Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Tested a bunch of .308 slugs

Tested a bunch of .308 slugs
June 19, 2010 06:10AM
A couple of weeks ago I tested some .308 slugs for penetration, expansion, muzzle velocity, energy and BC. I've finally gotten some time to write up the results.
I was shooting my DAQ Exile .308, and most of the slugs were sent to me by Bob Vogel to test (all except the long FN Lee mold slug). I posted on the accuracy of many of these recently:[www.airgunrendezvous.com]
That accuracy testing did not involve 3 of the slugs in this test, the 80RN, the 111 ribbed HP and the long flat-nosed Lee. I'll test these at 100 yards one day soon.
I used the old wet telephone book (4 of them actually) test, and was shooting at 50 yards, a likely hunting distance, with chronys at 5 yards and 49 yards. This is what my test bed looked like after the shooting was done:
Photobucket
This next shot is 2" into the books. The two non-HP slugs are cutting a very clean path through the books, while the damage caused by the HP's is already evident:
Photobucket
The long flat-nosed Lee 90366 slug penetrated a long way and ended up facing backwards:
Photobucket
Here are the recovered slugs:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Below are the statistics, courtesy of Chairgun:
Grains,,,,,,,,,,Penetration,,,,,,,,,,,,Muzzle velocity,,,,,,,,,,Energy,,,,,,,, BC
-------------------(inches)-----------------(fps)---------------------(fpe)
68--------------- 5------------------------- 1080------------------- 176------ .0711
148------------- 7.5------------------------ 829------------------- 226------ .0727
80RN--------- 10.5---------------------- 1003------------------- 179------ .0817
158------------- 8--------------------------- 799------------------- 224------ .0902
120------------- 6.5------------------------ 890------------------- 211------ .1185
111------------- 7--------------------------- 903------------------- 201------ .1246
155FN------- 12--------------------------- 816------------------- 229------ .1952

(I had real trouble formatting this table, as whenever I pasted from MSWord it stuffed up. Any thoughts...can someone fix it for me, I'm going mad here!!?)

It was a fun test. I did a few too many at once, which made it difficult to follow the path of the slugs through the phone books, but I think I got it mostly right. One interesting slug was the 148 grainer, which, like another of Bob's HP's I tested a while back, shed its HP in petals and left the base to continue on.
Hope you find this interesting!
Cheers
Neil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 02:37PM by Jerry.
June 19, 2010 02:41PM
Great post Neil. It looks like the HPs work pretty well in wet paper. I suppose you'll be wanting my ballistic gell formula next!

I did what I could with the table. Apparently this software deletes "extra" spaces to save space so I just opened it up with characters.
June 19, 2010 05:36PM
Thanks Neil,

Great job. Very thorough. I can tell you enjoyed yourself.

thumbs up

Gary
June 20, 2010 07:59AM
Thanks Jerry for fixing that! I struggled for some time but my pea-brain couldn't find a solution more confused Hmmm, ballistic gel might be next......

Thanks Gary. Now I have to decide which slug(s) will be the best for any particular use. I guess I'll just have to keep shooting and shooting, what a choreshooter
Cheers
Neil
June 20, 2010 02:38PM
Hi Neil,

Happy Father's Day down under.

Yeah - you'll just have to keep shooting and posting here on the "ABB Forum". That's (Anything But Barnes). laughing again

Gary
June 22, 2010 06:01PM
Thanks for the Father's Day wishes Gary, but we don't celebrate it at this time. Hope you had a good one though! By the way, it's snowing here this morning. I'm going to leave a bit early for work in case the road over the hill is closed and I have to use the Lyttelton road tunnel.
Cheers
NeilSnowman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021