Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Checking Twist Rates - How To

Checking Twist Rates - How To
May 24, 2010 03:06PM
You guys ever check the twist rates of your barrels? Do you know how?

Put a pc. of tape around the muzzle. You'll use this in a minute. Now ... get a dowel a bit smaller than your bore. Draw a straight line the length of the dowel. You can do this by laying it flat, and using the side of a pencil lead to stroke down the top. It will remain pretty straight. Of course, you can secure the dowel to a flat surface, and use a straight edge and pencil to mark the line. Anyway you do it, get a straight line down the length of the dowel.

Now, use some tape, and stick the end of a ribbon of paper towel to the end of the dowel. Sort of like a "flag" ribbon from the side of one end of the dowel. Now wrap up the ribbon to such a thickness that it will just pinch into the muzzle of the barrel. Push it down an inch or two to get it started cleanly.

Now, of course, as you push the dowel into the barrel, it's going to turn because the paper towel wadding is embedded in the rifling and causing the attached dowel to turn "AT THE RIFLING TWIST RATE".

You want to figure out the distance you need to insert the dowel to get one complete turn. That's what the line down the dowel is for - and the pc. of tape around the muzzle that you started with. At the muzzle ... put a dot on the tape, at the point where the line on the dowel currently sets. Also draw a line across the long line on the dowel, at the muzzle. This marks the starting line of the test. Now, push the dowel down the barrel. It will turn if the paper towel wadding is correct. Push it down until the long line comes back around and lines up with the dot on the muzzle tape again. This means that the dowel has turned one complete revolution. Draw another line across the muzzle, crossing the line on the dowel. This marks where the dowel stopped it's entry into the bore, after one complete revolution. That's the finish line.

Now; pull the dowel out, and measure between the two lines you drew across the long line. That's the distance between where the dowel started it's trip down the bore, and where it stopped after one complete turn. The distance between the two lines, is your twist rate. If it's 16", then your twist rate is "One turn in 16", or 1-16. Whatever the number, that's the linear distance traveled to make one complete revolution, in your barrel.

Fun to know how, and know your rifle.

Gary
May 24, 2010 05:04PM
Aha . . . thanks Gary. Neat tip.

Of course, I could just ask you. Another idea!

-- Jim
June 01, 2010 03:35PM
Moving this up so Cedric and find it. He's most likely been "slumin" at other sites and missed it. haha. whistling

I thought this tip would be a hot topic. Guess I was wrong ... again. Nobody curious about your rig?

Gary
June 01, 2010 08:36PM
Great post Gary. I haven't put it into practice yet for lack of suitable dowel around the place, but I'm pleased the post is there as a reference.
Cheers
Neil
June 02, 2010 02:05AM
Neil,

You can always whittle down a broom stick. thumbs up

Done it many times .... Pipe smoker

Gary
June 02, 2010 04:53PM
GB,

He He, i have been slummin. Man, you know me too well...lol

But yeah, i know about checking twist rates and such. Just never really have with this gun or my DS. For some reason, i've lost a little of my TINKERING edge as of late.

I just shoot my guns and put em up until the next time i go shooting. Lost that feeling cause i've just learned to PUT THE GUN DOWN...ITS SHOOTING GOOD.....LEAVE IT ALONE....DON'T TAKE IT APART.....AGAIN!!.....lol

But yeah, my buddy is trying to see if a stock will fit on my gun and he has the JH. So when i get it, i will check the twist rate.
June 02, 2010 07:20PM
New stock! Uh oh ... it'll never shoot again! eye popping smiley haha.

winking smiley
June 05, 2010 08:31AM
I like it. Far simpler than other descriptions I've read, and it's hard to do much damage with a paper towel. grinning smiley
June 05, 2010 01:09PM
Works every time. thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021