Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pics from Range Session - 45 Caliber

Pics from Range Session - 45 Caliber
January 08, 2009 08:48PM
I continue to provide support for the guns that are in the field. For some time, I've needed a 45-08 Bishop slug. I'd ammended the tooling for the previous 45 series, but needed a fresh cutter for this slug. I just completed it, and a test mold.

Bishop1.jpg

Great start. For this testing, I was shooting it just under 800 fps for the 300.1 grain slug.

Bishop2.jpg

I shoot a bunch of these ... as with the first ... two close and one away. Here's about a 1" group at 50 yards.

Bishop4.jpg

This is approx. a MOA group (or 1/2" at 50 yards). This is a bit over.

Bishop10.jpg

Then .... you shoot one of these! Rub your eyes, and walk up to the backer.

Bishop7.jpg

Three shots @ 50 yards! Wow. Did I do that? more confused

Bishop6.jpg

Measure the total width ...

Bishop5.jpg

and subtract the slug's diameter .... .197" Center to Center. That's well under 1/2 MOA. take a bow

Bishop8.jpg

So ... I figured I just might try this ... edge shot at 50 yards.

Bishop9.jpg

And ... I hit it! The card was just a bit off perfectly straight with the bench.

I'm quite pleased with the new slug, and feel good about the tooling. (The gun isn't too bad either ... fudd

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 09:23PM by barnespneumatic.
Anonymous User
Re: Pics from Range Session - 45 Caliber
January 08, 2009 09:46PM
That's a dandy , all were plenty good enough for snake doctor hunting, but that one was keeper for sure. Good read and pics thanks for posting it.
January 08, 2009 11:26PM
Gary,

Now I want some of those. Are they .465 or .464? Shooting the card would make a great movie.

Keith
January 09, 2009 12:27AM
Hello Keith,

I wanted to explore the .465" and I needed the new cutter to do so. Slugging the barrel gave me a target window, but only the range will say what is correct. This slug is great @ .465". We'll see to it that this is what you get. That does not mean that every slug design will demand the same size. Some will want to ride more shallow in the grooves.

Gary
January 14, 2009 01:32AM
Gary,

Its amazing how much effort goes into creating the proper slug for a specific rifle. It's really amazing. With modern firearms, you just pick up several boxes of ammo and see which works the best. This is on a whole different level. Makes you think of what rifle shooting was all about before the age of modern firearms when every rifle was hand made and unique. I can't wait to try the new slugs out.

Keith
January 09, 2009 01:25AM
Keith,
We have not been able to make the Bishops you ordered yet as the mold was the backside of another mold that Gary needed to keep on hand. Lucky for you eh? smileys with beer We'll get you the new Bishops as soon as we can.
January 14, 2009 01:34AM
Jerry,

No problem. I still have slugs to shoot.

Keith
January 10, 2009 04:58AM
Gary,

Nice! I've always preffered Bishops.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021