AM
That's a gun I like VERY, VERY much.

Excuse me, but how in earth could I buy it? wink

And although it's not ready, I like its aesthetics (bit same as race car's rough beaty of approrpiateness).
August 15, 2009 03:26PM
Glad you like it. It is a beast.

Yeah - it has that sort of "Apocalypse" finish ....

Gary
August 15, 2009 04:48PM
I believe at the range I referred to the finish as "Newark." laughing again

-- Jim
August 15, 2009 08:22AM
SWEET!

The stock reminds me of the "nebula" rifle from the wayback machine, kinda "buck rodgers" style.

You're gonna have to gin up one of those "snail type" bullet trap if you keep this up. They make the slugs spin round and round inside to dissipate the energy gradually instead of just taking it out in one big bang. Savage makes them, though I don't know if any of their models are portable enough for the War Wagon.
August 15, 2009 08:47AM
Sheesh!!!! I don't know where to start....smooth bore and great accuracy....923 grain slugsscared that's massive! 745 fpe?? Did you have elephants in mind, Gary? wink
I'm thinking this gun is a conspiracy to keep Jerry in business casting monster slugs and sending them 1 per truck to eager customerslaughing again
My 50 cal is now looking like a midgetsmiling bouncing smiley
Cheers
Neil
August 15, 2009 03:20PM
50 caliber!!! laughing again FIFTY caliber??? rolling happy smiley Stop, STOP!!! crying You're killin' me .... grinning smiley

Gary
August 15, 2009 08:20PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 50 caliber!!! laughing again FIFTY caliber??? rolling happy smiley
> Stop, STOP!!! crying You're killin' me .... grinning smiley
>
> Gary

OK, OK, I get the point...I mean, I missed the pointknucklehead....well, you know what I mean..nerd

Neilgoogle eyes
August 15, 2009 03:16PM
Hi Sean,

This "IS" a snail trap design. However; I've made it so it will accept shots over the entire face of the trap - instead of just at the top of a scroll. Those slugs were deflected before they slammed into the back of the scroll. Right ... I know ... not a pure scroll - but I needed it portable and wanted the entire front to accept shots.

Gary
August 15, 2009 06:46PM
Power shmower, I just think the gun looks COOL! thumbs up

Who wants power anyway?winking smiley
August 16, 2009 05:38AM
Hmmm...snail traps not quite up to the task...maybe you can just set out some spare cans of stale beer and hope they fall into them and drown like the slugs in my strawberries. tongue sticking out smiley

I guess you're gonna have to just plan on re-welding it every time you beat it up at the range. Either that, or figure some way to get a nice, continuous spiral out of 3/8 sheet with no welds, Oh, and at maybe face hardened so it'll stand up to some wear and tear. And be light enough to be portable. And....

Makes you wonder if that farmer will let you park a 55 gallon drum of duct-seal out in the back forty and just leave it there.Then you just have to bring along a shovel and a tamper to pack it all back in after you're done for the day. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021